Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
BlueSkyRanch

Restringing the day/night shade

I met a couple at the Tampa RV show on Wed who own a 2005 MS and the gentleman said he has become an expert (actually I think she said that) anyway. An expert at rest restringing shades. He also said he reads the posts daily so I'm hoping he reads this. Could you contact me? I'm interested in talking more about restringing my shades. My email is masterson100@gmail.com

Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
porkchop

Steve, they're really not too hard to do. I ordered the string kit from the manuf. and it came with instructions and, best of all, some good pictures.
The first one took me a little over an hour, #2 about 30 minutes. Just spread it out on a table with plenty of room to start. I think the kit was around $20 but could be wrong.

Bill

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

Second that is an easy-to-learn process. We have done all the shades in our '05. Once you go thru and make some simple mistakes and do it over, you are now the expert.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
USA in a Chevrolet

The Dirty Blind Man sells kits with stronger strings than the original. He has a CD which shows how to restring. I believe his website is dirtyblindman.com. He is very helpful on the phone as well. As others have said it is pretty easy to do after you have done the first one. By the way, he told me the wat to make the strings last longer is to always move the shades slowly to avoid friction on the strings.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Motor31

Another way to make the strings last longer is to use the minimum tension required to hold the blind in place. The blinds in our rig were set so tight they were very hard to move up or down. That lead to early failure of the strings, go figure. Doing the restring is pretty easy and there was an earlier thread on this forum about it. That thread had diagrams and instructions to show how to do the job. When I got replacement string from the manufacturer they sent instructions for all kinds of windows from 2 through 4 string set ups. The hardest part of the job is just deciding to do it.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
missourijan

I had a seminar at the Central Region rally in October in Grove, OK and re strung a blind. Someone posted the written instructions from Specialty Blinds on the suite owners site. It's really easy, just a little patience and a large flat surface, like a patio table. I found the diagrams far more helpful than the written instructions. I have purchased string from Specialty Blinds, Jo Ann Fabrics (only comes in white and you have to dye it whatever color you need) and Wal Mart (also white). It all seems about the same quality. Some people have used a cotton type fishing line. I restrung almost all the blinds in our Select in 5 1/2 years, we just bought a Mobile and ready to restring those too.
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Beaver

re string blinds

Had a problem with a couple of them. Called the company and if you pay the shipping they will restring at no charge.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Gemstone

Last time I needed stringing material, I bought 1000 yards from DRV, Doeskin color...I will sell what you need.... you pay postage and 10 cents a yard for the string.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
2blackdogs

I just used my second batch of string I got from DRV.
One important thing is to cut the new string longer than the old string, much longer.
Another thing to make it easier is to use a LARGE needle to help snake the cord through the blinds.

Trailer Saver hitch
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST
2blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote