Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
rotaxman

Computer Desk

Maybe I posted a confusing statement about the desk. On the 05 that I first looked at it had a keyboard drawer and it was located between the usless glass faced cabinet above the island and the rear of the trailer. I suppose you could still call that a desktop but they did away with the keyboard drawer. I rigged up a keboard drawer on top of the desk top and a divider board to capture a desktop tower and a device to keep it from being thrown on the floor while traveling . It don't look to bad but it does look like what it is an add on. I don't like lap tops but they do come in handy from time to time. Such as now I'm in Salt Lake City Ut setting in a Hampton Inn getting ready to put Joyce on a plane to Atlanta Ga. Most of my computing is related to digital imaging which is much easier to do on a powerful desktop.

So thats my desk I use a chair from the kitchen table it works well. Also on the 05 we first looked at had Corian on that desk top which in 06 was changed to Oak along with the dresser top.

I'm also sorry for the long post

Have a nice evening TOP

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
shergry

When we bought our 07 SB3, we looked at all the drawers and cabinets. We have a desk top and wanted the room for the tower and modem (have Hughes Net). The only problem I have is the fact that I must get out the tv tray and chair from table to sit in front of the screen that I have enlarged the font to see . Have the wireless keyboard and mouse, funny thing is that it wants to be as close as possible to the mechanism that picks up the signal.
All being said, I can have my 17" screen under the tv, printer/fax/etc. right next to it. The best is that it is off my table (eating table) and all my files, etc. are put away; instead of in milk crates on my floor (that clumsy us tripped over very much ).
Wouild like to see, if possible, what yours looks like.
Hope Joyce has a safe trip and that you are not to bored, although the job (graphics) sounds interesting.

MS 36SB3 2007 #3565
shergry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
RodeWorthy

Jerry,
Don't sell the laptops short. There are many out there that are desktop replacement quality and very powerful. These types are somewhat heavier and bulkier than their cheaper brothers but their compact nature makes them ideal for use in RV's. High end graphic cards are available, if required.

Biggest drawback to laptops remains their high cost. I also am not pleased with the trend to toward the highly reflective glossy screens as compared to the duller but non-reflective screens. A highly reflective screen is not a good thing in an RV with all its windows and light sources.

I have seen some custom configurations for computer desks that Doubletree has fabricated for its customers that appear very functional. Of course, that costs money too and there is a trade-off of what you want to give up to get the desk. Many changes can be had for a price and a little forethought on what you want. I have found Doubletree easy to work with in this regard. No other manufacturer I know does this.

Rodeworthy
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
PSD_Tweaker

Send a message via MSN to PSD_Tweaker
Well, on my "ancient" 2004 TK3 we have a nice corion topped desk with a 32" wide slide out drawer for keyboard placement.
It will easily accomodate either a laptop or a desk top keyboard.
Using the desk top set-up is easy due to plenty of cabinet space below the desk, and a 2 1/2" sleeved port for cable-pass-through at the rear left corner of the desk itself.
The desk has a nice wide window for natural light, and there is plenty of room above it for the entertainment system & TV.

The only design flaw was there was nothing at the back of the slide out drawer to keep things from falling down into the cabinet below......
So during travel, pencils, pens, note-pads....just slipped out the back.
Well, a nice piece of 2" x 1/2" x 31 1/2" hardwood screwed & glued to back of the drawer fixed that!

The newer model TK3 is different I think.

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: gif rick_toy3_207.gif (181.1 KB, 240 views)
1998 VOLVO VNL/610. 425 Volvo HP with 13 speed, 22.5 Alum. Traction Control Equipped,single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE 30K 4 way rocker-hitch,DrawTite Activator II. sink, fridge,TV/VCR,microwave,
dbl.-bunks, back-up cam. DT 2004 MS TK3 #0996
https://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com
PSD_Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
rdunk

Our 2005 RE3 has a computer desk on the left side of the rear cabinet. We have a Dell large screen laptop computer, and it works/sits perfectly on it. It has a nice drawer, and it is open under the desk, so you can sit up to the "desk" normally, with knees under the desk. There is a small window behind the desk so we can look out the window while surfing on the computer. The cabinet directly above is great for storing all of the computer related stuff, like software, cd's, dvd's, etc. The right side of the rear cabinet also has a desk, with two large drawers and one door cabinet under it. This desk is perfect for our printer to sit on.

The RE3, with the rear cabinet design, is very functional for us, as we are fulltiming. I think Doubletree has redesigned this rear cabinet, in the newer models, and has deleted the computer desk. But the last time I asked, I was told they could still deliver the rear cabinets per the 2005 configuration.

Yes, we all decide upon the Doubletree floorplan that fits each of our needs the best. The features I described in the RE3, for our computer, were some of the important reasons we selected that floorplan. Also, the RE3 floorplan presents a "feeling of openness" in the living/kitchen areas. That was maybe the most important feature for us, in making our floorplan selection. I mention this, because some who read this may still be going through trying to decide upon "their" floorplan. As I have said in the past, we first decided on the TK3, and then saw the CK3, which seemed more open, and changed our minds, for it. Then we saw the RE3 in a brochure, which was completely open, and that is what we bought. So far, if we were buying again, the RE3 is what we would buy (if we could still get the computer desk)

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
jdwilson3

Desk

Our center desk drawer does have a back on it. Also, there is NO stile above the front of the drawer, so the laptop sits in the drawer and the drawer can be opened and closed without hitting a stile.

However, I keep my laptop on the desk and the wires are routed through the cutout in the right rear corner of the desktop. I keep the printer in the cabinet below the desk (No Fireplace). Next step will be to get a bluetooth ready printer, but that will be later, as I have a new Epson printer/scanner/copier.

My laptop will smoke a lot of the cheaper PCs, and it still has the non-reflective screen.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
maltruck8

Rick, sure like the way you did the picture of your rig. One of these days I'll learn how to do those fancy things with the computer. Jim
2001 Volvo (Suite-T) pulling 2007 MS 38RL3 #3347
https://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
rotaxman

Floorplan

One of the sales girls at the dealer tried to talk us into the the CK3 but being without the 12 cuft refer was not an option for us. In the CK3 if you get the big refrig you loose the pantry and being without a pantry was definatly not an option for us. I like to eat to much.

I have the fire place so there is no way to put anything under the desk. But we wouldn't give up the fireplance for anything.

Judy
I will try and do a pic but no promises they are a bit hard to deal with on this forum. Well for me anyway.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Old 08-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
rotaxman

Sorry

Sorry did it again hit submit without proof reading fingers faster than brain equals bad spelling of words

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Old 08-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
rotaxman

Computer Desk

Judy sorry I confused you with Shergry about the pic of the computer desk.

Shergry
Here we go no promises. As you can see I don't have the keyboard pulled out all the way. Don't know why I just didn't pull it out for some reason. The setup works well for me and Joyce.

Thanks for the well wishes for Joyce she will be in hog heaven down there with those two grandbaby's The digital imaging I do is just for my own pleasure no job connected with it. I have 30,000 digital photos stored on this computer and backed up on two others.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Old 08-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #11
shergry

Well now there you go! Looks good, now do you ever get leg cramps being that close to the fire place....would hope it is not on when you are on the computer.
You think Joyce will come back spoiled or that she will leave the grandbaby's spoiled???
As for the camera.......ENVY!! I still need to purchase a digital camera, had one (antique). The weather center on the left is GREAT, we have one too .
MS 36SB3 2007 #3565
shergry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
PSD_Tweaker

Thanks Jim, I use that gif. as my Avatar on the HDT forum.

Rick
1998 VOLVO VNL/610. 425 Volvo HP with 13 speed, 22.5 Alum. Traction Control Equipped,single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE 30K 4 way rocker-hitch,DrawTite Activator II. sink, fridge,TV/VCR,microwave,
Old 08-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
Mikey

Most Significant Other

Rick
Luv the gif
Luv the signature
but........................
where does Claire fit into the equation???
Just kidding
Mike & Maureen
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:01 AM   #14
rotaxman

Computer desk

Sheryl

No we don't have any problmes with cramps the keyboard drawer pulls out and leaves plenty of room for legs and feet.

We do sometimes compute with the fireplace on we have found that the desk top gets very warm if you don't leave the front grill in the pulled down position. It also seems to put more heat into the room in that position.

There's no doubt who will be spoiled the grand babies without a doubt.

There are lots of good digital cameras out there now at good prices. 10 years ago when I saw my first digital camera I said that I would never own one because of the price now I have 5.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Old 08-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #15
bstark

Mikey: I have to pay Rick a Royalty Fee everytime he uses that Avatar gif because the front of my trailer is showing off the front fender of his Volvo! Haaaar!

Ya gotta love Mini-Rally's!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #16
PSD_Tweaker

Mikey....to be honest, Claire doesn't really even know this forum exists....
Just a simple gal really....the only thing she really cares about is me....

Check your e-mail buddy.

Rick
Old 08-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #17
bstark

Jerry: Ten four on the desk getting warm when running the fireplace. I installed a piece of sheet aluminum heat shield on the underside of the desk top using some 10/24 nuts as spacers so that there is a slight air-gap between the shield and the under side of the desk and that has stopped a lot of the heat transfer to the wood but we still do the same as you and run the F/P with the grill open. I'm always afraid of the laminated top piece splitting on it's glue joints and I guess that's something the Corian folks don't have to worry about.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #18
rotaxman

Computer desk

Bruce

Well I don't know about that Corian as you know lots of folks have been having trouble with Corian range top covers cracking from heat I guess. I like the wood much better than I did the Corain that I saw in the 05 that I first looked at. I'm just not much of a Corain fan but boy does Joyce love it as a matter of fact I haven't talked to a woman yet that dosen't love it.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

2000 F 450 V10
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro