Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 08:07 AM   #1
Goose_NC

New to this forum - researching DRV for a possible purchase

Hello, New to this RV forum. My wife bought a 2008 WolfPack 295WP in May 2016. I owned a 2013 RAM 2500 diesel then. Now own a 2020 RAM 3500 dually.

This trailer is a great RV toyhauler for these RV newby's. We generally roam within 500 miles of Raleigh NC. Usually going someplace every 2-3 weeks for a long weekend. This year things are different, but we have a 3 week trip booked to Florida for November.

We attended RV shows and looked at dealers for about 5-6 years before we got serious. Wife's illness progressed to the point she sold her trike, and we now RV.

I started 'camping' on motorcycles with a ranger roll, as tents were for officers! When women started riding with me, I started the tent progression on the motorcycle. Then cargo trailer behind the motorcycle. Then a TimeOut camper behind the motorcycle. A brief stint in a converted cargo trailer (which we still use for tight places). Then we found this camper after I bought the RAM 2500.

After 4 years of RV learning/ownership, we are now looking at newer campers. We will use a toyhauler as eventually we will have a golf cart to add to the motorcycle soon.

While the RV vernacular is primitive camping, I laugh at 'primitive' camping with a mobile apartment and a generator. We do motorcycle events (on private property) and music events. Maybe 40% of the time we are in campgrounds.

We are interested in DRV - Full House, JX450 and LX450 models. And I will ask questions in the proper section.

Looking forward to the banter.

Goose_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

No matter where you ask questions--if you end up deciding on a DRV new or used--please contact either RVsForLess in Knoxville, TN (closest) or RollingRetreats in Elk City, OK for quotes. They continually deliver the best of the units after their Pre-DeliveryInspections are finished. Others even farther from you are Sunshine RV in Lake Havasu, AZ and Whiskey Mountain RV in Phoenix. WM only deals in used DRVs and goes thru them completely. Good luck in your research.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
Notanlines

Gary, I agree with what Joe^^^^said. Very few DRV owners that are dissatisfied completely. We would certainly buy again. You might keep in mind that most of what you are looking at are very long, heavy RV's. They won't be as handy pulling into the local rally's. But once you're set up the comfort cant be beat! Might as well spring for the generator while you're at it. We both recommend the gas vs. propane. Ours is propane and it has it's drawbacks. Massive fuel consumption and tanks freezing up after long use.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #4
MTK46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Gary, I agree with what Joe^^^^said. Very few DRV owners that are dissatisfied completely. We would certainly buy again. You might keep in mind that most of what you are looking at are very long, heavy RV's. They won't be as handy pulling into the local rally's. But once you're set up the comfort cant be beat! Might as well spring for the generator while you're at it. We both recommend the gas vs. propane. Ours is propane and it has it's drawbacks. Massive fuel consumption and tanks freezing up after long use.
I guess I'll add my two cents worth about a generator. Yes spring for one. I don't have any freezing up issues with my propane one. I also don't feel it uses lots of fuel. Maybe I don't you it the same as others. I did add 2 200 watt solar panels to mine. Also have 4 six V batteries. Maybe that's the difference?
2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5556
2017 F-350 CC 6.7 diesel dually, Banks Derringer tuner with super gauge
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #5
wingnut60
Site Team

Had a 5500 Onan in the '05 when bought it in '07. Moved it to a '15 DRV when we traded in 2017. Gen ran very well with minimum maintenance. Was running just fine when we sold the '15. Used a lot of propane, but the convenience of one fuel for heating, elec, and cooking offset that. With a TH, a diesel setup may make more sense, they are available.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote