Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
OneReallyOldGuy

Water pressure/flow rate

This has me completely stumped. First some basic info;
The problem has persisted at three different RV parks. I’ve always had flow rate issues when two sources were drawing water at once, ie:showering when the washing machine was filling, etc. A few months ago I replaced my original water hose with a larger diameter to improve the flow rate. Shortly after that the issue worsened so I replaced my regulator with a model that has a gauge on it and I replaced my whole house water filter. The owner of the current park told me at check in that he’s running about 65psi so be sure to use a regulator. The regulator is set to 50psi. (DRV says 55psi max)
Most notably in the kitchen when I turn on the faucet I get a nice strong flow at first then it tappers off for 30 seconds or so till I’m left with a pencil thick stream. Turn off the faucet for a few seconds then back on and the process repeats.
Even more puzzling is when I flip on my water pump I instantly get a good strong flow which does not taper off at all until my water tank runs dry.
I doubt the hose or regulator is the problem. I disconnected from my water inlet the morning after I got here and washed the bugs off the front of the DRV. Never a drop in pressure.
Any help would be appreciated.
Phil

OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
porkchop

I don't know too much about plumbing problems but I would check the screen at the inlet point where your hose connects to your rig. That's about the only point I can think of that the pump and city water don't share. I guess it could actually be the back flow preventor in the same location. Good luck

Bill

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
jmerritt

Your RV probably already has a built in pressure regulator by adding one ahead of that could be your issue. Also, maybe the built in one is defective.
jmerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
porkchop

I've never heard of ANY rv coming with a factory installed water pressure regulator. Maybe I'm wrong. Show me some proof please.

Bill
Old 10-02-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
jmerritt

Water Pressure Flow Rate

Sorry, I made the assumption that a water pressure regulator was a standard feature. Can't assume that but I know my city water inlet has a built in water check vale/pressure regulator on my 2004 Holiday Rambler.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
porkchop

It is simply a check valve, not a pressure regulator. All rv's have this. Required by codes to minimize chance of contaminating public water systems

Bill
Old 10-04-2019, 07:16 AM   #7
OneReallyOldGuy

Mine doesn’t have a screen, just the check valve and it appears to be working correctly. I’m still stumped.
After taking a good look at the small opening at the check valve for the water to pass through I’m rethinking the large diameter hose. Seems kinda useless in lieu of the 1/4” opening at the entry point to the coach.
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
jmerritt

How difficult would it be to disconnect the city water line from the inlet to where it meets at the water pump outlet. Just to be sure something isn't trapped in that line since pressure is good from the water pump.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #9
porkchop

Not difficult. You reach behind the connection and unscrew it and add a fitting to go from 1/2" female pipe to 3/4" female hose. Cost about $5. My guess is that the check valve will turn out to be the problem.

Bill