Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
Musicman

Pressure Washer

Anybody ever use a pressure washer to clean a rubber roof?

G

Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:28 AM   #2
Tetoner

Location: Black Hills of SD. in summer, anywhere south winters.
Nope, I can't see any advantage to it. hard to get it up there and you don't need that much pressure to wash the roof. It could force a leak. I have a pressure washer that I use on my truck and the sidewalls and endcaps of the Coach, but not the roof.
I use a long handled scrub brush up there and a regular garden hose end sprayer. I use Borax and a tad of bleach. After its dry I apply a coat of "303" UV protector and buff it. my roofs look good forever.
Mike

https://mpmcfall.tripod.com/
www.PressureProSystem.com
Tetoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
bstark

Yep; I have a number of times without any negative reports. I don't use any petroleum-based cleaners. I have used a citrus-based cleaner applied by a brush from a bucket since this trailer was new in 01 with no application of sealers or protectants and I get very little "chalking" from the roof on the sides of my trailer. I do not put the nozzle of the 1300PSI unit close to the membrane or let it remain in one spot. All the normal precautions with the use of pressure washers used to clean anything apply. I have found it works well to clean the large sealant ridges around vents, skylights etc.. I also use the above method to clean the slide-out topper awnings. I run the water suppy hose and extension cord up the ladder and have the pressure washer right on the roof with me.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:12 PM   #4
jauth

I clean our fiberglass roof with a power washer all the time...Get an extra 25ft. hose then just leave the washer on the ground...Pick up hose at Walmart....Works for Me.....Jim
jauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:22 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine

Used properly the use of a Pressure washer is safe. BUT if you point the spray at the roof or any where else for an extended period of time expect to do damage. I have seen the pointed spray of a pressure washer drill through wood.
I don't use the PW on the roof but I have used it on the sides and front with no damage to the graphics.

Just a note about protectants...
EPDM rubber roofing membrane is made to last 20 years or longer and has a 10 to 12 year guarantee depending on the brand. The guarantee does not require the use of any protective 'roof treatment' or 'roof protector' product and recommends only cleaning. Unlike natural rubber (latex) or blends (tires & wiper blades), EPDM does not require periodic applications of any product to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone.

The statement or implication that you should purchase and apply a product to "protect" your rubber roof the elements is misinformation. Buying and using such a product can be a mistake and may even damage the EPDM membrane.

On the road again in a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Extended Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide hitch to pull a 2004 Montana 2955RL 32' 5th Wheel
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote