Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
kdclc1

HELP......Mice damage to electrical system

Hello, I am looking for some experienced advice on an issue on a 2011 DRV Elite Suites 38RESB3 that we have put a deposit on.
1 the Camper is an absolute Cherry and everything we want in a Camper.
2 during my own pre purchase inspection I discovered some electrical issues.
3 I was able to contact the previous owner who bought the Camper new and traded it in 1 week ago, here's what he said...

"I used the Camper about 3 times during the 5 yrs. I had it, when not in use it was stored in the Barn. During that time it was inhabited by mice and yes, I am aware of the electrical issues"

4 so far my discussions with experienced technicians indicate the interior walls may need to be removed to correctly repair the wiring.
5 DRV uses Wool Insulation, I am extremely concerned about the cost and fire hazard even after the defective wires are repaired due to some electrical arching caused by unidentified compromised wires having the insulation knawed by mice.
6 I have contacted the Inspection Company who is scheduled to Inspect the Camper, they are hesitant about the Camper.

Has anyone else been through something like this in either an owner or technician capacity? I would appreciate your candor. Thx Kevin & Cheryl.

kdclc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

I would contact DRV about the flammability (sp?) of the insulation--I would think that there is some flame retardant applied. The only fires I have heard about in DRVs (most any other brand, for that matter) involved the refrigerators.
As to the wiring--that COULD get expensive, but a lot of the wiring is run through the frame area and above the belly cover. The time involved in isolating any wiring problem will be the real cost. And removing the interior walls IS going to be hard and expensive. I don't think an inspection company is going to do anything but confirm the problems--they don't fix them or estimate repair costs, to my knowledge.
Is the selling dealer willing to cover the cost of repairs? Is the unit anywhere near the factory in Howe, IN?
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
missourijan

This is certainly a thorny issue. IF it requires replacing wiring anywhere in the walls I would pass on it. Would you really feel that there was no danger of fire? Rodents are so damaging, we had squirrels chewing on our truck wiring last year, caught it quickly, but still had $275 repair bill. We now use mothballs, dryer sheets or whatever will keep them away.
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
kdclc1

Thanks for the info:

The Inspection / Repair Company is sending the owner to perform the electrical inspection after I discussed with them the electrical problems. They will also be able to provide a quote to repair the problems.

I spoke with Ed Fry, Service Manager at DRV this morning he indicated it could be several things including: bad switches, no power output from the fuze box, or compromised wiring due to rodents.

We will be doing our electrical testing tomorrow morning.....I hope it's just a cold and not pneumonia, we really want the Camper.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
With all my years in the auto repair business, one thing I learned. Most everything is repairable, if you have the time and the money. With repair places now charging $100 per hour and up, it doesn't take long to start to go through a lot of $$$$. Parts for a repair like this would be a fraction of the labor costs. It would be interesting to know if the old owner that traded it in told the dealership. If they knew, why did they not fix it first? If they knew and figured they could sell it as is without the costs involved to make it right, shame on them. When we ever got in a vehicle with amimal damage it was time and materials and I only had one guy that would take the time to do it right, but it was costly. He treated everything like it was his and his work showed that care. Not all techs are at all like him. Just read some of the horror stories on RV.net The idea for you will be to repair it back to factory look, as not to have any indications it was torn apart and repaired. Depending on the tech's ability, concern and interest in someone elses property will determine the final work and costs. Be aware of what you could end up with.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
Cummins12V98

I don't care how "CHERRY" this thing is I would RUN the other way!!! Why have potential headaches just to save a few bucks.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
kdclc1

Well we finally got to the bottom of it:
1 I had an expert electrician test the entire electrical system, after a comprehensive electrical analysis there is no ground fault. We were able to run all of the electrical systems on 50 amp service and generator service.

2 he identified one faulty switch and a lot of burned out light bulbs, yes the Camper had mice in it during the previous owners storage but the electrical system was not compromised.

3 we are really happy things turned out the way they did, we will take possession of the Camper on Monday.

4 none of the slides are Schwintek.

5 Thank you to everyone who offered their opinions, I appreciate your replies.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
kdclc1

Here is a photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (60.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
kdclc1

Another photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (52.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
kdclc1

Here's another one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (64.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #11
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Whatever you paid the electrican was well worth the piece of mind you now have. Great looking rig, your going to have a blast!!

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote