Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
Txtower

Dream 5th wheel

I only have been towing 10 or so years. On my second camper, 2004 Starcraft BHS. I have been upgrading it bit by bit and would love it to last at least 10 more years. At that point with all of the kids and college educations done my wife and I will be looking for either a new or a very gently used/new fifth wheel.

So... I would like components on it like:
38-40’
A generator
Good auto leveling
Good almost hands free, Black grey water controls
A man cave area
Auto TV digital/satelite
For starters lol

I am curious as to what you guys like, don’t like, would love to get and/or avoid.

Txtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:32 AM   #2
Notanlines

I will bet most members here will agree when I say you have one great thing going for you: You actually have some semblance of a plan. There are so many people going through life not worrying in the least about where they will be in ten years, much less what it will take to bring them there.
We left our toy hauler behind because we missed the actual living space of a "regular" RV. We seriously miss all the garage space, dearly love a large living area.
Four, five or six slides. Too many is not enough.
A dishwasher. The newer models work great.
I don't know how big you would have to go to have a man-cave. But if you find it, hopefully there will be room enough for a sewing machine. Remember you will have to share all these spaces......

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:26 AM   #3
dblr

Not sure how large of a man cave you will be looking for but how about the ones that have a mid bunkroom, I have seen some that come with a sofa and not bunks but sure someone would put in what you want. Now in 10 years that floor plan might not be available but for now something to look at. Check the River Stone, Lux, DRV and Heartland lines to see some.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Rockyhud

One RV model we considered at one time was the DRV Atlanta. They're long - about 43-ft or more - and heavier, but have a 2nd bedroom/office in the rear and have more slides (i.e., more storage area). As some RVers have written about, length restrictions in RV parks and camp grounds may not allow such a long RV to be parked there. Such a long 5er can also limit the ability to park one on private property as well, given the amount of space needed to maneuver them into the setup location.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Txtower

Kind words. Thanks Notanlines. A dishwasher.. who would have thought! It blows my mind the amenities available. I was thinking purely operational/functional stuff. I need to think outside the box!

Man cave wise, just a spot to set up a desk to do things, maybe reload bullets. Gets me out of my wife’s hair. I like the sound of the mid room. I am not opposed to going with greater trailer length. I have seen some with the rooms mentioned. Nice stuff. One that stood out (model not known)had a bunk house and area in the back with sofa and table in center of it. Many options...

More brainstorming:
accessible storage is another thing that comes to mind, LOTS of it.
Awnings for slide outs (an upgrade for me, lol)
Rear bumper ready for attachments and structurally made for it.
2 or 3 axels? With buying 6 tires in 3 years, 3 would not be a huge transition.
Real shower...

Sounds like my 14 year old 5th wheel is very old school if all of the above are normal now.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Terry Weier

THIS MIGHT HELP

I own a 2013 DRV Elite Suite when purchased it had an MSRP of $160,000 with trade of a 2006 Koutry Air (that I wish I still owned) I financed $110,000 in other words I got my trade stole from me. I was informed last week that high trade value was $40,000. I would like to know how I've lost $120,000 in 5 years. Invest your money wisely and $120,000 loss in 5 years is not wisely. If I could do everything all over again I would have saved my money and I would have bought a used diesel pusher 5+ years old (((look around at the high end low mile flagship pushers on the net great deals for about the same price of a new 5th wheel))) so most of its depreciation has happened they are built 10000 times better than any fifth wheel on the road and I'm talking low quality beginner entry level diesel pushers. If I took the time and got into the level of detail of issues I've had with my Elite Suite you would get sick and tired of reading. It would read like a very boring novel all I can tell you is I've had issues from day one (I have the receipts to back it up). I will never own another DRV product as long as I live. If you must stay with fifth wheels I would sure check out probably New Horizons, Spacecraft, or possibly a Lux I've heard good things. New Horizon and Spacecraft are one-off in other words they're not built on some assembly line where they're being paid piece work.
Terry Weier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #7
wingnut60
Site Team

Don't know what/who quoted you the trade-in value and on what--but in Feb 17 I got $20k trade in from my 2005 Suites on a $90k used '15. $40k/2013 unit--Sounds like you haven't really gotten serious about selling/trading, or whoever you are dealing with is sticking it to you.
An MSRP of $160k, should not have cost more than $130 when new...
As to the repair issues, lots of that going around from all mfgs.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
Mtntrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txtower View Post
A dishwasher.. who would have thought! It blows my mind the amenities available. I was thinking purely operational/functional stuff. I need to think outside the box!
More brainstorming:
accessible storage is another thing that comes to mind, LOTS of it.
Awnings for slide outs (an upgrade for me, lol)
Rear bumper ready for attachments and structurally made for it.
2 or 3 axels? With buying 6 tires in 3 years, 3 would not be a huge transition. Real shower...
You might get 4 yrs. on the rubber.

Surprisingly the dish-drawer although working well, only uses less than 2 gal. of water. We use ours nearly daily.
On the running gear, you didn't mention the amount of actual travel you intend on doing? More, EoH disc brakes are highly recommended on the size / weight you're mentioning. MorRyde I S and pin-box work well together. Regardless of number of axles, LR-H tires.
Man cave? heck, are sure she's not expecting a Diva Den?? I'd be stuck reloading on an optional picnic table...
You should be able to get a rear hitch receiver capable of a couple hundred> lbs.
Many units have decent showers these days. Perhaps not for everyone but we've had excellent service from the Truma AquaHot on-demand water heater.

Best of luck on your research.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #9
Mtntrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Weier View Post
I would have bought a used diesel pusher 5+ years old (((look around at the high end low mile flagship pushers on the net great deals for about the same price of a new 5th wheel)))
Everything appears great on the "net", let the buyer beware. Does Amazon sell RV's? They have a good return policy.
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
Txtower

I have been sidetracked with work and lost track of my own thread.

Update; I am considering pulling the trigger on something new or gently used so that when I do retire it will be paid for Versus retiring and then getting something in either having a monster chunk of money taken away for me as cash or years of payments…

I like that mid bunk that was mentioned. I would really like to the ability to have Family stay. I like the mid as well as the rear bunkhouse. I have noticed that you either lose the bathroom or counter space (based off models I have been looking at).

My observations and preferences:

I have been researching the Forest River, Highland Ridge, keystone campers. Forest river and Highland Ridge interiors and dining amenities are not big with me. I am leaning toward the Keystone, Montana High Country. I will check out the Space Craft, Lux, New Horizon...

When I look at different makes and models I see 15 inch wheels out there… I really think 16 inch with the appropriate ply is the way to go.

Not many models out there with generators. Based off how I travel in camp that is still big on my list.

Questions:

Of the three manufacturers I mentioned and others that you all may know of; are there some to avoid, pros and cons?

We have talked amenities before and amenities are typically personal. Based off your experience are there some that are not worthwhile and others that are truly great?

What resources out there work for researching? I have not had much luck with finding a sweet spot.

I have been told to go with a local dealer because in the end it will pay off with servicing over the years. My dilemma is that local dealers here in Dallas to San Antonio area have prices that are tens of thousands over what’s the prices elsewhere (in the north). A peer that I work with mentioned going north to Michigan or Minnesota ( maybe elsewhere) to a place that simply has the best deals and refuses to be undersold and will make it worthwhile to do the trip. Thoughts?

Purchasing traps? I read about trade-ins with Terry and do not want to fall into a trap/pitfall. Stories and advice with that?

Good information from you guys so far. Hopefully this thread will help others as they prepare to make a big camper purchase.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #11
wingnut60
Site Team

Have you checked at Kansas RV Center? Used to be HitchHiker factory, good service center. Will give straight numbers over the phone/internet if you have trade.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #12
GlennWest

My dream 5ther. No roof acs, all mini split tech. At least 3k solar on roof. Large lithium battery bank, run entire 5ther off battery. All wood cabinetry. Traditional floor plan. 43' long. Residential fridge. Good stove top and stove.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #13
friz

Personal opinion. I would not buy new and part of why is because you have to buy from a dealer. You are paying retail at a dealership. That seemingly low retail price he is quoting you is because he is stealing your trade-in from you. I do not believe (from car buying experience) that you will get the same low retail price without a trade-in. The dealership will sell your trade-in at a handsome profit and the price paid for your new unit goes up above high retail. Nothing wrong with that. Part of the business model. A used unit, say no more than 5 years old will be had at considerable savings and can be found in excellent condition. Once again I would not buy from a dealer. They do have a large inventory of used units. I would suggest shopping dealers for a unit that appeals to you. Then go to the internet and find private seller. You will pay wholesale. Another reason I do not buy new is of course money. You can get so much more for your dollar when buying used. To be honest you may encounter more corrective maintenance with a used unit. But for me that is not an issue as I capable of and do all maintenance myself at 70. Once again, personal opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #14
Txtower

Good info. I have been searching used without much success. That generator is big for me and not many options so far. Not to say they are not there. I will keep looking. Is there a good resource you use for the used ones?
Old 01-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #15
Txtower

No, I have not seen that site in Kansas, but I will check it out. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:27 PM   #16
Txtower

Found a 2018 Crossroads Cameo that is close to what we are looking for. Seems like a good purchase price for $48K out the door. Pre-wired, with cut outs for generator. Offered me $5k for my 2004 ($6.6 NADA). I am considering just keeping my old camper for that and maybe do a private sale. I am looking around for that model or similar as a “used” now to get a feel for it.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:44 AM   #17
Notanlines

Tom, I've looked at the Texas dealers in your area for the Cameo and only two things stand out. First, there is no man-cave in this unit that I could see. I did see in one of the Cameo's a "second bedroom, suitable for children." Secondly, I tried to verify that this particular unit had two air conditioners and I could not. You will NOT be happy with this RV in Texas with one AC. Candidly, you may not be happy with only two in the Texas sun. 42 feet is a lot to cool with a bare minimum of insulation in the ceiling. Experienced RV'ers will back me up on this. You will need at LEAST two 15K to do the job.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #18
hamm2018

Quote:
Found a 2018 Crossroads Cameo that is close to what we are looking for. Seems like a good purchase price for $48K out the door. Pre-wired, with cut outs for generator. Offered me $5k for my 2004 ($6.6 NADA). I am considering just keeping my old camper for that and maybe do a private sale. I am looking around for that model or similar as a “used” now to get a feel for it.
We traded our 2006 Laredo in and got the same 5K for it. Thought about a private sell then thought the hassle of parking, advertisement, showing it. Just for an extra $1000 - $1500 I thought it was not worth the problems.

Think about this: If you are camping 200 miles from home and somebody calls wants to see the unit today, do you drive home or risk letting the sell go because you did not want to leave the campground and they would not wait on you to be there at the end of the weekend. Remember the customer is always right.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #19
jlsr

Quote:
When we sold our previous 5er we did private sale and sold it for WAY more than any dealer offered. We bought a gently used high end full time rated rig for a fraction of the cost of a similar new one.
Might be better off to spend that 48k on a used real Cameo made by Carriage. They made great rigs, well built with lovely finishes. Have not done any research on the one you mentioned but we did cross Crossroads off our list early due to reading about poor build quality.
We are in TX also and can say 2 ACs will struggle on a rig not well insulated. 3AC in TX would be better.
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #20
Dianeclem

2016 Redwood 36RL for sale
$60,000 priced below NADA RV retail

It’s on an RV site with full hookups for your inspection in Port St Lucie, FL.

CURT fifth wheel hitch for your truck is included.

One owner, non-smoking, no accidents, SUPER Clean & clear title.
Redwood campers are made with the best materials. Do the research
and you will discover this camper will be carefree for years to come.
This is a great camper at a great price...we are just not traveling enough.

Why buy a new 2019 at $132,800
NADA lists the 2016 used Redwood with all of our options average retail is $67,055
and high retail is $73,285.

Spacious living area: wood cabinetry, island kitchen, microwave, three burner gas stove top, oven, large pantry with pull out shelves, pull out garbage can, built in cutting board, spice rack and residential size fridge with ice and filtered water. There’s plenty of counter space for food prep and tons of storage for all your camping essentials.

The family will love relaxing in front of the large LG HD TV equipped with BluRay
DVD/CD player & sound bar. Cozy up to the fireplace and put your feet up in one of the two recliners or couch which converts to a queen bed.

Enjoy the view from a large window situated over a comfortable dinette that’s perfect for four.

Bedroom: iCool KING- sized mattress, 32inch TV, ample storage with his and hers closet and drawers. Wall in closet with shelves, safe, shoe cubbies , black out shades and whisper quiet a/c. Zzzz

The private bathroom shower with a waterfall glass shower surround, domed skylight, mirrored medicine cabinet, porcelain foot flush toilet, lower cabinet and large linen closet.

To add to the conveniences of this home on wheels, no more visits to the laundromat.
This unit has a separate washer and dryer in the hall closet.

Additional features:
Carefree adjustable awning, LED lights and removable sun shade
Awning over the 3 slides
Insulated pass through storage
Full body paint ($15,000 upgrade)
Self adjusting brakes
Upgraded heavy duty axels
EZ lube wheel bearings
50 Amp power reel
32” exterior TV
Upgraded Trail Air pin box with lock
Curt fifth wheel hitch (for your truck)
Six point Hydraulic jacks with auto leveling
Central vacuum
Whole house water filtration system and water & ice in fridge
Large pass through storage compartment
Tool, rear and front compartment..tons of storage
Night & Day roller shades
Fully enclosed & heated underbelly (four season)
Fireplace
Ceiling & exhaust fans
30,000 BTU whisper quiet dual A/C’s
Washer and dryer
All manuals

Dianeclem is offline   Reply With Quote