Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
JimGnitecki

Have been shopping DRV, but now intrigued by Domani. Good or bad?

My wife and I have been shopping for a 5th wheel, and had been looking mostly at used Redwoods and DRVs, and one new DRV (Tradition model, as covered in a separate thread here). But a used 2009 Domani has grabbed our attention.

The Domani is kind of incredible. It is only 31 feet long. Weighs only 9500 lb. It has swoopy Italian styling that looks like an Italian sports car on the outside and a yacht on the inside. It seems to have a particularly high quality gel coat (still shines gorgeously after 6 1/2 years, despite this specific one not even having the optional full body paint).

It has aluminum/mineral wool/gelcoat hung wall construction identical to DRV Tradition, but bit thinner (R, and welded versus bolted. Roof is aluminum truss like the DRV, with 1/2" walk-on plywood, but again slightly thinner insulation (R16). Floor is also R16, with engineered steel space frame. In the ihe interior, EVERYTHING is curved and swoopy.

The one we are looking at has the costly and very eye catching American Mag wheels option and the original Goodyear 285/50R20 116H tires, but the tires will of course need to be replaced. It turns out that Hankook, Cooper, Nitto and even Pirelli make tires with the right size and the right 116 load rating, and the dealer says if we buy the tires and bring them in, the service staff will install and balance them for $120 total.

The 2 axles are Dexter #11 Torflex, rated at 5200 lbs each. I love the Torflex feature.

Since the rig weighs 9500 unloaded, there are only about 9500*0.75 = 7125 lb total on the 2 axles unloaded, and at full GVWR = 11,500, there are 8625 lb on the 2 axles, or 4313 each axle. (The 2000 NCC is fine for us - we have 1500 lb to load into it).

The above weights make this fiver towable by a GAS 6.2 liter Ford 250, or even, incredibly enough, a Ford Ecoboost (pin weight would be only 2875 lb at maximum fully loaded to GVWR) (edit: Checked the 2009 Domani brochure: empty pin weight is only 1800 lb, so maybe 2300 lb at GVWR weight). Avoiding the complexities, costs, and lately- warranty cab-off repairs - of a diesel is an unexpected potential bonus.

There is 1 Coleman Mach AC unit but the dealer will provide and install a second Coleman Mach for a very reasonable price ($954 installed), as the Domani comes with a second standard 14" mount point (currently covered with a standard fan cover), that is reinforced and pre-wired.

The shower and cabinetry are particularly nice in terms of quality and condition. The wood cabinetry finish is VERY impressive given the age.

The coach is in excellent condition overall for a 2009 - one of the best we have seen, and the dealer is willing to guarantee that all systems work and no leaks, and willing to do the PDI and then set it up for 2 or 3 days with all systems working on his site, including water connection, so that we can spend time in it BEFORE delivery to ensure no problems are apparent before it gets delivered.

The price is the lowest by far of any of the rigs that we have examined that actually interest us. The dealer wants $27,000 plus the $954 for the 2nd AC, $120 for the tire installation and balancing, and we would also pay the dealership to replace a seciton of Darco underneath that has holes in it because some idiot amateur cut it up with a utility knife to make some RV repairs sometime in the past (we understand the importance of the Darco for insulation, keeping out road dirt, and keeping out insects/snakes/rodents, etc.

I really thought that although I love the concept, my wife would never tolerate the smaller size and reduced interior storage (although the basement is notably larger than the DRV Tradition and the Redwood!). But, she surprised me and really likes it. She says its condition impressed her, and she noted the apparent "spaciousness" which is the result of clever interior design. It's basically visually an Italian Airstream but with much more real and apparent space because it has square and much higher walls, and a basement, and none of the "early death by hidden floor rotting" problems inherent to the multi-piece riveted shells of the Airstreams.

The Domani is pretty rare for 2 reasons:

1. It went into production just as the economy collapsed, limiting its sales severely

2. The "European styling" was a big jolt for many people in the target market (retirees ).

But the ones that were sold seem to be aging very graciously, which probably reflects the underlying Carriage quality.

I have done extensive Googling, and can't really find all that much information about actually living with the Domani, but did note that most of the actual owners really like their Domani, but warn others that it does not have the real space and storage of a larger 5iver of course.

Have any of you heard good or bad things about the Domani? Are there any problems known to be associated with them?

I realize that it is not a DRV, but then the cost LOOKS like a relative bargain given the apparent durability.

Jim G

JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
missourijan

Uh, you realize that you are asking (majority on this thread) Drv owners what they think of the Domani? Not trying to be a smarta** but we own Drv's for good reason. When you said it's the lowest cost of the rv's you've looked at you kinda lost me. Price should not be the only comparison. I don't know who makes the Domani but I would post this on the Domani owner's forum. You are always going to get your best info from actual owners. Compare the insulation r factors, the frame build and what owners say.
Oh, I see now you've been posting about the Tradition, so you obviously know it's a Drv forum, my advice still stands, Domani owners are your best resource.

2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Cummins12V98

As a DRV owner I would not own a Tradition. They are designed to compete with the "I" beam frame RV's.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
hitchup

Domani was built by Carriage. Some people love their Carriages, but after touring both the Carriage factory on a Monday and DRV on a Tuesday, we were less impressed with Carriage products. This was after July 4, 2008 when they were just putting 2009s into production. We were looking at other options to replace our 2006 Elite Suite.

I don't think they had any in production at the factory, but we did do a walk-through at one of the many RV Shows.

I do remember this original TrailerLife article. For us - as working fulltimers it wasn't right. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be right for you. We ordered a 38' 2009 Mobile Suite a month later.

http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/t...-domani-df302/
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
Uh, you realize that you are asking (majority on this thread) Drv owners what they think of the Domani? Not trying to be a smarta** but we own Drv's for good reason. When you said it's the lowest cost of the rv's you've looked at you kinda lost me. Price should not be the only comparison. I don't know who makes the Domani but I would post this on the Domani owner's forum. You are always going to get your best info from actual owners. Compare the insulation r factors, the frame build and what owners say.
Oh, I see now you've been posting about the Tradition, so you obviously know it's a Drv forum, my advice still stands, Domani owners are your best resource.
Yes, I am trying to FIND a Carriage Domani forum with info. I think I found one now, but will need to go through the registration process there to even view the threads at all. I submitted my registration yesterday and no confirmation yet.

The attractions of the Domani include that it uses basically the same construction as the DRV, but just a bit thinner on wall thickness and thus R factor.

Jim G
Old 10-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchup View Post
Domani was built by Carriage. Some people love their Carriages, but after touring both the Carriage factory on a Monday and DRV on a Tuesday, we were less impressed with Carriage products. This was after July 4, 2008 when they were just putting 2009s into production. We were looking at other options to replace our 2006 Elite Suite.

I don't think they had any in production at the factory, but we did do a walk-through at one of the many RV Shows.

I do remember this original TrailerLife article. For us - as working fulltimers it wasn't right. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be right for you. We ordered a 38' 2009 Mobile Suite a month later.

http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/t...-domani-df302/
Yes, I did find that Trailer Life article, and also several non-Domani "generic" RV forum threads where the Domani series was discussed. The general consensus I got out of those threads was that the people that own them love them, but that at the same time they do warn other prospective buyers that it may not be enough coach for many fulltimers, as it is only 31 feet long and all the storage cabinetry, while numerous, is on the shallow side, except the basement which is larger than on many 37 to 40 foot 5th wheels, and also accessible from 3 sides unobstructed.

The biggest attraction is also the biggest turnoff to some folks - the European styling, the apparent "airyness" and the "futuristic" overall vibe. But, my wife seems to really like it, and it satisfies the engineer in me with its basic "bones".

And I do have to admit I love the optional "Roman Chariot" wheels and their wide tires. Very racy.

Jim G
Old 10-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
Joezilla

We looked at a Domani in 2008 or so. I could not get over the smallish TV located over the fridge. Of course, the $80,000 price tag at the time was a turnoff also.

However, this is a DRV forum, so lets get back to discussing any and all DRV models.

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

Jim,
Besides the size, and the 'wheels', the Domani was not comparable to the Tradition you were considering. Beautiful wheels and questionable tires seem to dominate your requirements...
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #9
billr

Indeed. Rotflmao
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:05 PM   #10
JimGnitecki

I DID mention the similar construction to the DRV, the light weight that makes towing far easier, the huge basement, the non-I-beam steel space frame, the top quality shower, the wood cabinetry, the independent torsion suspension, but did forget to mention the double slide seals, the convection oven, the electric rear stabilizing struts, the flush slide, and the frameless HEHR windows which were pretty high tech in 2009.

But then I foolishly mentioned the frivolous wheels and obviously let them seduce me with their unnecessary better braking, better towing, and less sway due to the low sidewalls and wide footprint . . .

Jim G
Old 10-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #11
billr

Just a bit iof tongue in cheek stuff here. It's just you ask a lot ok questions and seem to dismiss most responses.

Trying to compare units that are not even close

I think you have great research skills and can reason yourself in or out of any unit you are interested in without any outside influence

Best of luck in your search.
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Just a bit iof tongue in cheek stuff here. It's just you ask a lot ok questions and seem to dismiss most responses.

Trying to compare units that are not even close

I think you have great research skills and can reason yourself in or out of any unit you are interested in without any outside influence

Best of luck in your search.
What are the negatives you see in the Carriage Domani? (Beyond the obvious it's smaller and has less storage room)

Jim G
Old 10-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #13
terry and jo

First of all, I think I can see that Jim has a good sense of humor, as he's taking some ribbing here. Good deal.

As for the basement storage and access, just about any of the Mobile and Elite Suites models can also have lots of space, especially if the trailer being looked at is not set up with generator prep or have a generator. Without those options, the Suites also have access to the basement via three doors on each side and under the overhang.

Carriage products were supposed to have had a good reputation when they were in business, but when we did our research, they could not compare in quality with the Suites models. Prior to our ordering our 2010, we made a trip to Dallas to see a model or two that had our interest. We also went on over to Granbury to an RV dealer that had DRV's on that same trip. I couldn't see that the Carriage products were even close to the quality of wood and other features with the DRV's.

Uppermost in my mind was the belief that if the trailer's frame didn't impress me, I wasn't interested. After all, the frame, axles, suspension, tires and wheels are the very foundation of the RV. Styling took a back seat to strength and construction with me. The Mobile and Elite's triple-box frame just seemed to be far superior to the other brands, other than perhaps the New Horizons and Continental Coach brands.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #14
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry and jo View Post
First of all, I think I can see that Jim has a good sense of humor, as he's taking some ribbing here. Good deal.

As for the basement storage and access, just about any of the Mobile and Elite Suites models can also have lots of space, especially if the trailer being looked at is not set up with generator prep or have a generator. Without those options, the Suites also have access to the basement via three doors on each side and under the overhang.

Carriage products were supposed to have had a good reputation when they were in business, but when we did our research, they could not compare in quality with the Suites models. Prior to our ordering our 2010, we made a trip to Dallas to see a model or two that had our interest. We also went on over to Granbury to an RV dealer that had DRV's on that same trip. I couldn't see that the Carriage products were even close to the quality of wood and other features with the DRV's.

Uppermost in my mind was the belief that if the trailer's frame didn't impress me, I wasn't interested. After all, the frame, axles, suspension, tires and wheels are the very foundation of the RV. Styling took a back seat to strength and construction with me. The Mobile and Elite's triple-box frame just seemed to be far superior to the other brands, other than perhaps the New Horizons and Continental Coach brands.

Terry
Thanks, Terry. THIS is the kind of feedback I need, not broad statements that basically sound like "I like the brand I bought so much better than any other that I just say it's better".

The triple frame comment is reasonably valid at first sight, BUT it too has a flaw. Let me explain.

In the past, all trucks and even cars were built on a 2-rail chassis system. This was indeed strong if the rails were large enough, or were fully enclosed cross-section ("tubular"), but the system was also very HEAVY.

Today, while trucks retain this basic frame structure, virtually all cars, including the new "crossovers", use a "box" type of construction, where the entire body (bottom, sides, and roof) are all part of one welded "hollow beam". This type of construction, besides costing less to build, is immensely strong and rigid when done properly. And, because it is lighter, itrequires less power to move down the highway and up hills.

Airplanes are built on the same principle, but even more so than cars, because airplanes MUST be very lightweight, since fuel consumption is the biggest operating cost and heavy planes take proportionately more power to stay aloft than a car needs to move down a highway.

Trucks are forced to retain the 2-heavy-rail structure because the need to either carry a load right above the chassis, or pull a load whose hitch must fasten above the rear axle, precludes using a box type approach. The typical pickup truck actually used as a hauler (not as a passenger vehicle only) must accept a 3000 lb or higher concentrated load in its 5.5'wide by 6.5' long cargo area, and the robust structure must extend foward of that as well in order to carry both the engine weight at the front, and to not bend or fold in the middle under the passenger cab when that heavy cargo area load is applied.This 3000 lb loading within 36 sq ft is about DOUBLE the loading (pounds per square foot) that a 38 foot DRV places on its chassis. Notice that a pickup truck does NOT use a triple stacked frame that is 12" high in total to handle the load. With good design, it does not NEED that much steel and its associated weight.

The Domani was evidently designed more like an Airstream RV, or like an airplane, than like a DRV. That's why its aluminum wall studs are WELDED versus bolted like in the DRV. And that's why it weighs 9500 lb versus the 13,500 x 31 feet /37 feet = 11,300 lb it would weigh with the DRV frame construction (since the refrigerator, AC units, furnace, bed, sofa, chairs, toilet, shower, etc all weigh about the same in either of the 2 RVs).

When I built my self-designed 2200 sq ft 2-story colonial Saltbox home in Minnesota 20 years ago, I used this "box" construction, by ensuring that all wall and roof sheathing was 1/2" structural plywood, not chipboard or buffalo board, and I overlapped the plywood across the 2 stories. My stud spacing was 24" versus 16" in order to cut the insulation R value drops created by studs. The professional building crew building a house literally across the street from me built their house more conventionally, with buffalo board sheathing, no proper overlap of sheathing between stories, and long-span roof trusses that were flexible enough to bend like noodles in the wind as they were hoisted into position, and nailed with a pneumatic nailer versus the metal Simpson tie plates I used on both the roof to wall connections and the wall to floor connections. They used more conventional 16" stud spacing, and 16" nailed floor OC spacing versus my 24" glued and screwed floors, which to the casual uninformed observer appeared "stronger" than my 24" spacing.

Then the tornado came.

THEIR house, which was blessed with a completely sheathed roof (because they were faster builders than I was), was severely damaged by the tornado. The wall sheathing was ripped off, as were sections of the roof. Pieces of their house were all over the neighborhood.

My house had only HALF its roof sheathing on just before the tornado arrived, as it had gotten dark before we could finish sheathing the roof the previous day, so the half-roof was basically a "sail" in the tornado's wind - the most vulnerable it could ever be. Knowing my roof was so vulnerable because of not being complete, I feared the worst, especially after I saw from a distance the damage to the house across the street.

But when I got to my own house, I was pleasantly surprised. The ONLY "damage" was the loss of the "No Trespassing" sign we had put up for liability reduction purposes. The crew across the street was standing around gaping at their home versus mine.

When the building inspector did our framing inspection shortly thereafter, he made 2 comments:

1. If this house ever catches fire, it will MELT rather than burn, with the number of Simpson plates you have on these walls.

2. This house could take an Atlantic coast hurricane without being damaged.

We passed the inspection with flying colors. The other house across the street had to be rebuilt. Another home next to that one, which had already been completed and occupied, had to be abandoned, razed, and rebuilt, as it had actually been moved off its foundation by the tornado.

That Minnesota house of ours is the type of RV construction we prefer. There are 2 ways to get it. We prefer the lighter weight ways if we can get the other things we want while getting the lighter weight.

Jim G
Old 10-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #15
GlennWest

Wasting your breath. He has already make his mind up.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #16
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennWest View Post
Wasting your breath. He has already make his mind up.
No I haven't, BUT, right now, this is the best USED deal we can see in our local market area. No used DRVs that are anywhere close to our financial abilities - that 2015 Tradition was the best DRV deal in this market area, and we could not get financing that would work for us.

There are a couple of Redwoods within 200 miles, but the least costly one is a 2013 asking $50K.

So, the used Carriage Domani is the OPPOSITE of "he has already made his mind up". It's a flexible response to an impediment in the way of getting the DRV.

I'm still asking for specific reasons that the Domani would be a poor choice, and haven't yet seen any presented to me here.

Jim G
Old 10-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #17
Joezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
No I haven't, BUT, right now, this is the best USED deal we can see in our local market area. No used DRVs that are anywhere close to our financial abilities - that 2015 Tradition was the best DRV deal in this market area, and we could not get financing that would work for us.

There are a couple of Redwoods within 200 miles, but the least costly one is a 2013 asking $50K.

So, the used Carriage Domani is the OPPOSITE of "he has already made his mind up". It's a flexible response to an impediment in the way of getting the DRV.

I'm still asking for specific reasons that the Domani would be a poor choice, and haven't yet seen any presented to me here.

Jim G
Well, you are trying to impress us with how well you think the Domani is built and such. You are really on the wrong website to do that. We all have DRV units and really have no interest in the now defunct Domani brand. No matter how much we tell you to get a DRV product, you keep coming back the the $$$ excuse. I understand that times are hard, but if money is your driving concern, then by all means get the Domani and be happy.

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #18
GlennWest

DRVs are nice but we left DRV for a better unit. We now have a Teton. It is very heavy built and older units can be bought for less dollars. We got our 2003 Grand 2 years ago for 30k. It is in great shape. Put it up against anything on mass market. We are full time so our needs are more than a vacation type unit. We need a better built unit to hold up to full time use. Trying to buy cheaper made units due to cost is not smart. We paid 30k for a great unit. If my money was limited I would look in high end used market.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:02 PM   #19
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennWest View Post
DRVs are nice but we left DRV for a better unit. We now have a Teton. It is very heavy built and older units can be bought for less dollars. We got our 2003 Grand 2 years ago for 30k. It is in great shape. Put it up against anything on mass market. We are full time so our needs are more than a vacation type unit. We need a better built unit to hold up to full time use. Trying to buy cheaper made units due to cost is not smart. We paid 30k for a great unit. If my money was limited I would look in high end used market.
Glennwest: What makes the Teton better than the DRV from your perspective? (I realize every individual's perspective is going to be different based on their experiences).

Jim G
Old 10-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #20
terry and jo

One other issue to bring up for you Jim. While the construction on the Domani might be very good (I'm no engineer), its weight could still be a problem. While is is a lot lighter than the DRV's, perhaps of even a 32-foot model, that weight could be a problem with high cross winds. I'd suggest that if you go that way that you always be sure and pay attention to the direction of the prevailing winds when you plan to be parked for a while, and to avoid traveling when you might have high cross winds.

Years ago, within the trucking industry, someone decided that aluminum cattle trailers would be excellent and allow bull haulers to carry more weight in cattle. They were fine when they were loaded, but if they were dead-heading and encountered high winds, they had to park them and face the front of the trailer into the winds.

Also, not that it's really an issue, the Mobile and Elite Suites have a 15" frame, not a 12" one. Also, while I don't doubt the construction of your house, we lived in tornado alley for most of our lives. We've seen tornadoes do strange things in tearing up one house and not damaging the one near it at all. Those things are totally unpredictable.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote