Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
Jim n Iowa

TV for 5er

I am happy with my local dodge dealer. I am also a newbe to this, but want to get it right the first time before going full time.
I would like to get a 3500 4x4 qc sb srw. So what are my limititations on 5ers. I have noticed a many towing with 2500's 35' + trailers. I want to get the best performance I can. I plan on towing in the mountains as well as the desert. Ready to retire, just the two of us, not alot of camping out of sites, but some. Enjoy comforts with out alot of fluff. One tv is plenty, no washer dryer ( social area is always the laundry room). So what do recomend for a 5er?
Jim

Jim n Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:24 AM   #2
jayc

Trailer length really doesn't have that much to do with what your truck will tow. The weight, both the total trailer weight, including the weight of your own gear that you carry, and the trailer's pin weight are the things that you need to be aware of.

Good luck in your choice.

Edge juice, no attitude

Join us at the Texas Boomers RV club
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:34 AM   #3
rufnit

The difference in price from what you want and a dually is minimal compared to the extra stability you'd get with the dual rear wheels. Not to mention the extra pin weight you can carry and the added safety of the extra tires.
Everest Owners Club
rufnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
cwsoules

Above 30' a 5er will likely be so heavy when loaded that it will overload a 3/4 ton truck.

Know three things about your truck. GVWR gross vehicle weight rating usually on a plate on the drivers door post. GCWR gross combined weight rating, mine is in my owner's manual. Then you need to know the agtual weight of the truck as it will be when you are on the road towing. Load it up with Mom and the kids, dog, etc, full tank and then weigh it. Add the estimated weight of the hitch and you have the truck weight. Now you can come up with some numbers to use when shopping for a 5th wheel.

Truck GVWR- truck weight equals the maximun 5er pin weight. %er pin weight is often 20% of the 5er's GVWR so you can compute the trailer GVWR you do not want to exceed.
Truck GCWR - truck weight equals the maximum 5er GVWR you can safely pull and STOP. (Note the 5er GVWR determined from the pin weight calculation will usually be below that of the GCWR calculation.

I would use the 5er GVWR in doing these calculations and not listen to a sales person who will assure you that the 5er will weigh well below it's GVWR. I doubt it.

If I had done this properly I might have bought a 1 ton.
2000 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. DTT 89% VB, TC, Mag HI-TECK Pan, Smart Box, EZ, PAC Brake, Pillar gage mount with EGT, Boost, and Tranny output temp, Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover, with RBW 5er hitch, and
Rigged to tow a 29' Automate 5th wheel.
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
Jim n Iowa

Thanks for your input. I want a 1 ton sb, srw, 4x4. I use it to drive to work, occasional road hunting. would like to park in my garage, ability to park, and dislike driving on ice. So I am down to 29-32'. I will go for the truck then find a 5'r.
Jim
Jim n Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote