Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
cwsoules

What Was You Best Modification

I have changed many things in our rig, but the best fix was to our closet. There are two shelves above the hanging clothes area. Each are accessable fro my wife's door and from mine. They were high up and deep. I bought 4 wooden trays from IKEA. they were the right width but about 1" too long. A little surgery in my shop shortened them so they can be used to slide onto the shelves and make them accessable and useable.

What is yours?

2000 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. DTT 89% VB, TC, Mag HI-TECK Pan, Smart Box, EZ, PAC Brake, Pillar gage mount with EGT, Boost, and Tranny output temp, Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover, with RBW 5er hitch, and
Rigged to tow a 29' Automate 5th wheel.
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
CampingCaptain

Send a message via AIM to CampingCaptain Send a message via Yahoo to CampingCaptain
Perhaps you could post some pictures so the rest of us could see your handiwork?

Vietnam Era Veteran
Proud parents of a US Marine
Retiring in 2007 and planning to go full-time
CampingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:51 AM   #3
hitchup

Doubletree's don't really need many mods. Unbelievable, they were pretty well planned out by the time we got our 2006. I did sew up some simple lined curtains & do notice it's helped us block out the high temps outside. 82 deg at 5am, so another triple digits today. Last summer we needed the foil covered bubblewrap to insulate the windows. It still felt like a hot cave. Yuk.

But I do have some ideas to change out the furniture. Just can't talk DH into spending any money right now....
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
CampingCaptain

Send a message via AIM to CampingCaptain Send a message via Yahoo to CampingCaptain
Vickie,
I'd love to hear your ideas about changes to the furniture. We're seriously thinking of ordering ours with no furniture and then adding our own.

Bryan
Vietnam Era Veteran
Proud parents of a US Marine
Retiring in 2007 and planning to go full-time
CampingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
cwsoules

Two more

Our dining room table had a corian top and was very heavy, and the matching chairs were also heavy. We replaced the table with a simple table from IKEA and I think the matching chairs were from WALMART. They serve well and saved us nearly 100 pounds.

We removed our day night curtains for washing, and while down I found that you can mount them at the bottom of the window so they open up. In this way we can have the top of the window unblocked for outside viewing while the bottom is blocked to give inside privacy. The key is making the guide strings very taught.

I'll try to post pictures after I take them.
2000 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. DTT 89% VB, TC, Mag HI-TECK Pan, Smart Box, EZ, PAC Brake, Pillar gage mount with EGT, Boost, and Tranny output temp, Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover, with RBW 5er hitch, and
Old 08-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
hitchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsoules
Our dining room table had a corian top and was very heavy, and the matching chairs were also heavy. We replaced the table with a simple table from IKEA and I think the matching chairs were from WALMART. They serve well and saved us nearly 100 pounds.
That was a good choice. Saving weight is always a good idea. I haven't been to an IKEA store, but look at their website for ideas. Big K, Target & Walmart are all starting to carry some type of replacement furniture.
Some people use futons to replace a couch, but they all look worthless to me. Could go custom, but price would probably be really high.
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
cwsoules

The picture is of an IKEA tray which was 2 inches too long. I took it apart cut the bottom and sides down by 2 inches and reassembled. I use 90 degree braces to hold the end together. [/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0770_841.jpg (189.8 KB, 182 views)
Old 12-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
mcampbell

I have a 34RL Montana. The floor plan with an office slide w/ old style TV above angled fireplace. I replaced the TV with a new 34" Vizio flat screen. I installed it in such a way that it swings out in two directions which makes it viewable from the dining and kitchen area. I installed our computer printer in the space once occupied by the old TV. It swings out with the TV allowing access from the office space. This freed up much needed space on the desk where the printer use to sit.
This was a great modification. If anyone is interested on how I did this I would be happy to send you more info and pictures.
mcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
Maxy28

The 5th wheel interiors really are beautiful ...
The rear seating arrangement and slides at both sides open. Opposite the sofa, behind the counter you can see the chair at the desk of the computer table. There is also an entertainment center next to this as you can see on the floorplan. This has the entertainment center on the rear wall and the seating to the right. To the left, not shown, is a sofa in another slide-out.

Maxy28 is offline   Reply With Quote