Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
kmosher6

Digital TV antenna

While we were staying in Yuma, AZ I found an attachment for the TV antenna that optimizes the reception of the digital transmission. Its called "Winegard Wingman" I paid 24.95 and it improved my reception. Without the attachment I was recieving 1 station with the attachment I recieved 9 stations. Its very easy to install and reqires no tools, it only weights about a pound. It just clips onto the present Wingard antenna. I was told that it made the antenna more directional but I just raised the antenna and recieved that improvement.

kmosher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
rjohnsonnm

Where did you get the attachment? I was in San Diego for 2 months and could never receive all 4 networks at the same tiime. Now I'm in Anaheim and have the same problem. The problem is made worse by the fact that I can't just rotate the antenna to receive another channel, I have to reprogram the TV channels again because they aren't captured in memory if the signal is not strong enough to receive. I also have to reprogram the DVR for the same reason. If we are in a park where there is cable it's not an issue except that you don't get HD over RV park cable. I'd like to find a good (and reasonably small) omnidirectional HD antenna. I bought one at Wal-mart for $19.95 that said it was omnidirectional but it's not worth the cardboard box it was packed in.

2004 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #0925
2011 F-350 Lariat Diesel Longbed
Albuquerque, NM
rjohnsonnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
kmosher6

Wineguard Wingman

Its called Wineguard Wingman I bought mine from Satellite Relay at the Arizona Marketplace the large Flea Market. The Office address is 4475 East Highway 80, Yuma, AZ phone number (928) 314 3157. Since our TV antennas on Mobile Suites are Wineguards they fit right on. You could probably order from wineguard or find a dealer closer to your location by calling Wineguard at (800) 288-8094.
kmosher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
jdwilson3

Also, available at CW: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-wingman/44021
Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
I also have had good luck with my Winegard "wingman".

I have my roof top antenna attached to a Directv AM21 over the air digital tuner and R22 DVR.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
sr

I purchased one today and installed it. Took all of 3 minutes. What I don't understand is how does it work when there is no direct cable hookup and the mount is plastic with plastic push "nuts"????
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
RonS

Installed mine and also only took a few min. Dont have a clue how it works?? I now think my antenna cranks up harder than before, but the wingman is a real light weight. Maybe something needs lube???
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #8
jadenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
Installed mine and also only took a few min. Dont have a clue how it works?? I now think my antenna cranks up harder than before, but the wingman is a real light weight. Maybe something needs lube???
I can give you a link on this, I hope this would be a great help. Check it out :)
jadenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
RodeWorthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr
I purchased one today and installed it. Took all of 3 minutes. What I don't understand is how does it work when there is no direct cable hookup and the mount is plastic with plastic push "nuts"????
The Wingard antenna is a bowtie design which is a form of a folded dipole. This is a single element antenna that has broad bulbous lobes off the side and therefore less affected by direction. Adding elements - a reflector - longer element behind the driven element (one with the wires); and directors - progressively shorter elements in front of the driven element increases the gain by narrowing the focus of the lobes creating an increased signal but in a narrower focus (more directional). There is no physical connection between elements but the length and spacing is critical. Very similar to the traditional Yagi or LP antenna designs on traditional over the air antennas we used to see on every house. The Wingman adds only the director -- I presume there is a conductive piece embedded in the plastic to provide the necessary element.

This is a simplified description of a complex subject. I hope it helps solve the mystery.

Good to know you are getting good results. I have read conflicting reports on how well the Wingman works. I guess I will have to pick one up when I am in Yuma and try it for myself.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
rjohnsonnm

I installed a Wingman several years ago and it made an insignificant difference. So, I bought 2 antenna boosters at Wal-mart and hooked them in series with the booster that's already on the switchbox. Holy cow!!! I went from 1 or 2 stations to 25 or more in most large towns. And I can pick up stations from large towns when I'm out in the boonies most of the time. I even get all the networks in San Diego, which was impossible before because they are located all over the compass. I even use the antenna many times when cable is available because I like the HD picture on my 37" flatscreen. Total cost was about $25.00 I installed regular 120V switches in a standard blue switchbox from Lowes so I can turn them off when not in use. It was a 30 minute job from start to finish. The hardest part was dealing with the cables in the back of the present switchbox.

Before the "techies" get on my case about "overdriving" the digital signal, I just turn one or two off.
Ron
2004 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #0925
2011 F-350 Lariat Diesel Longbed
Albuquerque, NM
rjohnsonnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
terry and jo

Well, it looks like Linda27 resurrected an old post just so she(?) could insert her link.

As for the Winegard Wingman, is it truly digital. From what I could read at the Camping World link provided by an earlier by jdwilson3, this antenna is mostly to improve UHF signals and does little or anything for VHF.

If I remember correctly (and that can be questionable), digital broadcast TV wasn't even in effect at the time this thread was initially posted.

Am I missing something?
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #12
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Terry,
The wingman itself is not digital. the broadcast is.
Some stations were digital before the mandatory date. And some were broadcasting in both digital and analog.
I wrote a lengthy review on the camping world site a few years back, but it is not there any more.
My review basically said about the directional ability of the wingman.
It picks up signal off the side of the antenna instead of the front and back.
So if you are in a spot between 2 cities you have to decide witch city you want to watch. Where as withoput the wingman you could watch 2 different cities if you were in between them off the front and rear of the antenna.

2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote