Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
travlingman

Backup Camera

For those who have the factory installed wireless backup camera, what are your thoughts? Picture quality, do you lose signal while on the road, monitor size, is it audible?

Old 03-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
porthole

It's 'OK'

Now that I have a truck with the factory option of a hard wired trailer camera I would not order the wireless.

The wireless camera view is very limited, we used it mostly to keep watch on the bikes. The monitor is big. On the last truck the dash was fairly flat so I was able to use 3M command strips to keep it in front of the passenger.

The Ford hard wired camera has a much better field of view but you can't see it in motion without spending $300-500+ of black box mods. The 2021 Super Duty's now allow camera in motion.

2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
FuShiLuMeitan

Wireless Trailer camera was crap. Came with trailer, standard industry junk. Replaced it with a high end wired Sony IPS6 backup camera (1/5th the size and 4 times the resolution - exceptional day/night). Connect truck to 5th wheel, plug in camera while plugging in power/lights, go. Perfect image entire trip, any weather.

Replaced the crap cameras truck came with as well, all of them.
FuShiLuMeitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #4
bigbird272

I don't use mine. The screen is huge and the unit heavy. Won't stay on the window. With GPS it takes up to much windshield.
bigbird272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #5
Goober

I bought my trailer from RVs For Less. They had American Radio install a wired system. It is inteconnectd with the upfitter switches and dashboard display. It was well worth the investment and has worked flawlessly. I like not having an independent display to manage and being able to turn the camera on while going down the road.