Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Brand Forums > DRV | Formerly Doubletree
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
billr

Residential fridge swap

I know some folks have done this but I think most were working with the double size fridge installs. Since we have the smaller single fridge I thought this may be of help for some folks. Some have asked on our for sale post for the Dometic fridge.

We have a 2005 38RL3 MS and the new fridge clears the island and opens when slide is in. This can be an issue on other models or ones like ES with larger counters on islands. Double check this.

We installed a Whirlpool 10.7 cu ft from Home Depot. Part number WRT111SFAB Cost was $494 and I ordered it online and had delivered right to the RV park we were in free. Here is the link to Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool...csku=203554365
The whole job to remove and install took about 2 hours, not counting electrical mods and trim. The only changes to the trailer was to cut 3/4" off the top opening trim piece and 1/4" off the RH side opening trim. Fridge slide right in. The front of the fridge (not doors) is flush with opening. That leaves about 1-2" at back for air space for the coils. The doors are outside the opening and that way the doors hinge correctly and no issues. So the doors do stick out. But it looks normal for this type of fridge as it would be done like this in a residential install. Just not flush like the original we are used to. We already don't notice it.

I did have to use some wood to support the bottom because the front feet are not in line across. One would be out in limbo. So I removed the feet and supported the entire bottom with wood. No issue. I secured the rear to the base and added brackets to the rear top corners to above. Added shims to square and secure. No movement. Its solid.

Picked up some oak trim pieces at HD and stained and installed on RH side and bottom. If I could have found Maple it would be better but I am satisfied with this.

To stop items inside from moving around during travel, we add some spring loaded bars from CW across shelves. Also made up some nylon straps with snaps to keep doors from opening just in case. They remove while set up.

I picked up a Zantrex 1000watt true sine wave inverter at CW on closeout sale for $184. Reg $400!! Added a $50 auto transfer switch also Zantrex and remote switch for inverter. So now when we are off shore power and I switch on the inverter, the transfer switch changes over the fridge to inverter. When shore power is available again, it goes back to shore. We traveled 4 hrs the other day and the battery levels remained same as when we left. 12.7V We could leave the fridge off as well as it holds the temps very well. I did run a new circuit to the fridge in the slide from the transfer switch in the basement (we bit tricky job....) and from panel to switch. This way it is the only thing powered by this inverter. I have a second 1000watt inverter for the entertainment area for boondock. For eve TV time. A third 400watt one in the bedroom for late night and AM TV. So genny time is lower and we are quiet! We manage fine boondocking with this setup on 2 6V batts, now with the fridge we will add 2 more 6V batts for boon docking. If someone never boondocks, then 2 batts would be fine.

I like to use a few smaller inverters instead of a large one as the idle draw is next to nothing so way less draw on the batts. And we can have on just the one we need also reducing the draw.

Here is a link to the pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1125165...ridgeInstall02
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote