Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Terry Mudford

Big Horn 5th Wheel

skip to main | skip to sidebar Big Horn 5th Wheel

Thursday, April 10, 2008
Big Horn 5th Wheel by Heartlandrv

In April, 2007, we purchased a new Big Horn 5th wheel by Heartland, model #3760. There were many problems before we even pulled the rig off the lot, including but not limited to: slides left gaps of open air up to 2 inches at bottom; both end caps leaked causing water to collect in the bottom seal; over 50% of the trim pieces inside fell off; 1 1/2 inch staples were protruding through all slide seals. These things were fixed under warranty, but not correctly. Not only did these problems recur, when we took our first trip pulling the rig, the frame in front broke. Heartland insisted we travel all the way to Indiana (from the West Coast) to the factory to do the required welding and other repairs. The welding was done immediately; however, we spent 10 days there waiting for parts to be delivered - from the factory within 10 miles! The company contracted to do the repairs was wonderful, and really went to bat for us with Heartland. This included negotiating to have our hotel bills for this period paid by Heartland; something we had been told they absolutely would NOT do. This company also found the rollers on the slides were the wrong ones and were tearing the bottom seals and fixed this problem. Within 500 miles of leaving Indiana, the frame problems recurred. Heartland wanted us to return to Indiana, something we could not do due to previous obligations. They were completely uncooperative and unsympathetic to the defects in this rig and our problems. We feel this rig was a lemon and strongly encourage prospective buyers to consider our problems and be extremely cautious about the quality of construction of Heartland products. After reaching our destination, a whole new list of problems were discovered, along with the unresolved issue of the frame breaking; for this reason, we traded it in on a different 5th wheel. Because the Big Horn was less than a year old, we lost about $20,000 in this transaction. BUYER BEWARE - DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! The combination of inferior quality, poor workmanship, and a company unwilling to stand behind its product will hit you right where it hurts - the pocketbook, not to mention the stress and headaches involved!

Posted by Big Horn 5th Wheel by Heartlandrv at 10:20 AM 0 comments
Labels: Big Horn 5th Wheels by Heartland
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom) Blog Archive
â–¼ 2008 (1)
â–¼ April (1)
About Me
View my complete profile

Terry Mudford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
cgunn

Bighorn Problems

I see nobody has responded to this,so I will.
Sorry about all the problems.
I will say by experience that yours is the exception.
We have been full timing in our Bighorn since January
and have had only small problems that I have taken care of.
Heartland WILL stand behind their product.
I think that if you ask around and do some research
you will find this to be true,but that doesn't fix yours I know.

I guess there is at least one lemon in every barrel.

good luck.....charlie

2005 F-350 Crew-Cab 4x4
Dish Network
Alltel Data-Link
cgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
cgunn

Bighorn Problems

I see nobody has responded to this,so I will.
Sorry about all the problems.
I will say by experience that yours is the exception.
We have been full timing in our Bighorn since January
and have had only small problems that I have taken care of.
Heartland WILL stand behind their product.
I think that if you ask around and do some research
you will find this to be true,but that doesn't fix yours I know.

I guess there is at least one lemon in every barrel.

good luck.....charlie
2005 F-350 Crew-Cab 4x4
Dish Network
Alltel Data-Link
cgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
rockyman

love our new Bighorn, got a great deal at www.lakeshore-rv.com and are now getting ready to travel of the next 6 months.
rockyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
frendov

I ran across this forum when I was looking for a Bighorn schematic. Just my two cents, but I feel we also got a lemon. We traded in our 2006 Cedar Creek thinking we were buying up when we purchased a 2009 Bighorn 3670RL. We had it customized at the factory and it was to be shipped to the dealer in Idaho in time for Christmas. Our first indication of things to come should have been when it didn't arrive on time. We eventually found out due to a miscommunication somewhere it had set on a lot for 4 days instead of being shipped out. When we finally got to pick it up, during the walk through we noticed several things that were wrong (light switches upside down, an accordian door instead of a swinging door among other things) but by that time we were in a time crunch and had to take it and head back to California. We had barely gotten half way home when the furnace went out. This was a real problem due to the fact that we were traveling in January and it was snowing. From the time we got it home it was one thing after another. For the most part Heartland honored the warranty, (although not without a fight sometimes) but now the warranty has expired and things are still going terribly wrong. The chance of getting decent trade in value seems to plummet more every day. We'd better hurry if we want anything at all! Rest assured our next RV will NOT be a Heartland product.
frendov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
ishie

Send a message via Yahoo to ishie
Re: Big Horn 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Mudford
skip to main | skip to sidebar Big Horn 5th Wheel

Thursday, April 10, 2008

In April, 2007, we purchased a new Big Horn 5th wheel by Heartland, model #3760. There were many problems before we even pulled the rig off the lot, including but not limited to: slides left gaps of open air up to 2 inches at bottom; both end caps leaked causing water to collect in the bottom seal; over 50% of the trim pieces inside fell off; 1 1/2 inch staples were protruding through all slide seals. These things were fixed under warranty, but not correctly. Not only did these problems recur, when we took our first trip pulling the rig, the frame in front broke. Heartland insisted we travel all the way to Indiana (from the West Coast) to the factory to do the required welding and other repairs. The welding was done immediately; however, we spent 10 days there waiting for parts to be delivered - from the factory within 10 miles! The company contracted to do the repairs was wonderful, and really went to bat for us with Heartland. This included negotiating to have our hotel bills for this period paid by Heartland; something we had been told they absolutely would NOT do. This company also found the rollers on the slides were the wrong ones and were tearing the bottom seals and fixed this problem. Within 500 miles of leaving Indiana, the frame problems recurred. Heartland wanted us to return to Indiana, something we could not do due to previous obligations. They were completely uncooperative and unsympathetic to the defects in this rig and our problems. We feel this rig was a lemon and strongly encourage prospective buyers to consider our problems and be extremely cautious about the quality of construction of Heartland products. After reaching our destination, a whole new list of problems were discovered, along with the unresolved issue of the frame breaking; for this reason, we traded it in on a different 5th wheel. Because the Big Horn was less than a year old, we lost about $20,000 in this transaction. BUYER BEWARE - DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! The combination of inferior quality, poor workmanship, and a company unwilling to stand behind its product will hit you right where it hurts - the pocketbook, not to mention the stress and headaches involved!

Posted by Big Horn 5th Wheel by Heartlandrv at 10:20 AM 0 comments
Labels: Big Horn 5th Wheels & Rims by Heartland
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom) Blog Archive
â–¼ 2008 (1)
â–¼ April (1)
About Me
View my complete profile
is there any parts for a cheaper cost in there? i was planning to buy one. any help will do. thanks a lot.

ishie is offline   Reply With Quote