Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2020, 04:04 AM   #1
Rvdude22

Heater and ac issues

I am having an issue with my ac and my furnace flickering like a power surge. I know the issue isn’t in the main power because I have a surge protector on the pole. I also know that the fan motor was replaced on the rv a year ago by the previous owner along with a part on the furnace which I do not remember at the moment. I’m not sure where to start to look. I am also having an issue with the furnace not shutting off I do have the switch where I can change from ac to off to furnace. When in the off position this morning the heater after being in the off position for 5 hours it’s still blowing slightly warm air into the rv. All of this is on a 2007 keystone cougar fifthwheel.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Sounds like first place to start would be to replace the thermostat...or determine if it is defective.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
TMag

I 2nd the thermostat issues. You may also check out the connections at the fan and thermostat. Something could be loose
TMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:12 AM   #4
GeoTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdude22 View Post
I am having an issue with my ac and my furnace flickering like a power surge. I know the issue isn’t in the main power because I have a surge protector on the pole. I also know that the fan motor was replaced on the rv a year ago by the previous owner along with a part on the furnace which I do not remember at the moment. I’m not sure where to start to look. I am also having an issue with the furnace not shutting off I do have the switch where I can change from ac to off to furnace. When in the off position this morning the heater after being in the off position for 5 hours it’s still blowing slightly warm air into the rv. All of this is on a 2007 keystone cougar fifthwheel.
First off you need to determine, is the burner running? Is it just the blower? You stated that it was blowing slightly warm air? Yes it could be the stat, but you need to prove it before running out & buying a new one. Unless of course, you want to have a spare around just because. And then you say you have "flickering but have a surge protector? SP's work with tolerances. A surge (spike in voltage) is not the same as a dip in voltage, AKA a brownout if it lasts more than a couple seconds. Biggest thing you could do is to get a digital volt/ohm meter & learn to use it correctly before jumping into conclusions. You very well could be having 2 different problems going on here. I spent 30+ years in an HVAC business & can't say I seen it all, because when you think you have, something else always pops up!
GeoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
terry and jo

Also as an aside issue, one should consider getting one of the Progressive Industries power protection devices. When we first moved into our Mobile Suites, we stayed in a small mobile home park for 3 years until we retired. The electric supply there was old and kind of iffy, and I think that was the cause of us having the timer control on our washing machine going bad. We replaced the washer and after we moved, we had that second washing machine also go bad at the timer.

We had a Progressive Industries unit put in prior to going to Colorado in 2014, but I think that iffy power supply had affected the second washer as well. The PI units are designed to protect against both power surges and low voltage situations.

Progressive Industries Website

The PI unit that we have

They have different models besides the one we have. Ours is hard wired into the coach and has a remote display in the closet by the RV entry door.
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote