Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
2 DA WDS

Power Awning Extention Problem

Last night I extended my awning using the remote. It would unroll about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and then stop. I would have to push the button again and it would do the same until I got about 1/2 way out then it opened the rest of the way without stopping. Coming in it worked fine. Any thoughts?

2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Tom
Mine has worked exactly that way since new, with the remote only.
If I use the switch inside the door it goes right out.

Ponch

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
2 DA WDS

So the answer is 'not my problem'

Just for a stab I tried contacting the fine folks at Dometic. You know, the ones that burned my trailer down with their fridge. Oh wait a minute, that wasnt their problem either.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We do not have access to technical information. All service must go through a service center for liability reasons.

If you are in need of any Dometic refrigerator or air conditioner or A& E awning parts you can call us at 1-800-544-4881 or purchase from any dealer or Camping World location.

If we can be of any future service do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for choosing Dometic product lines.

Customer Support Center
Dometic Corporation
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To <CustomerSupportCenter@dometicusa.com>
cc
Subject Re: Weather Pro Awning

So, what you are saying is that with thousands of these awnings out there and with Rv'ers on the Internet saying that they have the same problem. You have NO IDEA what may be causing this problem, NO LIST of items to check?? Just go to a repair person, its not your problem??

------------------------Original Message--------------------------------------

Date: 4/8/2008 9:40:00 AM
To: Tom Brockman
Subject: Re: Weather Pro Awning

With out actually seeing the product, it is very hard for us to determine the cause of failure. We recommend that you take it in to a service center for them for diagnosis & repair. Our Authorized Service Centers are listed on our website at http://www.edometic.com/ or you can search by phone at 1-800-544-4881. We also maintain a dealer listing by state/province at http://www.rv.com/. Click on the "Resources” link at the top of the screen and then click on “RV Dealer Locator" at the left side of the screen. Then enter the country code as USA or CAN for Canada and the appropriate two-letter state/province code and also either a city or zip code if possible. That should present a listing for you.

If you are in need of any Dometic refrigerator or air conditioner or A& E awning parts you can call us at 1-800-544-4881 or purchase from any dealer or Camping World location.

If we can be of any future service do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for choosing Dometic product lines.

Customer Support Center
Dometic Corporation

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To <CustomerSupportCenter@DometicUSA.com>
cc
Subject Weather Pro Awning

Last night I extended my awning using the remote. It would unroll about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and then stop. I would have to push the button again and it would do the same until I got about 1/2 way out then it opened the rest of the way without stopping. Coming in it worked fine. Any thoughts??

Happy Trails
Tom Brockman
'2 DA WDS'
Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
sigo'suite

Mine too seems to require a lot of very direct pressure to the open button to work without stopping several times; in fact I don't think I have ever got it to extend without several attempts. It has always been that way, but hey, at least it always opens.

Like Ponch says, using the extend/retract button in the coach never fails.
Lastly, there is of course, a battery in the remote which over time could need to be replaced. Same battery as most garage door openers use. I have changed mine and it made no difference in performance.

Having said all of that I think it is just another one of those:

"Ever since Adam ate the apple it ain't been a perfect world!!!!" occurrences

No emoticons used since they hain't a work'in
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
2 DA WDS

Well Sigo that rules out the change the battey idea I had.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
sigo'suite

Tom,
I still would try that though, specially if you use yours a lot. Never know, worth a shot.
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
Motor31

I think the placement of the receiver has a bit to do with it. On our rig it's all the way up front mounted on the basement wall by the corner. If I move to try and have as clear a path to it as possible avoiding the "stuff" in the basement it works better. It seems to be a very low powered remote.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
RonS

Mine still works with the remote if I continue to press the button. My new problem is that it hangs up (most times) on the back by the entry door. I have to pull on it to release. I have tried to adjust every way I know even a hammer and have tried various lubricants no luck still hanges up 80% of the time. Ay idea for adjustment ??
I also have the wind setting on the higest reading and its still retracts when a car drives by, so I leave the option off.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
Texas 250

If you will look at the owners manual for the awning, it will tell you that when you use the remote to open it, you push it one time and it will come open all of the way. To close it, you hit close and it will close all of the way. But, on the Mobile Suites, the remote does not work this way. You have to hold the open/close button down to activate it. I called Double Tree and talked with Kent and he said this is how all Mobile Suites remote awning switches work. I called my dealer and he checked new units on his lot and they all worked the way that mine is working. Called Dometic and spoke with a tech and he said that is was supposed to work like the owners manual said which is push one time and it will open all of the way, and push close and it will close all of the way. So, when ya'll figure out how to make it work like the owner's manual says it should work, let me know.

01/250/SD/SWB/4DR/4WD
2007/RS3/LOADED
Texas 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
Gemstone

I'd suggest that everyone look at the control box to check on where DT set the automatic wind sensor...ours was set for max wind speed from the factory. We modified this so the awning retracts at a much lower wind speed.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #11
Motor31

Some of the awnings are temperature sensitive as well. Ours would roll up as soon as it got over 90 degrees wind or not. We deactivated the wind sensor feature a long time ago.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
2 DA WDS

Messed with the awning again this weekend. Appears to be a reception problem. Worked fine from about 2 feet away from the control box.