Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Mogolfers

Hydraulic landing legs

We have had major problems with landing legs coming up then drifting to ground again during our trip to the South. Lippert thought it was a "O" ring leak. The space shuttle had that problem in the cold when it blew up! Anyone else had this problem during cold temps? Crist RV in Mesa did not want to help us (even under warranty) because Lippert hasn't been paying warranty work back to dealer. I guess were are orphans. Beware when traveling, as all dealers do not care, some told us it would be a month to get us in. Everthing is OK now in the warm temps.

2011 38REPS4 Mobile Suite #5831
"Each day is a gift"
Mogolfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
billr

We had a problem where our front jacks sank down while driving, we made it home, got so bad eventually that they wouldn't even retract.

It ended up being the seals on the suction side of the rams. The seals that leaked hold the hyd suction in the ram to hold up the jacks after the pump is off. When they leak, there is no fluid leaking out, just internal leak.

Dealer replaced the rams with the new units used on the 06. (ours was an early 05 came with smaller rams)

Not sure, maybe the Select has the previous model type rams? They did use a few things on the Select that were not same as MS had as far as running gear. Check with Lippert and DT to see if you do have the earlier std rams, and if so I would suggest getting them ordered to replace (under warranty) Even if they are the newer ones, they use the same process. Once these seals start to leak, they may just let go and leave you in my situation.

Good luck and keep a very good eye on them while towing! I drilled a hole and put a bolt in to hold them up till I got them replaced.

Cheers,
Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #3
Mogolfers

hydraulic landing legs

Our problem, on the road, is some dealers are tired of dealing with Lippert problems. Crist Rv in Mesa suggested I find some other dealer to help me as they sometimes do not get money for repairs under warranty from Lippert. Crist service department asked when my 5th wheel was built, as Lippert was only covering repairs one year from build date not delivery date to customers. That's hard to believe! Thanks for the advice. We'll call Dave at Lippert Monday and see what he thinks.
"Each day is a gift"
Old 02-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
billr

That is very unfortunate that the dealer is treating you this way. That is unacceptable. I suggest you contact DT and have them sort it out. They should be aware of what this dealer is doing. You may be better served going to another dealer anyway as with this dealers attitude I would be uncomfortable having them touch my unit. Have DT make the arrangements for you.

Your warranty should be 2yrs from your delivery date, not from build date.

DT will look after you I'm sure. Also, most have had good success with help from Lippert. (they are sometimes slow to get back to you)

If you put a post on here asking for recommended dealers for service for you current location, I'm sure someone will have info.

Cheers,
Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
RodeWorthy

There have been quite a few complaints about the dealer out in Mesa. I have no direct experience but those that have, have been quite vocal about it. I suggest you deal directly with Lippert to find out what their policy is. I have never heard of any mfr starting warranty from the day the unit is built. That doesn't make any sense.

It has come to my attention that an RV magazine has reported that Lippert has just bought Trail-Air. We would all hope that the poor warranty rumours are unfounded. From what I have read on this forum for the last two years, Lippert and Doubletree provide exemplary service and support. Try another dealer.

Rodeworthy
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
The rumor concerning TrailAir being sold to Lippert is correct.

Dale will stay on in retail sales for a year with options for more.

Knowing Dale he will do his utmost to instill in lippert to continue the quality of service the trail Air company had under his realm.

Ponch
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
bstark

I can verify the sale as well. Dale did some service work on our unit last fall and I was frankly amazed at his efforts to please us. He mentioned then that the sale was in the works. I second Ponch's hope that Dale is able to "maintain" Trailair's reputation for product quality and service.

Dale also mentioned that it was his intention to attend the rally in Branson and I would sure like to treat him to a bottle of his favourite beverage?????
Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 AM   #8
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
He will be there in their new suite.

Ponch
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #9
bardave

I too have had trouble with hydraulics from Lippert. Air in the lines and jacks going down when I push the up button.

In the past I spoke to Dale Brubaker at Lippert...he is no longer there.

At end of Jan I spoke to Amanda Trumps...she identified the problem and mailed the repair to SW RV in Katy Tx........... only half the parts to repair was mailed...even thought she told me what it takes to repair....I called for Amanda to find out why only half a shipment shows up.....she is no longer there.....

I then spoke to a Dave Beard.... he tells me he would mail out the wiring harness to complete the fix... it did not show up....I called again and Dave Beard in no longer there....

then I spoke to Vance Simms and he says the part was mailed on 9 Feb and should show up 14 Feb.... yesterday, I learn from Vance that the part was never shipped from Lippert
Vance supposedly overnighted it to SWRV 14 FEb.... we will see....

Seems that Lippert is having a serious personnel problem and that apparently is not the only problem they have. I understand a restructuring is going on... maybe that is why they dont pay thieir bills

The real problem here....is that Double tree and Lippert know this problem exist and know what the fix is....and yet they continue to sell trailers without fixing the problem...

It is now 32 days since my problem was identified and hopefully the part showed up at the RV shop today.

David & Barbara Maxwell
US Army retired (20+ years)
USAF retired (20+ years)
After 40+ years - time to go play
bardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
BobW

Jujst as we started to head south, I went to retract the frt legs and as soon as I released the button, the legs fell down. I keaped hitting the button until the legs stayed up. We've had nothing but problems with this bulls--- companys products. It seems every product that goes into an RV is just plane crap. Build it, get it out to the buyer and forget it. Let the buyer put up with it. We are all a bunch of suckers.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
john

DT

Bob,
It appears as if you got a very bad unit. I feel for you.
Please don't refer to all of us as "suckers" I have had a few problems with my unit and they where fixed as soon as I pointed them out to the dealer.
The unit is now a year old and along with some other buyers are please with Doubletree.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
RustyJC

Sorry, but I don't feel like a sucker at all. First of all, my MS doesn't have Lippert hydraulics. Secondly, it's only been back to the dealer one time - for a failed slideout drive gear, and Doubletree replaced the entire slideout drive unit, including the gearbox and motor. We're pleased with our MS - if we weren't, we'd sell or trade it and get something else.

Rusty
2004 DoubleTree Mobile Suites 36RE3 #1291
2002 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins HO/6-speed
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #13
WildJohn

I also had a problem with the landing gear but it appears to be fixed now... It started dropping on the way back from our son's U of I graduation.. 4 hours of working on it on the road got us back here. 500 miles round trip to the purchasing dealer to have the pump,wiring harness, both front cylinders, and the solenoid on the street side replaced.
I couldn't be happier with the responsiveness of the Lippert people or my dealer. As the saying goes "feces occurs" and it is how the problem is handled that makes the difference. we are still very happy with our 'suite' after ten months full time..
John and Annie
2WildNurss
WildJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #14
BobW

Re: DT

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Bob,
Please don't refer to all of us as "suckers"
We are all suckers, when it comes to accepting pore quality manufactured components from people that only want your money. When every item made for your RV is made by the same manufacture, you have no choice but buy from them, or go without. Example, you furnace. I've owned 5 RV's and everyone has had a problem with the furnace. How about your home furnace? Same quality? How about the Fridge? Does your home fridge only last three years? This is not to say anything about DoubleTree. There not the ones that make components for your RV. I'm talking about Dometic and others. Junk. Sorry if you can't accept this fact. Last year I talked to a dealer that told me all the RV's out there are built the same way and have the same issues.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
Old 02-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
RustyJC

If you feel that way, have you considered leaving the RVing lifestyle? Life's too short to be miserable.

Rusty
2004 DoubleTree Mobile Suites 36RE3 #1291
2002 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins HO/6-speed
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #16
rverdlm

Bob, you make it sound like everyone has all these problems. I bought my first hard side RV almost 40 years ago. Most of them I kept for 10 years or more. I drove my first MH over 80K miles. My first full time trailer was towed over 120K miles. While the pin box broke after about 90K miles Fleetwood repaired it at no cost to me. I've yet to replace any of the components you mention. I did replace one AC unit and one Thetford toilet. Over those years, when I had a house I did replace 2 refrigerators, one AC unit, and a furnace. I don't think an entire industry can be considered trash because some have had problems. Most of the companies that I've contacted over the years have been very helpful in solving the problems I've experienced. Companies like Fantastic fan, MS, Tiffin and Fleetwood come to mind.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #17
rjttam

Absolutely not true that all units are built alike and have the same issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW
Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Bob,

Please don't refer to all of us as "suckers"
We are all suckers, when it comes to accepting pore quality manufactured components from people that only want your money. When every item made for your RV is made by the same manufacture, you have no choice but buy from them, or go without. Example, you furnace. I've owned 5 RV's and everyone has had a problem with the furnace. How about your home furnace? Same quality? How about the Fridge? Does your home fridge only last three years? This is not to say anything about DoubleTree. There not the ones that make components for your RV. I'm talking about Dometic and others. Junk. Sorry if you can't accept this fact. Last year I talked to a dealer that told me all the RV's out there are built the same way and have the same issues.
need be.
rjttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #18
BobW

And where does your informmation come from? I've worked for a RV rental business and have done repair work on more than 20 brands of RV's. You will never get that experience as a owner. No, not all RV's are built the same, I'll give you that. Means very little to the owner of a lemon. Lucky for me I can do most all my repair work. Not so lucky for the retired owner on an extended trip. I think we can lay this to rest. One persons experence can't speak for everyone.

[quote="rjttam"]Absolutely not true that all units are built alike and have the same issues.

[quote="BobW"][quote="john"]
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
Old 02-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #19
rjttam

I believe after having owned 14 RVs & have the 15th on order, I have gained some knowledge, and have repaired most problems that will occur in an RV. How many have you actually owned and had to maintain? I'll match my knowledge with yours any day. But, enough of this bickering, have a nice day.

[quote="BobW"]And where does your informmation come from? I've worked for a RV rental business and have done repair work on more than 20 brands of RV's. You will never get that experience as a owner. No, not all RV's are built the same, I'll give you that. Means very little to the owner of a lemon. Lucky for me I can do most all my repair work. Not so lucky for the retired owner on an extended trip. I think we can lay this to rest. One persons experence can't speak for everyone.

[quote="rjttam"]Absolutely not true that all units are built alike and have the same issues.

[quote="BobW"]
need be.
rjttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #20
Mogolfers

slide order AGAIN!!!!

Legs are working fine, so we have not taken our Select in! However Lippert did say to put slides in this order. When arriving: landing legs, bedroom slide, either liv. rm or kitchen slide, then stablizers. When leaving: stabilizers, either liv. rm or kitchen, bedroom slide then landing legs. In other words work front to back then back to front. This is the first time anyone has ever told us THIS order. We will move again the 8th keep your fingers crossed!

"Each day is a gift"