Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
rverdlm

One or two heat-pumps?

This has been discussed before, but after our experience of the past 3 weeks I thought I'd weigh in. We left TX on our way to Dubois, WY for the summer. From Raton Pass to now (about 3 weeks) all our nights have been at over 7000' and the temps have been from 28 to 36 degrees. On the one night that it got down to 28 the furnace kicked in, otherwise all our heat has been from our 1 heat-pump. I set the thermostat at 60 and still need to keep most of the bedroom vents closed to keep it from getting too hot in the bedroom. It then takes about an hour to get the living room temp up to 68 in the morning. From this experience I think my decision to only get one heat-pump and a smaller a/c in the bedroom was a good one. The reason for the smaller a/c in the bedroom is that it will run on even a 20A service for those time when we camp in some of the old northern CGs.

2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
maltruck8

We also have only the one heat pump. It has been cold enough to cause the heater to come on a few times. The one heat pump has been more than enough. I see no need for two. Jim

2001 Volvo (Suite-T) pulling 2007 MS 38RL3 #3347
https://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
RGordon

When I ordered my 07 38RL3 I did not have the option to order two heat pumps, only one with second a/c unit. They must be low profile type also due to height. You can probably have one installed by someone else, like camping world, etc. I do know that one 15,000 btu heat pump delivers lots of heat and probably heats better than it cools.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
rdunk

Quote: "When I ordered my 07 38RL3 I did not have the option to order two heat pumps, only one with second a/c unit".
.................................................. ........................
Doubletree probably hasn't changed in this regard. By option, you can upgrade from the std 13.5k a/c to a 15k a/c, with heat pump. You can also option for a 2nd 15k a/c with heat pump.

That is what we did. We have 2 15k's, with heat pumps, and we are still glad to have both. While we don't plan to be in really cold weather, sometimes, you never know what might happen. The heat pumps work great, but the lower the temps, the less efficient they become.

With the furnace, you heat one "zone", the entire living area of the Suite.
With two a/c's with heat pumps, you have two conditioned air zones. Zone 1 is the living room/kitchen area, and zone 2 is the bedroom/bath area. Of course, the a/c outlet ducts are common for both areas, but most of the output goes to the selected zone.

This set-up works great! You can set the a/c's or the heat pumps to run individually, or together, at the same temps, or at different temps for whatever is preferred in the two zones. This is really nice for individual temperature preferences. For instance, D/W doesn't like heat in the B/R while sleeping. So, if outside temps are going to be on the colder side, we can set the living area heat pump to provide what general heat is desired, with just enough heat coming to the B/R through the common ducting, to keep me happy.

For us, most of the time, whether on heat or cool, we have each zone set at a different temperature. This capability has worked so good for us during the past two years of fulltiming, that if we ordered again, we would get the same a/c heat pump configurations - 2 of each.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:44 AM   #5
Motor31

We have found that a small ceramic space heater on the counter provides plenty of heat for the bedroom and saves propane when it really gets cold. We turn the thermostat down to about 60 for the heat pump / furnace and run the space heater on low. It takes less power than cycling the one heat pump does as little heat comes from the zone one location of the heat pump into the bedroom, particularly when it gets down to 40 or below until the furnace kicks in.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote