Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
CherriandBob

Another heat pump question

We didn't really think much about how the heatpump/furnace operated until I read some of the posts here. Without sounding redundent could I get a quick explanation on how the heatpump/furnace operate. Is the furnace suppose to automatically come on if you have the heat pump on? It seems like someone said they switch when the temp drops below 40 or something like that. We have our unit in Elkhart as we speak having some work done. We asked the shop to check this for us and their response was for us to check it when we got there to pick it up and let them know how it works. Am I wrong to think that a factory authorized repair shop should be able to do some troubleshooting? Thought we would get some of these issues taken care of while still under warranty, but don't really care no if they aren't even going to try to look at a problem. Might as well wait and take care of it ourselves. Thanks for any input.

SOITC Charter Member #2730
Central Division
2006 38RL3
2004 Freightliner M2
robertsqualityrv.com
Enjoy life...Keep it simple
CherriandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
cherriebob
When you set the heat pump at say 66 degrees and the outside temps drop to 33 degrees the furnace will come on until the outside temp rises above what ever that magic degree reading that the change over is set at.
Then the heat pump will kick back in and turn the furnace off.

This is a normal operation for a heat pump installation. The only variable that I know of is where the change over degree point is set at.

Ponch

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
rdunk

Ponch is pretty much right on this, but..........................

This subject is discussed pretty regularly, so, knowing this is one of the items that at least is covered in the technical data furnished to us by Doubletree, with our MS, I decided to find it, and to let everyone else know where to find it.

This subject is covered in the Duo-Therm "Operating Instructions" for the "Comfort Control Center", which is the control box where we select heat or A/C, zones, and temp settings. My instructions consist of 8 numbered pages, and this subject is addressed on page 7, Item F. AUX. HEAT.

Now, for those who may not have this Dometic publication, here is a direct quote for what Item "F. AUX HEAT says................
.................................................. ................................................
Quote. "When in the HEAT PUMP mode, if the outside ambient temperature is measured to be below 30 degrees F. and the vehicle is equipped with a furnace connected to the Comfort Control Center, the control will automatically select FURNACE operation and the HEAT PUMP will shut down.
IMPORTANT: If vehicle is not equipped with a furnace, no heat will be available below 30 degrees F. If vehicle is equipped with a furnace and it is connected to its own thermostat, it must be manually turned ON and OFF for operation.
When this happens (referring back to auto furnace turn on), the AUX HEAT and the HEAT PUMP indicators on the LCD will illuminate. Once the outside ambient temperature is measured above 38 degrees F, the control will return to the HEAT PUMP operation, and shut down the furnace if it is connected to the Comfort Control Center. If the furnace is not connected to the Comfort Control Center, the furnace thermostat must be manually turned off."

(Yes, it says 30 degrees furnace on, and 38 degrees furnace off)

That is it!!!
.................................................. ...............................................
Another item that also comes up regularly is "how to reset the Control Center". The instructions for doing that can be found in the Dometic/Duo-Therm Heat Pump Installation Instructions "Manual". In my instructions that is on page 10, item 2. "System Reset".

Quote:

a. Turn the ON/OFF switch to the "Off" position
b. Simultaneously depress and hold the MODE and ZONE push-buttons while turning the ON/OFF switch to "ON". FF should appear in the LCD display until the mode and zone buttons are released"
.................................................. ..................................................

Hopefully, this info will be of some assistance for those who have the heat pumps, and the Comfort Control Center.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
anijet

Does the auto-switch-over ocurr when the heat pump and furnace are on different zones? Our hetr pump is on zone 1 and the furnace is on zone 2.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
CherriandBob

Thanks for the info. We are anxious to catchup with our unit and do our own trouble shooting since the tech isn't willing.
So, it when we get to our Suite and the temp is lower than 30 and we set the heat pump to come on, the furnace should come on right? I think it will be cold enough in Elkhart Friday when we get there. Thanks again.
SOITC Charter Member #2730
Central Division
2006 38RL3
2004 Freightliner M2
robertsqualityrv.com
Enjoy life...Keep it simple
CherriandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
rdunk

Makes no difference, as long as the "Control Center" is controlling both furnace and heat pump.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Jim1941

We have to have ours looked at also as when it get's to about 35 it will just start blowing cold air and not switch to furnace.Also the valve dosn't work most times and I have to turn it toAC then back to heat pump to get it to work.