Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
Okieboy

Propane tank switch-auto or manual?

The lever indicates which propane tank is in use. When the tank in use becomes empty, does the lever switch automatically or do you have to manually switch to the full tank? Is there a way to draw from both tanks at the same time?

Old 03-24-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
westx

On the one I have you have to manually switch to the full tank. You can draw from both tanks by puttin lever in the middle.

Fulltimers since Sept. 06
westx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
ewacowboy

I use it manually. After the outside tank becomes empty I switch over to the inboard tank then pull the outside tank to fill.
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
Cummins12V98

I always leave my inboard tank closed. When I run out the outer I turn to the inner and open it. This way I don't ever run completely out. I take the outer tank when convenient to fill. Every so often I will move the back tank to the front.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:16 AM   #5
Joezilla

I have Cheap Heat and have not used a drop of propane in a year, but before CH, I kept the inboard tank closed and ran off the outer one.

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

The lever won't move, but the tank switch happens automatically. You have to look at the clear glass indicator to know that the switchover has happened. It will be red when the tank the lever is pointing to is empty, meaning you are pulling out of the other tank at that time.
There are several methods people use to run on their two tanks: 1) keep both tanks open and let the auto switch work as designed, but you have to keep track of when it changes over or you will wake up some morning to both being empty; 2) keep one of the tanks closed and run off the other one--when it runs out, flip the lever and run off the other tank while taking the first one to refill--this works, but you still may run out at an inconvenient time tho you will still have one full tank.
I am not sure if the regulator operates off both at same time when the lever is straight up--but that would surely lead to both tanks being empty at same time, probably at 2AM on a cold night...
Most people use the front tank most of the time so as not to have to manhandle the back tank out too often. If you are planning on being in one spot for a long period of time, then you could plumb a 3rd tank into the system and run off it--this would also require a hole in the door for the line, or leaving the door partially open all the time. I ran this setup when working on construction jobs in hot weather in order to have propane for the generator and not have to almost daily pull one of the tanks out to refill.
Long answer for a short question...

You have a new fiver? How are you planning to use it, as propane use will be minimal if hooked up to electricity. As Joezilla mentioned--the Cheap Heat option will allow the furnace to be used on electricity for heating the unit, saving propane use. If camping in cool/cold weather, space heaters work pretty well for keeping everything warm inside--and set the furnace real low to come on for basement heating if needed.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote