Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
BigToe

Help with new truck

Hey guys, new everything here. Never towed fifth wheel and never even owned anything but 1/2 ton truck. I always bunked in dads camper my entire life but he passed last October so I’m now in the truck/camper buying mode.

I’m looking at a new Chevy 2500 gasser as I dont plan on towing more than 3-4 times a year on hunting/family excursions and it will be my daily driver between those times. I drive maybe 10 miles a day so was told diesel wouldn’t be a good option for me. My question is with the below specs how heavy of a trailer should I be looking for. I’m sure there’s a lot to it but if someone can put me in the ballpark I’d appreciate it. Nothing worse than plunking down 50-60k on a truck that wont be sufficient. That said,

2500HD...6.6 gasser...LT with fifth wheel package.
GVWR - 10650
GCWR - 24000
RGAWR - 6600
Curb weight - 7258
Payload - 3392
Fifth wheel TWR - 16620
Max tongue wt - 2490

Can estimate occupants plus cargo at roughly 1000 lbs including hitch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BigToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
Notanlines

You can rule out that 5th wheel TWR at 16K=....you aren't even close. With a cargo capacity of 3400 less your 1000 you have 2400 pounds to fool with. At 22% pin weight that gives you a maximum gross weight for a 5v'er of under 11,000 pounds. Believe me, you have no business hauling any 5v'er over the 11K with a 3/4 ton pickup.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
BigToe

Thanks Notanlines. I knew I couldn’t do the 16k lbs the truck days it can do but was unsure how to calculate what it could do. So basically it’s more about payload than anything else? Also, from the info you gave it seems I should not look for a camper over 9k lbs dry when I go on my camper search correct?

Edit: I guess I’m just confused as these guys https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/10/how...ing-not-video/ are doing tests hauling 16k lbs with the same spec truck I note above. Are they just being wreckless or what am I misunderstanding. I’ve been reading stuff all day and I’m still not sure how to figure it.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:41 PM   #4
BigToe

Thanks Notanlines,

I knew I couldn’t do the 16k the truck said but didn’t know how to figure it. I’m confused as these guys https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/10/how...ing-not-video/ are doing tests with the same spec truck as I note above but are towing 16k lb trailer. Are they just being careless or what am I misunderstanding?

From what you’ve said I take it with this truck I should not look at a camper more than 9k lbs dry weight correct?
Old 07-10-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
BigToe

Not sure why my replies are not posting

Thanks Notanlines, so from what you’ve mentioned if I get this truck I should be looking for a camper with a dry or manufactured weight of no more than 9k correct? Towing capacity is actually a useless number and payload is really the determining factor if I understand correctly.

It’s confusing when you see things like this https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/10/how...ing-not-video/ for doing testing on pretty much the same exact specs as I mention towing 16k lbs. are they just being careless or am I missing something?
Old 07-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #6
Notanlines

With your GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of 24,000 and a truck that can weigh 10,650 maximum. Therefore a maximum weight of 13,350 for any trailer you would tow. The problem becomes threefold. A fifth wheel weighing that much would put you way over on your load capacity. A bumper pull anywhere near that weight would almost certainly require a dually for stability, and you would be very sad trying to tow that much weight with a gasser. I have owned many trucks and the gasser simply doesn't have the whoop-ass like diesel. Much better for you to look for a late model 350/3500 diesel. Yes, I realize it is easy for me to spend your money, but I'd rather be blunt than to let you believe that the 2500 gas would suffice. And if you buy a 2500 diesel then your payload takes a large beating.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
BigToe

I had planned on a diesel but was talked out of it because this will be my daily driver and I do t put but maybe 3 miles a day on it. Only towing I will do is 3-4 times a year. Was told diesels don’t like short drives and all the emissions stuff I would be having issues with it.

That being said what about that video I linked with them towing 16k lbs with a gooseneck. They just being irresponsible? Also, with the info I’ve given you would suggest a camper in the 9kb range from the lot unloaded it is that still too much?
Old 07-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
Notanlines

Let's pick a TT at 12K gross. Your tongue weight will be about 1500 lbs, WDH about 100 lbs, 3 passengers at 450 lbs, miscellaneous tools and 'stuff in the bed at 400 lbs. You still have about a thousand pounds of payload to pay with. Remember, you are within safe parameters in payload, but you will be towing a VERY large sail down the road with that gasser.
With the 5th wheel your pin weight will be in the 2650 range, hitch about 200, passengers about 450 and tools and 'stuff' about 400. Now your cargo has been boosted to 3700 pounds, 300 pounds out of cargo capacity, plus any options you've added like air bags, bed liner, bed topper, and the like. If you have a diesel rather than the gasser you can add another 500 pounds to the cargo total and now you're out about 7-800 pounds.
I know it is a dilemma, but you aren't too far out of reach on any of the numbers, just stay under the numbers we talked about.
One more suggestion, log on to https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...archid=6833659
with the same credentials you use on this site. Post your question exactly the same and you will be getting a veritable multitude of answers. VERY knowledgeable people there and all looking to help Tell 'em I sent you...
Old 07-12-2020, 10:49 PM   #9
k5ate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToe View Post
I had planned on a diesel but was talked out of it because this will be my daily driver and I do t put but maybe 3 miles a day on it. Only towing I will do is 3-4 times a year. Was told diesels don’t like short drives and all the emissions stuff I would be having issues with it.

That being said what about that video I linked with them towing 16k lbs with a gooseneck. They just being irresponsible? Also, with the info I’ve given you would suggest a camper in the 9kb range from the lot unloaded it is that still too much?
The GVWR on that truck is 10650 but they didn’t hit that until they hooked up the trailer, which means about 2500 pounds from the trailer was on the truck. If they showed a CAT ticket you’d see they were at total GCWR.

Keep in mind those guys do a specific thing, load it to max and run it up one of the steepest inclines at the highest elevation they can get to. If the truck can do that it will almost certainly do quite well pulling normal grades a few times per year. That said...

They spend a LOT of time loading those trailers, moving water totes around etc so they can hit GCWR within the GVWR of the truck. That’s almost certainly the reason they tow goosenecks instead of a fiver. Based on towing capacity any of the big three duallys could tow a New Horizons Majestic which tickets out at 30k... but the pin weight at 30k is likely at 6500 to 7500. Well over any class 3 dually payload.

You can’t do that weight balancing with a built fiver. So your 16.500 pound fiver is probably advertised at a pin weight based on it having no options and being empty, 14,000 maybe. But your basement and closet and tanks are in front of the axles. Rule of thumb is to hope for 20% of gross but plan for 25%. So you could be in the 3,300 to 4,100 pond pin weight on that fiver. IF you got the identical truck but the 3500 you’d gain some payload. Perhaps enough to pull it off. But that truck is nowhere near enough for a 16k fiver. A 16k flatbed or cargo w a gooseneck that you can load balance, sure, but that’s not what you’re doing.

I like that channel but wish they’d run similar tests with bug fivers. They wouldn’t be maxed on GCWR, which is their focus, but they’d show how well the trucks will do for a tall load at max gvwr.

My truck is a 2019 CC Duramax dually and it’s my daily driver. But I do more than your commute. We’re I in your situation I’d consider a one ton SRW with the big gas motor. Possibly the ext cab rather than the crew cab to increase availability of payload. Maybe an aluminum hitch from Anderson or pull rite. See what payload I can get. Get a fiver with radiused front cap so I don’t need the sliding hitch which is heavy, and look for a Reflection or Eagle Lite type of fiver that works. If you’re going out three times per year you aren’t going to appreciate the difference between a Pinnacle and an Eagle Lite.

Kate
k5ate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #10
FuShiLuMeitan

Dually. Diesel. I drive mine daily. Works fine. I have the Crew Cab 8’ bed Denali HD 2019. I also tow my Fifth Wheel gooseneck style (Geny Executive). Truck and Geny worth every penny. I tow a 2018 Raptor 353TS toy hauler. Anyway, I wish the OP success no matter the choice.
FuShiLuMeitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #11
Dave A

A little Optimistic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToe View Post
Hey guys, new everything here. Never towed fifth wheel and never even owned anything but 1/2 ton truck. I always bunked in dads camper my entire life but he passed last October so I’m now in the truck/camper buying mode.

I’m looking at a new Chevy 2500 gasser as I dont plan on towing more than 3-4 times a year on hunting/family excursions and it will be my daily driver between those times. I drive maybe 10 miles a day so was told diesel wouldn’t be a good option for me. My question is with the below specs how heavy of a trailer should I be looking for. I’m sure there’s a lot to it but if someone can put me in the ballpark I’d appreciate it. Nothing worse than plunking down 50-60k on a truck that wont be sufficient. That said,

2500HD...6.6 gasser...LT with fifth wheel package.
GVWR - 10650
GCWR - 24000
RGAWR - 6600
Curb weight - 7258
Payload - 3392
Fifth wheel TWR - 16620
Max tongue wt - 2490

Can estimate occupants plus cargo at roughly 1000 lbs including hitch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
My 5th wheel weighs 16,000 lbs just almost exactly. There are 12,000 lbs on the axles and 4,000 lbs on the hitch. Verified numbers from a CAT scale. It does have a generator up front which I'm sure adds to the weight of the hitch. Your truck wouldn't even be close with that size 5th wheel!
Old 07-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #12
OneReallyOldGuy

You’re talking about a whole lot of money for something you claim you’ll use “3 or 4 times a year.” Have you thought about renting an RV for your excursions? Having never pulled a 5’er you might be much more comfortable driving a class C motor home. Might be worth your while to give it a try before committing a hundred grand on a rig.
If you still want a 5’er that’s great, welcome to the club. I suggest you go to a few RV shows and pick your trailer then buy a truck that has the capacity to haul it safely.
Phil
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:42 PM   #13
BigToe

3-4 extended trips as I only have 4 weeks vacation per year. That doesn’t mean I won’t go to local lakes and camp weekends all summer.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:30 AM   #14
Notanlines

What Phil said is the correct way: "Pick your trailer then buy a truck that has the capacity to haul it safely." Old timers know this to be true. Sometimes it takes a couple RV's and trucks before you wise up.