Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
lhj

Champagne or Mobile Suite?

We are considering a HH Champagne 2006 to full time in 2007. Anyone have any comments on the Champagne to help us decide between this and the Mobile Suites?

Old 11-26-2005, 02:08 AM   #2
The Mad Norsky

MS or Hitchhiker Champagne?

I've been reading through the posts here, most of which are appearing over on the Mobile Suites side of things for the moment.

I do see that no one has yet answered from the Hitchhiker side for you.

I do own a Hitchhiker, but it is not the Champagne but its "little brother" the Discover America series.

Frame size is one of the major differences between mine and the Champagne. The Discover America has an 8 inch C channel frame, while the Champagne has a 14 inch frame.

I suppose, comparing the same floorplan of Discover America to a similar Champagne, there is at least 1,000 pounds more to the Champagne weight, but that is guess work on my part.

I can tell you I am well pleased with my Hitchhiker. It is a quality unit, and has worked flawlessly for the three years I have owned it. I do believe my unit must have had great quality control at the factory, resulting in the trouble free operation I have enjoyed thus far.

I have had operational questions, and have called Hitchhiker directly for assistance. They have treated me like a family member, so to speak, and been excellent help when I needed assistance.

I would buy another Hitchhiker again, however, there is one drawback, in my mind at least.

I do feel Hitchhiker is somewhat, oh, how can I say this? Conservative, slower to change, not quite the flash or wow you get when comparing their floorplans and interiors to say Mobile Suites or the new KZ Escalade just for two examples. I have been through both the Mobile Suites and the KZ Escalade, and really liked the WOW factor both units gave me. Woodwork (dark cherry) and stainless fridge sure makes my wife love the Escalade..

So I guess I will close by saying that, to me, Hitchhiker is a very quality rig, but maybe without as much flash as the Mobile Suites.

So, there's a buyers problem. Substance or flash? (flash and substance too actually). Both are quality units, with good factory support.

Guess it may come down to who gives you the best deal.

Good Luck!

The Mad Norsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
lhj

Thanks for replying! I had quit checking to see if anyone had posted, because I was beginning to believe that there was not anyone that really liked their Hitchhiker, or at least they were not checking forums. I am glad to hear yours has been a good experience with HH. If you have not seen the new Champagne 06 floor plan, you should have a look, it is definitely a WOW. The wide slides directly across from each other in the living room makes for a spacious feeling, and I really like the dining room in the rear with the picture window. What I do not like is the tv is at an angle from the recliners, and the windows have a metal trim with screws that reminds me of the 10x50 mobile I lived in when I was 20. YUK! We are still leaning the MS direction, for maybe no other reason than a few cosmetic issues, the better insulation factor, the huge storage, and the great forum that MS has got for answers to questions. Also, you mentioned the Escalade. We also looked at that one and was impressed with it, but we have heard that they are going out of business.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
The Mad Norsky

Reply to your post

Quote: " but we have heard that they are going out of business. " Quote.

Wow, now that would be a shocker!

It seems a lot of the fifth wheel manufacturers are being bought out by bigger, investment type, consortiums.

Seems Teton Homes out of Wyoming was one, that was a surprise. Newmar another one, seems both companies may (Newmar already does) get into the motor home market as well.

I do hope your rumor is not correct. KZ builds a good product with the Escalade. Sure would put a lot of current owners in a mess if they do close down.

I do like that Hitchhiker floor plan you make reference to. With a second door option in back, it surely would be handy for fridge access with the slides in. Its a well thought out, nice fiver.
The Mad Norsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
Racefan

Quote:
I was beginning to believe that there was not anyone that really liked their Hitchhiker, or at least they were not checking forums

I thought you where looking for answers from someone who has a Champagne fifthwheel and that's why I didn't reply. I have a 2005 HitchHiker II LS 29.5 LKTG. Looked for over a year and found a great deal at the Pomona RV Show. In the year that we were looking, we were in Las Vegas and decided to check the out the local dealers and was introduced to the Mobile Suites. Great looking 5er. Very impressed with the quality. The reasons why we got the HitchHiker instead were, no local dealer. Las Vegas is over 300 miles away and they were the closes. Weight of the 5er. And the biggest reason was the lenght. I tow a double trailer and the lenght would have been over the limit. I am also not impressed with the HitchHiker factory. When I bought the 5er at the Pomona RV show, the dealer there was not the my local dealer. I asked Ed Cox, who was the factory rep there, if I were to purchase the 5er from the dealer there and if I had any problems could I take it to my local dealer. He said that my local dealer was new and that they haven't heard of any problems of warranty issues. Wouldn't you know it that I did have a problem with the 5er. Microwave oven didn't work. Light came on, turntable rotated but nothing got warm or hot. Called local dealer and was told that since I purchased the 5er from some other dealer that they would not work on it but when the warranty expires, bring it in. Yeah right. They just lost a customer. Talked to Mr. Cox the next day and he didn't remember the conversation we had. No back bone from the factory. All I wanted to do is take them the microwave so they could ship it back and pick up the new one when it came in. No support. I ended up driving 80 miles one way to the dealer I bought from and then went back the following weekend to get the new one. Wasn't NuWa's fault but after all the money they dropped the ball. I just hope nothing big goes wrong. Other than that, we have very much enjoyed the HitchHiker.

As for HitchHiker owners and forums, there are a couple of Yahoo forums for the HitchHiker and there is very little involvement there too. Hope this helps.
Racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
retired1949

Hitchhiker

We are fulltimers and workampers also. Currently we have a Mobile Suite and would love to get rid of it. We have lived in it for over 14 months and have been to MS dealers while traveling from Alabama to Arizona and in between.

The first year after being in it for 8 months we had 24 items that our dealer had to fix, and several that were fixed by us. One of the problems with MS is that they are not enough dealers for problem fixes.

As far as the Escalade, watch out, we stopped at a dealership in Texas to look at one and they said you had to be an exceptional dealer in order to sale those units. To us, that meant if we were in "ten buck two", we would be without a dealership. Check out the dealership list in whatever you purchase, make sure you are covered if you travel extensively which we do. Out MS pulls great with our Duramax diesel Sierra truck, we added air ride on the trailer as well as the pin box.
retired1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
HighwayRanger

In the interest of updating this forum a bit, anyone interested in researching NuWa products should check out NuWaowners.org. It is a great, active forum with everything you need to know about Hitchhikers!

I don't own either brand, but I've heard that Mobil Suites is mostly flash without the substance. They sure look nice, though! The NuWa stuff is definitely less flashy!
2016 DRV 38RSB3, MorRyde IS and MorRyde Pin Box
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
Diesel-Gypsy

Well Highway Ranger, it looks like the Mobilesuites "flash" may just be what the market was looking to buy.....
As of this month..there is no more NU WA....

C'est la vie!
Old 08-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
HighwayRanger

Actually, NuWa is alive and well, producing 2010 coaches now. They have revised their marketing and production plans, and are getting going. I am still not ready to make a purchase, but a HitchHiker Champagne is still on my short list!

Roy

2016 DRV 38RSB3, MorRyde IS and MorRyde Pin Box
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote