Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2019, 06:33 AM   #1
acmay46

Black valve stuck open

2008 Elite Suite 36 TKSB3. Read forum posts about valve replacement but not how to gain access. I cannot figure out how to get to the valve. Underneath? Remove water heater? Basement? Any advice appreciated.

acmay46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Cummins12V98

Drivers side baggage compartment, inside slide door on your right slide towards the passenger side like you are changing the filter. It's right behind the filter.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

Adding to Cummins' reply...does your Suites have the water manifold with all the water line shutoffs? If so, adds a little difficulty in reaching the valve. Shut water off, remove the filter and housing/lines. Should be able to use flashlight and look directly behind the filter to see a 3" black line coming out of the upper tank. Once you locate it--remove handle from valve and nut holding cable to wall of bay. Assume your tank is empty and clean? Will help some to have the trailer raised on opposite side to help drain everything out...OK, cable loose? remove the 4 bolts holding the valve in the line--this will release the valve to pull it out. Pull the entire valve assembly out and see if it is fixable, if not, get a replacement valve/cable. Should be 2 choices in cable length, you prob have the longer one, but shorter one should work also. Supposedly, either a Valterra or a Bristol valve is a direct replacement, from Amazon or local RV shop. Good luck, not a fun job, but doable. Did mine just about 6 months ago...
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
You may have to gain additional access through the bottom where there is a plastic tray that has the holes in it that allows the waste water pipes to leave the bottom of the trailer. it is held in place with screws and a sticky glue like substance. I pulled mine down to fix a sticky valve and then re attached the plastic tray. Was easier for me to work on it from the bottom than the top.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
acmay46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Adding to Cummins' reply...does your Suites have the water manifold with all the water line shutoffs? If so, adds a little difficulty in reaching the valve. Shut water off, remove the filter and housing/lines. Should be able to use flashlight and look directly behind the filter to see a 3" black line coming out of the upper tank. Once you locate it--remove handle from valve and nut holding cable to wall of bay. Assume your tank is empty and clean? Will help some to have the trailer raised on opposite side to help drain everything out...OK, cable loose? remove the 4 bolts holding the valve in the line--this will release the valve to pull it out. Pull the entire valve assembly out and see if it is fixable, if not, get a replacement valve/cable. Should be 2 choices in cable length, you prob have the longer one, but shorter one should work also. Supposedly, either a Valterra or a Bristol valve is a direct replacement, from Amazon or local RV shop. Good luck, not a fun job, but doable. Did mine just about 6 months ago...
I do have the water manifold and probably why i can’t find it. The valve is stuck partially open. Have been flushing it out to remove debris. In an rv park in texas with camping world next door. I hate doing business with them but i will this time. Thank you for the input. Not looking forward to the job, but has to be done.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
acmay46

Thanks. That helps.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
wingnut60
Site Team

FWIW,
I replaced the valve on my '15, took about 2 hours. Will be easier if you are tall with long arms...
My valve now works with finger push/pull. If you have CW do the work, BE SURE it is easy to pull/push back in BEFORE you leave the lot. You should fill the tank to be sure it is NOT leaking after the fix, drain it, fill again, drain. Make them put water in the tank and leave cap off the line--no drips and maybe they did it right.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripit View Post
You may have to gain additional access through the bottom where there is a plastic tray that has the holes in it that allows the waste water pipes to leave the bottom of the trailer. it is held in place with screws and a sticky glue like substance. I pulled mine down to fix a sticky valve and then re attached the plastic tray. Was easier for me to work on it from the bottom than the top.

Do you have/had a Mobile Suites DRV???

Old 10-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Do you have/had a Mobile Suites DRV???
No longer, sold it and now have a motorhome. But owned my MS and lived in ours for 8 years when we full time travleled. Over those 8 years you get to fix many items that will either break or wear out causing issues. I almost never paid anyone to fix my unit, I figured out what was wrong and how to fix it. So when i see or hear of something on this forum that I went through I try to lend a hand and give information on how I took care of the issue.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
lseiger

acmay46

Hi,

All good comments to your problem. Our black tank valve stuck in the open position this past Spring. I got to the valve by removing the hot water tank. I found it much easier to access the valve with the hot water tank removed.

What was interesting was why the valve was stuck. Our MS is a 2007 so it had 12 years of life before the valve stuck. When I separated the valve body, I found a large piece of circular plastic jammed in the valve. Not sure, but I think it may have been a piece of the black tank where the hole was drilled to accept the inlet pipe.

Anyway, good luck.

Larry Seiger
Yuma SKP Park
lseiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #11
cos80922

I had to replace the same valve on 2016 model. I purchased the valve and an extension for the handle and installed it without the cable. Easy enough to empty, slide open the door by the manifold, open and then close when complete. No more cable problems. Had nothing but problems with that setup since day one.
good luck
cos80922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #12
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos80922 View Post
I had to replace the same valve on 2016 model. I purchased the valve and an extension for the handle and installed it without the cable. Easy enough to empty, slide open the door by the manifold, open and then close when complete. No more cable problems. Had nothing but problems with that setup since day one.
good luck
Did the same then left it open and now have both valves under the RV. Nice and easy!!!

Old 11-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #13
acmay46

used your method and now back in business. Install was tough due to limited space and getting a tight seal. got it on my 4th try. a happy camper again.