Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
BillK

Washer Problem

We ordered the Splendide Ariston stackable washer dryer in our 2011 MS. We are really having headaches with the washer when using the generator or inverter. The washer makes a chugging noise whenever we start the ginny or the inverter without ever turning it on. It will stop after unplugging and plugging it up several times and will operate normally. We are in the mountains for another 3 months away from shore power so we cannot try it on that. We have contacted Ariston and they say they cannot do anything until we are able to hook up to shore power. Our generator is a Honda 3000is and the inverter is the Xantrex supplied by DRV. Is it possible the sine wave is off on both? Has anyone ever had this problem? Thanks for any help provided.

BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
morscuba

You have probably already done this, but be sure your ECO switch is off on your Genset. It will make a huge difference.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Motor31

Have you tried isolating the inverter and just running a power cord from the gen to the washer to see if it runs normally?

I would also simply unplug the washer when not in use. It may be subject to the power surge when you start up the gen set. You might also have a surge protector between the electronics in the rig and the power socket. I have one for the TV, another for the stereo system and one for my computer. They are inexpensive insurance from spikes and the switch on the surge protector also means I can simply isolate each electronic device from the circuit to cut electrical use by those power vampires.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
BillK

Thanks for the replies. I will try plugging it directly into the generator next wash day. We do have the power management system. I am hoping that is not the problem.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
jimandsue60

We have a 2011 38REPS without an inverter. We have the same stackable washer/dryer as you. We have the same generator as you. We also have the same electrical glitch as you. When the honda is started the washer tries to start, if an ac is running the generator goes into electrical overload protection. If I turn the washer/dryer circuit breaker off I have no problems. The washer/dryer functions perfectly on shore power. We have an appointment at the factory August 22nd and will have this issue looked at. I believe it has something to do with the power management system. Eco throttle on or off makes no difference.

Jim
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
rotaxman

Power management

I believe that the power management system could be the problem. I know on this junk 09 I have that it was wired incorrectly.

This power management problem has also been discussed on this forum a while back. There are a lot of DRV's with improperly wired power management systems out there and coming off the line.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
BillK

We have tried plugging the washer directly into the generator and still have the same problem. If anyone comes up with a solution, please inform me. Thanks for any help provided.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
bstark

If: Your washer is not turned on but attempts to operate upon start-up of your generator I'm going to hazard a guess you are getting some feed to the electronics of your washer via the grounding circuit and would suggest trying a chassis ground wire be attached to the genny (there may be a lug provided for this) and then to the chassis of the washer to see if this changes the situation.

Boy these toys just don't ever quit presenting you with little challenges do they?
Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
BillK

Thanks for the suggestion bstark. I will try that tomorrow. I almost did that very thing last week but did not for some reason. I really appreciate any and all suggestions.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
BillK

Installed ground wire today without any improvement. About to run out of options.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
bstark

I'm at a loss other than to suggest using an outlet detector to ascertain if perhaps you've got a live neutral somewhere.

One of those simple plug in ones with the 3 green LEDS on it's end, plugged in and observed while you go through a genny start. Another option would be a GFCI outlet be installed to replace the one the washer is plugged into.

Worse case scenario; the thing trips every time you start the genny but at least it'll protect your washer circuitry and alert you to having to look further upstream for your problem.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
BillK

jimandsue60,

I am very interested in what you found out today. I still have the washer problem. Finally talked to DRV today and they said they were not aware of this problem. After much thought and consternation, I believe the problem lies with there being an open ground when using a generator and the washer is not compatible with that. As I understand all generators made for USA usage operate with open ground.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #13
jimandsue60

I will talk to DRV about it today.

Jim
Old 08-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
jimandsue60

DRV says they could not find a problem with their wiring or systems. I am a bit suspect of that. Regardless, I really don't have a need to run the washing machine while using the generator. When using the honda I will just open the circuit breaker.

Jim
Old 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
BillK

jimandsue60,

Thanks for the info. I suspect the problem lies with the washer electronics. If Splendide won't step up to the plate and solve it, DRV should install washers that will work and replace these that won't.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #16
hitchup

We exercised our built-in generator on Sunday. The washer and dryer were already on, but I shut them both down and thought I could turn them back on after the Onan warmed up.

The dryer turned on fine, but the washer light would only blink. Not the steady blink that it usually does when turning on or off, but more like a flicker.

I thought turning it off and turning the dial around back to the start might help, but it continued to flicker. So I switched the fridge to gas, WH was already on gas, turned off both AC's and still no change, only a flicker.

So either, we were pulling too many amps or as some have concluded, the Splendide washer is not compatible with the generator and power management system.

Now we know to not start the 2nd load or let the washer cycle through before we exercise the generator.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
BillK

Just wanted to bring this to the top and to let everyone know I finally found a fix for the problem. When using a portable generator under 6000 watts, the electricity is not bonded. I believe this is federal law. Built in generators ARE bonded. I made a bonding plug for my Honda 3000iS and the washer works beautifully. I can't believe I messed with this for 9 months before finding a solution. I had talked with several electricians and even with the company that made the washer without getting any help. This is very important to us as we boondock approximately 4 and 1/2 months a year without the power grid.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
terry and jo

OK, Bill. Now you've done it. Jo and I have a Honda EU3000IS as well. Now I need to know how to make a bonded plug. Also, how is the "bonded" different from unbonded?

Thanks.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #19
Motor31

Bill, I am curious too. This is a new term to me and I don't understand what you are getting at by it. Definitely fill us in on what you mean.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
01zeosix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
Bill, I am curious too. This is a new term to me and I don't understand what you are getting at by it. Definitely fill us in on what you mean.
This link helps to explain what by a "Bonded" neutral. Like Terry, I have the Honda 3000i generator and use with a 50AMP "cheater" box. Works fine for my needs.

Portable Generator Neutral Rewiring

50 AMP RV Cheater Box Adapter-Progressive Industries ADTP30]

Hope this helps some!!!

'08 DRV MS 36RSSB3 (#4049)
100% LED Lighting
Duramax DRW Diesel
Almost "Dunworkin"
01zeosix is offline   Reply With Quote