Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
jwbups

hydraulic leak

I just noticed a puddle of fluid on the top of the pad on the front leg, entrance side, of my 2006 36tk Elite. I checked my MS manual and hydraulics are warrented for 3 years, so still covered by the factory. I have trailer insured with GMAC and have comprenhensive coverage on hold until we head to south just after Christmas. I checked the lines running to the top of the leg and found no fluid, so figure that must be a seal leaking inside the leg. I called my dealer and asked about timing for repair and they said they had to check out the unit. Anyone had this happen to their unit as I will have insurance reinstated some time in mid December, but want the dealership enough time to repair prior to Christmas so I can be headed south before the new year. Thanks for any help. Jim

2006 Elite Suite #3207 ,
jwbups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Motor31

The hydraulics are covered under the Lippert warranty, I think you'll find it's 5 years. You can try checking on their web site for a service center near you and call them direct. I had a leg ram replaced last summer and the tech came to me from some distance away. You might not want to delay too much on this or come back to your rig and find the nose on the ground. A leak will also prevent the rams from staying retracted as well so they can come down while you are moving. Mine did that and I had to rig a way to hold them up.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Try tighten them up. Mine were loose and that took care of it.
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
jack_diane_freedom

I had the same problem twice with the street side ram. In order to get it to the dealer I had to drill it and put a pin in it so that it would not drop in transit. If it is the ram it will not hold up the leg in transit. Both instances were completely covered by Lippert warrantee.
jack_diane_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
billr

Take a good look for the source of the leak. We had a major gush on our street side a few months ago, and was sure it was from the cyl, there was no fluid coming from fittings etc, as was the dealer when I dropped it off, after the cyl was replaced, it turned out being a line that led to the rear stabs, located just inside the side wall beside the front leg, no access to this area, had to cut an opening from inside the comp and underside. There was a hose that had been Drilled on build that finally let go!

Use caution drilling the legs if they don't stay up, I had the rams fail a year ago and had to do this, but we have the pin type legs, and it works great. On the newer pinless type, I don't think that can be done.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
jack_diane_freedom

Agree with billr on the drilling caution. Our MS is also an 05 with the pin type legs.
jack_diane_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
Jim1941

On mine the seal in the back jack is leaking and the dealer also said they had to look at it before they could order a part.I think i will just let it leak.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Motor31

Just letting it leak can lead to some expensive problems. If there is a leak it will affect both the hold on the ground and holding the jack in the retracted position. If those jacks drop while you are moving you could end up dragging or breaking them off of the trailer. Swapping out the ram is pretty simple and easy. Another thing, Lippert does not repair or rebuild a leaking ram, they just replace them. I found that out talking to the Lippert tech when we replaced my front ram last Summer. Seems a waste but he said the quality wasn't up to more robust rams used in construction or aircraft equipment.

Check to see if the ram or the hose is leaking. When I had a hose leak last winter I found out the hoses installed by DT factory (not lippert) have a working pressure of 2200 PSI, not the 2800 the pumps put out after the latest pump modification. Fittings can come loose and it may just need to be tightened. Check it with a 9/16 wrench then clean off the area and look for leaks.

Hoses are not covered under the warranty so you'll be on your own to replace them. A hydraulic shop can make a new one if you bring in the old one. Hoses are not expensive, it cost me less than $15.00 to replace the front cross trailer hose. One leading to the rear will be more expensive and you'll have to go under the bottom covering to get to it.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 10-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
Motor31

Just an additional bit of info regarding the hydraulic leak and jack issue. Last April I had to replace the hose to the door side front jack. It was leaking and the trailer would not remain level. I had also experienced the legs dropping down in travel because of the hose and later, a leak in the ram. I did post a picture of the simple and inexpensive method I used to make sure the legs did not drop while we were traveling. The pix are in this thread on the board.

http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums...pic.php?t=2316

It's simple but works to keep the legs from dropping to the ground while you are traveling. If you have a hydraulic leak or the trailer slowly changes level while parked and you have to keep re leveling it I strongly suggest you get it taken care of. Replacing the ram is not terribly difficult, even the front ones. This is a significant safety issue not just a minor irritation. Hydraulics do not "heal" themselves the problem just gets worse.

Hitting a speed bump or other obstruction with the legs because they dropped or just grinding the pads down will be a "bad thing". If you have to move the rig before the hydraulics are repaired do something to hold them up as contact in transit won't be something you want to deal with.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"