Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
traveler

Hydraulic Fluid Issue

In previous postings, I have noted that I have a landing leg dropping a little over a period of a few hours--like 2 inches. The leg will hold up the load without any settling--it drops only when retracted.

I have been advised as to what is likely the problem, but have not had the repair made. Consensus was that it is probably the cylinder. OK.

But further on this matter, I have noticed ( and I do not think that this used to happen) a few drops of fluid on some of the hydyaulic lines. I see the fluid in the vacinity of the fittings and I see fluid on five lines--but only a drop or two. The fittings are tight--I have taken care of that.

I cleaned the outside of the lines and fittings and the drops reappeared in a few days--but in terms of fluid it is really a miniscule amount. Is this perhaps normal? It would take a long time at the current rate for as much as an ounce to accumulate, summing the contribution from all the lines.

traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
jack_diane_freedom

No this is not normal. You should not have drops of hydraulic fluid anywhere anytime.

jack_diane_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
bstark

If these drops are found on the lines in the pump cabinet it could mean that your fittings are still loose. If they are found on the lines at the cylinders then it could be that the fittings are: loose in the solenoid valve blocks or they were overtightend during installation and have cracked the aluminum solenoid body. While you might have tightened the hose end to fitting connection, the leaks may be from the fitting to solenoid connections.

The leaking-out of fluid on these systems also means that air infiltration is likely and the verticle landing gear cylinders with the weight of their foot and piston rod hanging straight down will use this air to sag.

Billr also had a situation with bad piston seals allow bleed-by to occur that allowed piston/legs to drop.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
RodeWorthy

The fluid accumulation could be a result of a hair-line crack in the fitting but it is not the cause of the cylinders to drop. That much travel would displace a lot more fluid than you are seeing. Hydraulic fluid must be by-passing internally, either at the cylinder seal or at the control valve. It could also be the result of air in the system but I suspect a by-passing cylinder piston seal since it is only the one leg and consistantly so.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
traveler

Thjanks to all for your comments. It give me some leads to pursue.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
You did not say what year or # your suite is.

Your problem maybe that one of your manual valves is not tight.

My suite has little thumb screws that I can loosen to manually retract the legs and slides. The one for the front legs is in the hyd. compartment.

Could be that one of your thumb screws may be a little loose.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
billr

Like the others said, most likely is the Ram. Air in the system may allow the ram to move when you operate another item, but doubt it is causing your front leg to drop. They introduced new and improved front rams in late 05/06 and they are much larger and stronger. That's what they put in when mine failed.

I agree that cracked fittings are possible for the leak. You may not even see the crack when you take them apart, it can be so small. Could be the fitting on a valve or even the hose end. May have to change both to make sure you get it fixed.

Cheers,
Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
traveler

I have a 2005 Suite. Quite frankly, I had only one seepage "leak" before I really tighened up the fittings--and I tightened all of them. At least all of them I could get to on the hydraulic manifold and on one end of the leg pistons. Is it likely that I cracked the fittings or worse, the things the fittings thread into. It seems unlikely that I could have cracked all of them. But who knows?

Finally, if I have to change out the hydraulic lines, how do I get to the piston connections on the slides. The bedroom piston is under the bed, but do I have to remove the bottom rubber cover to get at the living and kitchen slide pistons?

Actually, by carefully cleaning the fluid off and watching closely for a few days, I may be able to tell exactly where the leaks are. So far, my observations have been two or three weeks apart and by then the fluid from the leaks have "wicked" or run a few inches.

Everyones' comments and thoughts are very helpful. Thanks.