Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
FloridaFran

We need friends

I have been searching for a forum like this for months. It seems as if this forum is not really active, but I hope it will provide us with some help.

We retired from 24/7 careers six years ago and moved to gated community in Florida. Six years later and we know no one in our neighborhood. Everyone seems to socialize over soccer games with children.

In defense of our neighbors, we are probably difficult to get to know because we travel extensively.....spent only 76 days at our home in 2009.

Have moved out of gated community and into 40' RV parked in an RV Resort, where we hope to live fairly full-time. We selected an RV resort hoping that we would be able to make friends. We really do not seem to know how to do that. Most of the people in our RV resort seem significantly older than we are, but I am sure we feel younger than we look.

We are 65, graduate college degrees, interested in reading, writing, photography, jewelry-making, cooking, foreign languages, travel, grandchildren, movies and current events.

Our RV resort offers card games a few times each week as well as the ubiquitous bingo game. We have attended a pot luck and morning coffee. The pot luck was really "eat and run". No one seemed interested in visiting. The same situation happened at the morning coffee.

We have tried to engage people in conversation when they are sitting outside of their units. We have not felt warmly welcomed. I do not think the culture of the RV Resort is anti-social as I see groups of people together all of the time. I just do not know how to get into those groups. Any suggestions?

FloridaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Crows and pigeons flock.
Eagles sore alone!

Sounds like your an eagle.

You need to find something in common with others to join in with them.

2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

friends

What brand of RV do you have? The first step would be to look up the owner's forum for that brand, get some conversations going and maybe attend a rally, if they have one.
There has to be some couples with your same interests, but you will have to work some to meet them.
Keep at it, you'll run into them soon enough!
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
gypsybill

We have been rv'ing only since '03 and full-timing since late '09, but in all the parks, "resorts", etc, we have been in we simply walk, greet, talk to any that will respond. Having our dog with us seems to break the ice at times, but simply being friendly works most of the time.. we have been at our current park since last Oct and have made some friends that we will keep (albeit at a distance and infrequent meetings) and we have met those that would barely acknowledge our existence. But that is the beauty of the full-time lifestyle.. we got wheels and we can go find new places and hopefully new "friends" in other places.

I agree with wingnut, search out your owners group online and hook up with them. Also look at other clubs such as Escapees, etc., to find those that have more things in common with you and yours..

Good luck and as was said early, keep pluggin' away at it...
2010 DRV MS 36RSSB3 #5073
gypsybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Motor31

We tend not to do much socializing when we move around. We'll talk to folks we pass while walking or welcome newcomers to the space next to us as well as wish the departing folks a good trip. Occasionally we find other folks who have similar interests either in style or brand of rig, or even tow vehicle. Other folks we see on a regular basis we are friends with. It all depends on where you go and what you do. Often a "resort" is populated with folks who are rather shall we say class conscious or stuck up. We tend to find every day folks at the more reasonably priced parks to be friendlier.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

friends

I think Mike has said it very well for the majority of us who have trailers.
Joe
Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
LindaH

I agree with Motor31...a resort may not be the place to find friends. You say that you are retired...so what's keeping you in Florida? That motorhome of yours has wheels...take advantage of them and get out there and do some traveling!

Join the Escapees, if you have not already, and take advantage of their Chapter meetings and Escapades. Volunteer to do something at one of these get togethers...there's probably no better way of meeting and getting to know people. Join one or more of their numerous BOFs (Birds of A Feather) and attend their get togethers and, as above, volunteer to help out.

Since you have a motorhome, join FMCA, and attend some of their functions around the country. As others have said, seek out an owners group for your brand of RV and go to their get togethers.

If there's something that's keeping you in Florida so that you cannot do much traveling, then pitch in and volunteer at the RV resort...help out with the potlucks, offer to setup to take down chairs and tables for the games, the potlucks, meetings, whatever. In short, get involved.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500
https://earl-linda.blogspot.com
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

Friends

FloridaFran,
You still out there?
Joe
Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
kelly

I, too, have experienced cold shoulders when trying to make new friends at RV resorts. I'm not sure if it's the culture, or if I've simply ran into unfriendly people. Either way, I think it's up to you to create your own fun and if you aren't feeling welcome at a certain resort, hop in your RV and go elsewhere. There's plenty of opportunity out there and you'll eventually find people who you mesh with.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
wingnut60
Site Team

friends

Not sure where floridafan went, but building relationships can be quite accidental, or can be an objective.

This last week, I found a CG outside Lake City, CO, on the internet and got a 4-day reservation. After getting there and setting up, I found myself in the midst of all Texas plates. My 3 closest neighbors were all from within 30 miles of my home and I had never met them any where on the road. Now I have 6 more "friends."

Joe