Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
louwho99

May need cooling unit for Dometic RM 1350 fridge

When it rains, it pours. Last week, the furnace failed. This week, the refrigerator has failed. Haven't determined yet if the cooling unit is the problem, we're trying to figure it out. But if that's the problem, I want to get the replacement part from a reliable source. Local RV dealer wants $993 for the unit. Does anyone know of a reliable source where I can buy a cooling unit cheaper than that?

Update - I'm realizing I may have asked a dumb question (Not unusual for me.) I assumed cooling units were a relatively small part that could be ordered online & shipped to me. But I just watched a short video online about replacing the unit & it looked pretty large. I'm thinking that I'll have to purchase it locally or shipping would be pricey. Is that right?

Update #2 - Well, more looking around online & I did see a company that will ship the unit & the shipping cost is not too bad.

Cindy
2008 MS 38RLSB3

louwho99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Diesel-Gypsy

Before you jump, see if there might just be a smaller issue with the unit.
1st thing is check to see if it will not work on gas or electric.

Rick

Old 12-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
bstark

Oh boy; Rick's query is sure timely and pertinent.

If you've zeroed in on a cooling unit without verifying board, thermistor, relays etc., are all functional; you could go through a rather labour intensive & expensive cooling unit replacement and still have a problem afterwards.

Fridges are very sensitive to a full 12volt integrity loss. If you're not getting a full 12volts to the board ~ that's the first thing to fix.

Control board, relay to heater element & solenoid packs are all 12v energized.

Thermistor resistance response can be verified across the leads after unplugging it and immersing it into a cup of hot water etc.. There was once a thread on here (06?) where the Ohms values for a healthy thermistor were given

Checking your heating element resistance can also tell you if the element is failing.

My rig with it's crappy Dometic RM 2620 used up 120v heating elements like they were gumdrops. I carried spares of all the items such as board, thermistor and multiple heating elements.

Got really good at manhandling those dang heating elements out of the rusty tubing on the side of the boiler, blood loss was minimal after the 4th or 5th such endeavour.

Do your homework vis-à-vis cooling units very carefully as some offer premium pricing due to using thinner wall tubing and that's a deal breaker right there. Look for units with proven history, thicker wall tubing, especially at boiler junctions and who ship with all required items such as thermo-mastic compound used to provide thermo bonding between unit and inner cabinet cooling fins.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
GlennWest

could you use a residential fridge? That's what I would do. The new energy star units sips power.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
louwho99

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. My husband is going thru the suggestions, the fridge manual, plus the Trailer Life RV Repair manual & checking things one by one. So far, he hasn't zeroed in on what's not working. Seems like it will be a process of elimination until he hits on the problem. We have power to the fridge, the display is working & he did check to be sure we're getting the 12 volts. We don't have an ammonia smell or any powdery substance, so I'm hoping it's not the cooling unit. I just wanted to have an idea where to get one if it did come down to that. It's still a mystery that I hope we solve soon!!
louwho99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
BillK

If your cooling unit has leaked, it usually is pretty obvious. You should have smelled it as the stench is similar to rotten eggs. Also there will be a yellow/greeiish residue around the rear of the unit where it has leaked.

BillK is offline   Reply With Quote