Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #1
OCB

Type screw used

My knowledge is limited and often any knowledge enough to get in trouble. But going on the theory that the only dumb question is the question that didn't get ask.
What type screws does DRV use in their assembly. It appears to be Stainless connecting fiberglass siding to the Aluminum stubs. Which is great from understanding if no moisture is present. I backed a screw out on the lower front cap, the screw appears to have had galvanic corrosion and aluminum transferred to stainless. From DRV factory visit, I don't remember any of the screw threads being coated before being used.
The down side of steel screws would be rust. Any solutions? Use #12 stainless screws to replace loose #10 screws?
Clay

OCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
Cummins12V98

They are not stainless. Tough a magnet to them.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
ford truck guy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
They are not stainless. Tough a magnet to them.

*** BUT ***

Depending on the size, *some* Stainless material will gain a bit of magnetic ability from the machining process... not 100% fool proof.....
ford truck guy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford truck guy11 View Post
*** BUT ***

Depending on the size, *some* Stainless material will gain a bit of magnetic ability from the machining process... not 100% fool proof.....
So you think you know your metals HUH.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #5
ford truck guy11

Cummins12V98 -

Just enough to get myself into trouble
Old 07-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Cummins12V98 -

Just enough to get myself into trouble
Shouldn't you be "WORKING"

Old 07-27-2021, 06:03 PM   #7
ford truck guy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Shouldn't you be "WORKING"
I am... left at 5:30 this AM and went to our New England office, left there and dropped down our Long Island office where I am at now...

Some of us still " WORK "
Old 07-28-2021, 08:47 AM   #8
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCB View Post
My knowledge is limited and often any knowledge enough to get in trouble. But going on the theory that the only dumb question is the question that didn't get ask.
What type screws does DRV use in their assembly. It appears to be Stainless connecting fiberglass siding to the Aluminum stubs. Which is great from understanding if no moisture is present. I backed a screw out on the lower front cap, the screw appears to have had galvanic corrosion and aluminum transferred to stainless. From DRV factory visit, I don't remember any of the screw threads being coated before being used.
The down side of steel screws would be rust. Any solutions? Use #12 stainless screws to replace loose #10 screws?
Clay
Rest assured - they do not use stainless.

And no doubt they material used is the cheapest alloys imported from a particularly nasty communist country that recently tried to ot kill off the world's population.

You will also find along your structure travels, wood screws used in sheet metal, sheet metal screw used in wood, self tappers whenever they grab some, hex head drilling screws in wood and the shortest smallest hex head drilling screws I've seen holding up the corroplast.

Lots of staples and no glue and 17 boxes of carpet staples, with a good portion that were not seated and stick up just enough to find without shoes.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
Cummins12V98

Quote:
I am... left at 5:30 this AM and went to our New England office, left there and dropped down our Long Island office where I am at now...

Some of us still " WORK "

Me no comprehend that "WORD".

Old 07-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #10
Cummins12V98

"You will also find along your structure travels, wood screws used in sheet metal, sheet metal screw used in wood, self tappers whenever they grab some, hex head drilling screws in wood and the shortest smallest hex head drilling screws I've seen holding up the corroplast.

Lots of staples and no glue and 17 boxes of carpet staples, with a good portion that were not seated and stick up just enough to find without shoes."

You too HUH???

Old 07-28-2021, 07:57 PM   #11
OCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
Rest assured - they do not use stainless.

And no doubt they material used is the cheapest alloys imported from a particularly nasty communist country that recently tried to ot kill off the world's population.

You will also find along your structure travels, wood screws used in sheet metal, sheet metal screw used in wood, self tappers whenever they grab some, hex head drilling screws in wood and the shortest smallest hex head drilling screws I've seen holding up the corroplast.

Lots of staples and no glue and 17 boxes of carpet staples, with a good portion that were not seated and stick up just enough to find without shoes.
Duane You hit it on the head, especially the carpet staples.

Yes the screws like the magnet. I AssUmed the stainless as the back side of the pan head is shiny (maybe assumed to be chrome) with paint on the driver side.
Thanks Clay
Old 07-29-2021, 09:03 AM   #12
porthole

Quote:
Duane You hit it on the head, especially the carpet staples.

Yes the screws like the magnet. I AssUmed the stainless as the back side of the pan head is shiny (maybe assumed to be chrome) with paint on the driver side.
Thanks Clay
If you ever get a chance to the tour the plant, make sure to watch the guy who attaches the radius to the roof. He gets paid by the staple.
2020 F-450
Old 07-29-2021, 09:42 PM   #13
OCB

I have toured the plant twice, 2015 and 2019 Rally. In 2019, My roof was repaired in DRV shop. The ODS roof radius was lifting on the inside edge. The correct installation is the glue is put down, then the radius put down and stapled to hold till the glue sets-up. However in my case the abundance of staples did not match up with glued area an gave up after about 20,000 miles.

Clay 2016 MS 38PS3/Dallas
Old 09-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #14
dionyzj@hotmail.com

The screws DRV uses on the exterior are complete junk. Have had 3 of them fail, looesening the trim pieces. Also had head break off when trying to tighten them to secure trim.
It is pure stupidity and/or cheapskating on DRV's part to use these crappy srews!
These should ALL be stainless steel, as they are exposed to the environment. It would not cost DRV much to do this.
dionyzj@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #15
OCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionyzj@hotmail.com View Post
The screws DRV uses on the exterior are complete junk. Have had 3 of them fail, looesening the trim pieces. Also had head break off when trying to tighten them to secure trim.

These should ALL be stainless steel, as they are exposed to the environment. It would not cost DRV much to do this.

To explain the stainless issue, it is dis-similar metals.

https://www.marshfasteners.com/can-s...used-together/

On the heads breaking off, I had my RV less than 6 months when I noted a couple screw heads missing on the bottom bedroom slide, I disassembled the metal angle piece and found the pilot holes was smaller than screw shank. The screw was stressed before it was set.
Clay
Old 09-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #16
porthole

Quote:
To explain the stainless issue, it is dis-similar metals.

https://www.marshfasteners.com/can-s...used-together/

On the heads breaking off, I had my RV less than 6 months when I noted a couple screw heads missing on the bottom bedroom slide, I disassembled the metal angle piece and found the pilot holes was smaller than screw shank. The screw was stressed before it was set.
Clay
Those screws were stressed when they came off the production and were dumped into a box.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:15 PM   #17
Notanlines

Most everything I have ever seen are self-tapping, no pilot holes.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:35 AM   #18
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Most everything I have ever seen are self-tapping, no pilot holes.

They even used self drilling on the interior bathroom door latch into wood, idiots!

Tags
corrision