Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
saddlebum13

tire replaqcement

Hello,
I have a 29' Terry Dakota and I had a tire go bad on a trip. When I got home I called the local tire store for a new tire. The tire was a ST205 75R/15 with a max 50 psi. The tire that I was sold is the same size except it has a D rating and 65 psi max. Should I put this on my camper with the 3 tires having a 50 psi max? He says it is an 8 ply tire and better than what I had and won't hurt anything. I don't know.
Thanks.
saddlebum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
LindaH

I'd be reluctant to put a dissimilar tire on. If it were me, I'd either buy new tires all the way around (how old are the tires currently on your rig, by the way?) or I'd at least buy a second tire of the same kind you just bought and put both of them on the same axle.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500
https://earl-linda.blogspot.com
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Motor31

You didn't mention what could be some important issues.

How old are the tires? If they are more than 5 - 6 years old it's time to replace them all no matter how much tire tread is left. Tires deteriorate from ozone and sun exposure weakening them. They also deteriorate when left in one position for a long time as the oils in the rubber leach out from the portion contacting the ground leaving a hard brittle section of tire that takes a "set" where it is compressed against the ground.

What is the weight of the rig, real weight not a guesstimate? Are the tires overloaded when you are traveling? You need to run the rig over a scale while loaded as if going out and compare what the axles are supporting to the sidewall figures indicating what the tires are rated to support. If the rig weighs more than the tires are built for, you will have more failures until you lighten the rig or install better tires.

Do you check the pressure each day before moving? Inflated properly for the load the tires will run cooler and last longer.

Lastly never replace one tire on an axle with another tire of a different rating or size. Replace both tires on the same axle with tires that are the same. Replacing them all around is best when it's time to do so. Don't forget the spare especially if it is outside and exposed to the elements. If you are replacing the mounted tires with something different (size or weight rating) change the spare too.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
jas24

tires

You might also want to check to see if the rims on your trailer are ok to put 65psi in instead of 50psi. Some rims are onlty made for 50psi and you cannot use them for more air than they are made to handle.

06 F-350 Lariat 4x4 V-10 CC SRW LB
06 Mobile Suites 36CK3
jas24 is offline   Reply With Quote