Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
GlennWest

5th wheel adapter

Anyone know DRV position on using a 5th wheel adapter on a Mobile Suite 2006 32TK3? I'm aware some manufacturers frame aren't strong enough. My truck will also be my commute and I'd like to still have my bed. I have a B&W Companion hitch planned but would rather go adapter if can.

GlennWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
BobW

Re: 5th wheel adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennWest
Anyone know DRV position on using a 5th wheel adapter on a Mobile Suite 2006 32TK3?
Explain adaptor. I can think of a hundred adaptors.

2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Motor31

If you are talking about a goose neck, that is a different style hitch on the truck not an adapter. You would need an adapter on the pin box of the trailer to use one. I am not much in favor of that kind of hitch for a heavy unit like a DRV rig. It's like putting a lever on the pin box and increasing the forces for both pushing and pulling while you are driving down the road.

Most 5th wheel hitches can be removed from the truck by just pulling 4 pins. The rails will stay in the bed but won't interfere with using the bed of the truck for cargo after you drop the trailer. You can even let your hitch stay hooked to the trailer when you drop the trailer and it will dangle from the pin box just fine.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
GlennWest

Check out the B&W Companion hitch and you have no rails when it comes out. Uses my existing 5th wheel mount for strength. I'm aware the Goose neck adapter puts more stress on front of unit hitch point. I have seen these used successfully for years and I've seen front of units torn out. Not a pretty sight. That is why I'm asking before doing this. If the frame is strong enough it would be fine. I can't see the frame supports and was hoping someone here knew the answer to this. The Companion works great, not overly expensive but I've got to store this thing somewhere. That's why I'm inquiring about the goose neck adapter.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
billr

I agree with Mike's opinion on an adapter added to the trailer pin box on these heavy fivers. I know a lot of racing and horse folks use the gooseneck, but the trailers are designed from the start with it. Not a bolt on. A lot of folks are adding them to smaller and lighter RVs. Your 32TK3 is not a real light wt. Call Lippert and ask them. They make the frames and can advise best.

Try asking your question here: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=32

These guys are on the cutting edge of design and have loads of experience on all things towed.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

Gooseneck adapters

My experience is: don't do it with a Suites, too much pin weight. I tried it soon after I got my '05 36TK3--installed a unit with ratings above what was minimum, and bolted it extremely tight to the Lippert extended pin box. While pulling out of the yard first use, tires got into deep rut in wet ground. Trying to pull ahead, the pin weld broke out of the pin box. Nothing else damaged. The pin box was ruined, but the adapter and plate/bolts held fine. Perhaps this would work on a 32 without the extended pin, but I advise against it. I now use the B&W + Companion hitch and am very happy with it.
And working to get out from under the trailer with the broken box was a chore I do not want to repeat.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:55 AM   #7
GlennWest

I got the B&W companion. Works great.