Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
friz

Blue Ridge Parkway

Would like to drive the parkway north from around Asheville, NC, first week of June, mid-week. Would like to make it to Roanoke the first day approximately 260 miles. I understand the speed limit is 45 mph and less so at least 5.7 hours. This time not interested in stopping at every "lookout" just a leisurely drive pulling our 28' 5th wheel enjoying the spectacular scenery. A little help please. All comments welcome.

Thanks, Friz

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:01 AM   #2
Notanlines

Friz, it is a beautiful drive. I seem to remember there being a couple low tunnels south of Ashville, MM400 or something like that. Check your Cougar closely!
"From speed limits to weather, tunnels to tight turns, it's best to be prepared for the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Parkway speed limit is 45, with occasional areas of 35 mph, and limits of 25 mph in some congested pedestrian areas. The Parkway's many tunnels are a great part of the Parkway experience."
Pulled from their website.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
Traveling Home

Check the height of your RV. Several tunnels are low.
Traveling Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
OneReallyOldGuy

Of course there’s an app for that! Just search for blue ridge parkway in the App Store. I’ve had it for years but I’m pretty sure it was free.
It lists all the tunnel locations and clearances. There are a couple of 11 footers so beware.
260 miles on the parkway pulling a fiver would become very tedious. I’ve driven the whole thing but never pulling a trailer.
Couple of things to consider;
You are on the ridge of a range of mountains. The weather can change in a heartbeat. I’ve had sunny days turn so foggy I could barely see the double yellow line in the center of the road.
Some of the access roads are very narrow, steep and winding. Plan ahead.
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #5
elliott-maine

Another issue is that many of the pullouts aren't very friendly for a 5th wheel.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
Photomonjax

Having driven the parkway many many times I would be very learly of pulling a 5er on it. The weather can change in a very short time span from fog to rain and wind can be a factor.
Not to mention the tunels and not many pulloffs that can handle a 5er. One last note. June is a buzy time on the parkway as school is out so lots of familys with lots of kids.
Photomonjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
elliott-maine

I drove a segment of it avoiding while towing and it wasn't really fun. I wasn't able to pull over and take photos as the pulloffs couldn't handle my rig, or there was someone parked right in the middle making it useless. Would gladly drive it again, but without my trailer.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:43 AM   #8
SrFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott-maine View Post
I drove a segment of it avoiding while towing and it wasn't really fun. I wasn't able to pull over and take photos as the pulloffs couldn't handle my rig, or there was someone parked right in the middle making it useless. Would gladly drive it again, but without my trailer.
This is what we experienced too. Leave the trailer and take the truck. There are many places to stop and enjoy but way too small to stop a big rig.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
friz

After Action Report

Due to time constraints we didn't drive much of the parkway. Went up and down I-81. From what we did see I agree that it is a destination and not travel road. We stayed with friends at mile marker 195 about 300 yards off the parkway near Fancy Gap VA. We drove maybe 40 miles of the parkway without the camper and maybe 20 miles with. Next time we head that way will make it a destination doing maybe 75 miles/day. Definitely not a thoroughfare. Thanks for all the advice.

friz is offline   Reply With Quote