Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > Tech Topics and General RV Maintenance > General Maintenance and Repairs
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2023, 09:10 PM   #1
Brett

Potential new 5th wheeler. Have a question about axles.

Looking at a Solitude with gross max wt of 15K. It comes with two 7000# axles. I haven't ever had an RV before but appears that is good for 14000# maximum. But the trailer weight exceeds that. I've noticed the same on other 5th wheel manufacturers as well. Two 7000# axles for weights over 15000. What am I missing here? Seems like a guarantee of premature failure.

Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:33 AM   #2
CaptainPalapa

Seems like a good question. We have a Momentum, triple axle. Each at 7000 lbs. And our max GVWR is 20,000 lbs. So... yeah, what gives on your numbers? You should have the 8000 lb rated axles, one would think.

Old 06-07-2023, 07:59 PM   #3
fjr vfr

That's because they are expecting 20% of that 15000# to be the pin weight and supported by the truck. Your pin weight will be right around 3000# Your axles will have 12000# on them. As with any 5th wheel you should have 20% of the gross on the pin for the tv and trailer to have the best handling.
Most of the manufactures do cheap it out and install tires and axles that are just a little more than needed. If you use your trailer a lot, you might look into upgrading your suspension.
And btw the dry weights and hitch weights they list for your trailer are actually a weight taken on the manufacturing floor with no gas bottles, batteries, spare tire, accessories of any sort....so those weights should NEVER be used in figuring out anything. The best thing everyone should do is to drive on the CAT scale at a truck stop and get an actual weight. It only cost $10. Well worth it to know exactly how much you weigh on both tv axles and trailer axles. Until you can weigh it always use the gross weight and 20% for the pin to get a rough estimate.
Hope this helps.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 09:39 AM   #4
Brett

Thanks. Didn't think about the pin taking some of that weight. I did go by the GVWR of 15K instead of the UWR. Still, I agree that it does seem like they're walking that line of bare minimum. I'll probably work an upgraded axle/suspension into my negotiation when the time comes.
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:15 PM   #5
Dave The AV Guy

And if you do decide to upgrade the suspension, which would be a very good idea, consider the MORryde independent system and also their rubber pin box as well. Those systems combined will give you and your trailer a softer more comfortable ride. If you have lots of cash to spare, look at a Trailer Saver 5th wheel hitch with airbags. We've had the MORryde stuff for many years, but last year did the upgrade to the Trailer Saver hitch, and that provided yet another significant improvement.
Dave The AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:17 PM   #6
Tenbrooks

Understand that the axles do not carry the entire weight of the trailer when you are traveling. The tow vehicle carries around 20% at the 5th wheel (pin weight). So, if your axles are rated at 7000 lb. and your total weight is 15,000 lb., you're good to go. Remember that you've got around 3,000 lb of weight on the pin and that should be a part of the total gross weight for towing that your truck is required to pull. That plus, the weight of people, fuel, coolers full of drinks, etc., etc. are all part of the tow vehicle tow weight.
2019 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4
Tenbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 06:04 PM   #7
MTK46

It may not have 7000# axles. My DRV has 8000# axles that the weight tag shows they rate them at 7500#.
Anyway as others have posted 20%+ will be carried by the pin. My GVRW is 18500 with a pin weight when fully loaded of 4200 lbs.
So don't worry the (2) 7000# axles are just fine.

2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5556
2017 F-350 CC 6.7 diesel dually, Banks Derringer tuner with super gauge
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote