Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
friz

Airstream Slideout?

Has Airstream ever made a trailer with a slideout?

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Yes they did, saw a few in the plant one year on a tour, don't recall ever seeing one out in a rv park.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Janet H
Site Team

They made a slide out model for about 10 yrs. Around '98 to around '08. The 28', 30' and 34' had them. The reason for ending production was that there were not a great demand for them.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
They made a slide out model for about 10 yrs. Around '98 to around '08. The 28', 30' and 34' had them. The reason for ending production was that there were not a great demand for them.
Thank you Janet. I am surprised there was not a great demand. Slideouts are the one reason I do not consider Air Stream otherwise I love them. I will keep my eye out now that I know they were made for about 10 years. A 34' with a slideout must be very spacious inside.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Wrong, it was a tiny slide out that only added maybe a foot extra, not at all the way slideouts are in other rigs. I believe the cost and the fact it was so small made it a not very popular addition.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #6
Charico

Airstream slide out

We met a nice couple at Crescent City, CA a couple years ago. Our RV was parked across from them and we talked together and had good times. They had an Airstream with slide and they remodeled the interior and upholstered couch, dinette chairs and other couch/ beds with leather. It was striking and smelled great. The slide gave a nice spot for a little more room inside. I think it was 30 plus feet.
Charico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:25 AM   #7
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charico View Post
We met a nice couple at Crescent City, CA a couple years ago. Our RV was parked across from them and we talked together and had good times. They had an Airstream with slide and they remodeled the interior and upholstered couch, dinette chairs and other couch/ beds with leather. It was striking and smelled great. The slide gave a nice spot for a little more room inside. I think it was 30 plus feet.
I must agree with you and others who termed the slideout "small". In the photos I saw it was just the dinette which slid out and not very far.
Puzzling why they didn't make it bigger.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:57 PM   #8
Charico

Airstream Slideout

Friz,
I remember the layout did consist of the dinette area within the slide. We both like Airstream because of the look and the functionality which is nice. For us we like our 3 slides and lots of storage in our Montana.
Happy Trails
Old 04-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #9
Janet H
Site Team

I think there were several reasons they were not popular. The first is added weight. Airstream shoppers tend to be looking for lighter weight rigs. The slide added a lot of weight. It was small-ish as well and the additional cost of a new rig with a slide vs no slide was probably just not a great equation.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:59 PM   #10
Charico

Airstream Slider

Janet,
You are right about the extra weight. When we see Trailer or 5th wheel with multiple slides and look at the specs for the different weight which is significant.
Thanks for pointing that out.