Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
mcfarlak

2007 38RL3 Elite Suite Trouble

We have had major troubles with my new 2007 38RL3 Elite Suite. Since we took delivery on 29 March 2007 the coach has been back at the factory twice for major slide problems and numerous other major problems, IE: Microwave blew up, had to replace, roof mounted satelite dish had to be replaced, Dining table turned toward window so as not to be able to open extra leaf in table, remotes for living room tv in no shape or fashion works. screw sticking through bathroom wall and out the other side. Major leak under bathroom sink We did our homework for 2 and a half years before deciding on this coach. I wished now that we had shopped longer. Where is Doubletree's Quality Control? Out of the 5 months we have owned this coach we have only been able to use it 2 months.
Disappointed in Virginia Beach Va. Outdoor Resorts

mcfarlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Motor31

Quality control has been a major problem for DT for some time. They claim to have taken care of it but more stuff like your rig keeps popping up. It sounds like yours was a Friday build like ours was. Lots of problems that should never have gotten past any inspection.

I'm sorry that your experiance has been less than happy with them. I'm sure the cheer leaders will be along soon to tell you things aren't bad at all. Good luck and keep all of the sub unit warranty cards handy for problems with things like AC and fridge. At least with them you get more than a one year warranty.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
maltruck8

There appears to be no Quality Control at DT. You might want to look at my Webshots under wheel alignment and check yours. That was a problem with Lippert axles. We have had a lot of problems with our MS 38RL3 that we got in Jan 07, all of which I feel were poor workmanship.
2001 Volvo (Suite-T) pulling 2007 MS 38RL3 #3347
https://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Gunship Guy

Re: 2007 38RL3 Elite Suite Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarlak
We have had major troubles with my new 2007 38RL3 Elite Suite. Since we took delivery on 29 March 2007 the coach has been back at the factory twice for major slide problems and numerous other major problems, IE: Microwave blew up, had to replace, roof mounted satelite dish had to be replaced, Dining table turned toward window so as not to be able to open extra leaf in table, remotes for living room tv in no shape or fashion works. screw sticking through bathroom wall and out the other side. Major leak under bathroom sink We did our homework for 2 and a half years before deciding on this coach. I wished now that we had shopped longer. Where is Doubletree's Quality Control? Out of the 5 months we have owned this coach we have only been able to use it 2 months.

Your post left me scratching my head. Here's why...

"Microwave blew up..." Blew up? You mean pieces flew everywhere, fire, and damage? Or did it just stop working? Anyway, Doubletree doesn't make microwaves. Sounds like a GE problem (if yours is GE).

"...satellite dish had to be replaced" What was the problem with the dish? Again, if the dish is faulty it's a manufacturer issue. Maybe DT could have checked to see if it was working before it left the factory.

"Dining room table turned toward window..." Huh? Couldn't you just turn the table yourself? Did you check to see if the bracket screwed to the back of one of the legs was removed? The table is screwed to the floor to hold it in place during transit.

"...remotes..." Batteries installed? The remotes work. People complain about the complexity of the A/V system all the time. You just need to figure out how they work.

"...screws..." Yes. That's a DT problem.

"...leak under bathroom sink." Yep. DT's problem.

I want to sympathize with you but when you list "table turned the wrong way" as a major problem, well, I just can't.
Gunship Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunship Guy
Quote:

Your post left me scratching my head. Here's why...

"Microwave blew up..." Blew up? You mean pieces flew everywhere, fire, and damage? Or did it just stop working? Anyway, Doubletree doesn't make microwaves. Sounds like a GE problem (if yours is GE).

"...satellite dish had to be replaced" What was the problem with the dish? Again, if the dish is faulty it's a manufacturer issue. Maybe DT could have checked to see if it was working before it left the factory.

"Dining room table turned toward window..." Huh? Couldn't you just turn the table yourself? Did you check to see if the bracket screwed to the back of one of the legs was removed? The table is screwed to the floor to hold it in place during transit.

"...remotes..." Batteries installed? The remotes work. People complain about the complexity of the A/V system all the time. You just need to figure out how they work.

"...screws..." Yes. That's a DT problem.

"...leak under bathroom sink." Yep. DT's problem.

I want to sympathize with you but when you list "table turned the wrong way" as a major problem, well, I just can't.
I don't care if DT only does the assemble of parts all made by a 3rd party. The bottom line is they chose to use these parts, they are responsible for what suppliers they use and the quality of the assembly proses.
If I buy a AC at Wally World I'm not going looking for the manufacture if it goes bad, I take it back to WW. If they don't take it back they are the sh--ts not the manufacture, for not standing behind what they sell.

I'll never buy another high end RV as none of them are what they should be. I'll get a mid rang and use the $20K I save for repairs that seem to be inevitable.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
mcfarlak

Reply to Gunship

Gunship I wrote a 30 minute note this morning but it did not go through. I can only say what Rick said that My point is, I too will never buy another high end model again. You must work for Doubletree. I expected quality and I did not get it. Rick my feelings exactly! when all of the GE's and RCA's and whatever else go into a coach the end product will be, in this case my 2007 Elite Suite. I hold Doubletree accountable. I should not have to remove the screws and turn the table around myself. Quality control should have caught that. As for the microwave, it did blow up and got so hot it actually melted the plastic glass door. GE said that it was actually an older type microwave/convection oven that was installed, I guess Doubletree found it lying around and just stuck it in there. The satelite dish electronics cover came loose because there were no screws attached and caused the cover to hang up in the rubber belt and bent the movable dish. My wife discovered the sink leak a week into our first trip and only after getting a towel under the sink that had soaked through a stack of 12 towels. I guess you, Gunship did not mention the slide problem because it was too minor. That slide was a problem from the very first day and after being back at the factory twice is still not repaired. When do you call a lemon a lemon? Doubletree states in their brochure Find out what the customer wants in quality and exceed that. They did not come close. All I can say is the old adage still holds true BUYER BEWARE!

Respectfully
Ken McFarlane
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Outdoor Resorts Virginia, Beach
Old 09-16-2007, 07:42 AM   #7
Gunship Guy

I don't work for DT. Why do people like to use that tired line when someone responds to a post not supporting the original poster? Maybe they think it's a snappy come-back.

What does not removing the bracket have to do with lack of quality control? I'll write this slowly for you. The bracket was put there to hold the table in place while in transit to the dealership. If they hadn't put the bracket on the table and it moved around scratching the wall, etc you would have complained about that too. Probably crying that DT should have installed some device to hold the table down. Now, do you understand the purpose of the bracket??

I guess I didn't mention the slide problem because I lost track of all of your complaints.

I really don't care if you don't buy another high end trailer and I couldn't care less if you decide to never buy another DT product. But you did buy one so just get your problems fixed and stop crying about every ache and pain you experience. You and Hobo should get along very well. He's another whiner in this forum. But we've all heard his whimpers a thousand times so, hopefully, he'll relate them to you via private message.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
mcfarlak

Reply Gunship

Let me see if I can fix this for you! I do not know who you think you are, but you do not impress me. I would prefer if you do not respond to any of my questions again, and if you care to discuss it in private call me at 804 920-6206 so I can tell you what I really think! GOT IT? I HOPE SO

Ken McFarlane
Old 09-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
Gunship Guy

Actually, let's discuss it face-to-face if you're up to it, tough guy. I'm in VA often. Give me your address.

By the way, I'll be off line for a week or so while I'm on the road. Don't forget that address. GOT IT? I HOPE SO.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
Hobo

Quote:

I really don't care if you don't buy another high end trailer and I couldn't care less if you decide to never buy another DT product. But you did buy one so just get your problems fixed and stop crying about every ache and pain you experience. You and Hobo should get along very well. He's another whiner in this forum. But we've all heard his whimpers a thousand times so, hopefully, he'll relate them to you via private message.
The problem is not getting it fixed, as I have done that myself. The problem was getting it fixed by the factory CORRECTLY any time under warranty.

Table brackets aside as that is as you said a shipping bracket the rest of DT QC sucks and has from day 1. Their engineering has been learn by mistakes and they are not fast learners.

Have a good trip and drive safe.
The Whiner
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
Gemstone

Relax guys....lets all remember that one purpose of MS forum is to exhange ideas and information..both positive and negative about the rigs we've chosen. Personally, I find nothing wrong with a negative post, as it is usually pointing out some defect that I might not have experienced yet...and being fore-warned is fore-armed. Positive comments can be useful as well, as is a tip or solution to a problem we as a group experience with our rigs. Just this morning, I fixed the problem of the ill designed magnetic latch on medicine cabinet. If you have this latch and your contents have not spilled out during transit, consider yourself lucky. Ours did, and a heavy glass container fell onto the granite lip of the sink and took out a large chip...grrr. This morning I installed 4 plastic mirror brackets (like you'd use to mount a mirror to a closet door), one at the top and bottom of each door ....now the door will be firmly closed during transit.

Remember, life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 09-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
jdwilson3

gemstone

I agree with Gemstone. This forum should be about helping each other get issues resolved. After Gemstone brought up the issue of his medicine cabinet last year, I made sure I had a fix in place prior to loading our stuff into the medicine cabinet after we picked ours up. I used Velcro straps to hold the doors shut. I would not have known about the issue if Gemstone had not brought it up.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #13
mcfarlak

Reply to Gunship

Please keep in mind that I joined this forum to get technical and helpful advise, not to trade barbs with you. You might want to find a mental health forum, I think you would do much better there where you can get your inner feelings out. I will not respond to your insults again. I wish you health and happiness. Now, go and create a great day.

Ken
Old 09-16-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
bstark

I find this thread vaguely reminiscent of discussions that culminated in the "whats happened to George" thread by butch50 of over (Mar 20/06 11:06am) a year ago on behalf of which some members of this forum should remain proud of their behaviour to this day! NOT!

If anyone is interested, my feelings about posting info regarding defects perceived or otherwise have not changed.

Understanding that someone who has just made a very significant outlay of money for one of these rigs and having to endure some initial dissapointment may result in their posts displaying a little of that disappointment is not difficult if we just put ourselves in their shoes for a moment.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:36 AM   #15
Gunship Guy

Well, I woke up this morning to check my email before hitting the road and received one from a friend on this forum telling me Ken had responded. I was looking forward to getting that address. I'm disappointed.

Ken, I don't want your phone number to engage in a "chat". I like dealing with problems and problem people head on. You wanted to tell me "what you really think" but I now realize that's only if you have the security of your cell phone or keyboard.

You joined this forum for, what was it..... "to get technical and helpful advice". Yet in your very first post you requested neither. You only bitched and moaned. I still can't get over the "table turned the wrong way" as a major problem in your mind. I hate people who complain, but admire those who take action to resolve their problems.

Sure, you spent big money on a trailer. We all did. You have some trailer issues facing you. I think it's safe to say most of us have too. Just get them fixed, man!

As for my "mental health" issues. I was really looking forward to expressing my feelings once you gave me your address. Next time you want to play internet tough guy just be prepared that someone might be fully willing and able to travel to take you up on your offer. Since you won't be responding to my posts anymore I guess I'll miss out on the humor of your next weak attempt at insulting me.

When you post on a public forum you should be prepared to hear from those who disagree with you. Deal with it. If you can't handle that then I suggest you start your own website/forum where you can delete posts from people like me who aren't into crying on shoulders and warm internet hugs. I just don't go for that bs.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #16
Haggis

Quote:
Well, I woke up this morning to check my email before hitting the road and received one from a friend on this forum telling me Ken had responded. I was looking forward to getting that address. I'm disappointed.

Ken, I don't want your phone number to engage in a "chat". I like dealing with problems and problem people head on. You wanted to tell me "what you really think" but I now realize that's only if you have the security of your cell phone or keyboard.

You joined this forum for, what was it..... "to get technical and helpful advice". Yet in your very first post you requested neither. You only bitched and moaned. I still can't get over the "table turned the wrong way" as a major problem in your mind. I hate people who complain, but admire those who take action to resolve their problems.

Sure, you spent big money on a trailer. We all did. You have some trailer issues facing you. I think it's safe to say most of us have too. Just get them fixed, man!

As for my "mental health" issues. I was really looking forward to expressing my feelings once you gave me your address. Next time you want to play internet tough guy just be prepared that someone might be fully willing and able to travel to take you up on your offer. Since you won't be responding to my posts anymore I guess I'll miss out on the humor of your next weak attempt at insulting me.

When you post on a public forum you should be prepared to hear from those who disagree with you. Deal with it. If you can't handle that then I suggest you start your own website/forum where you can delete posts from people like me who aren't into crying on shoulders and warm internet hugs. I just don't go for that bs.
Gunship [Profile Fits]
You sound like a guy that scratches his head a lot. Do you get many slivers?
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #17
Haggis

Quote:
Ken
I too have had major and minor problems with my 2007 38RL3 Elite Suites. Too many to list here.

I will be on my way to the factory for the fourth time. Lost count of the times I have been to the dealer.

Seems every time I step into the unit something goes wrong!
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #18
47hook

I too have had problems with our 07 MS which we have had since May. Only towed it about 3,000 miles on 2 short 2 week trips. First outing some of the issues I’ve read on this forum popped up: basement door strut attaching plates ripped almost off the door, pocket door latch bottom screw ripped out of the door, floor around bathroom sink/shower squeaks, one cupboard door misaligned and one drawer under fridge doesn’t fit flush when closed. Wall switch for overhead fan broke internally so can’t turn on fan.

Fixed all but the last two, metal plates and epoxy for the struts, just drilled a couple of holes in the front of the pocket door latch and screwed it to the door – both those fixes may not be real pretty, but they work. Adjusted the door latch on the cupboard and used plastic shims from Home Depot and slid them between the metal frame and floor in the basement area and no more squeaks. Total outlay, probably $20 bucks. Couldn’t tow the MS to a dealer any cheaper. DT will send new switch.

Still can’t figure out the stupid A/V stuff (may be an A/V receiver issue) – why can’t they just put a button that says pass? (For you Larry the Cable Guy fans). Will call DT for help soon. I have Dish TV and can’t get sat 110 to show all its channels, even with the SW42 installed and showing both polarities on sat 119 and 110, think it is my receiver but not sure. Have to haul the MS up the road a bit to get uncovered from trees before I can call Dish and have them help me.

Not to stoke the fires, but I have never in my memory had any complex “thing”, vehicle, RV, stick built house, computer, etc, etc be completely trouble free. Some stuff needed professional help, others I took care of. I agree that all manufacturers’ need to have good QC processes in place. A comment was made that if you bought a widget from WalMart and it broke, you wouldn’t go to the OEM, you’d go back to the store for a replacement. So would I and sometimes you may find that they won’t replace it, they’ll fix it, sometimes you may have to send it to the OEM…just depends on the warranty and the store’s policy. If you bought a new Tow Vehicle and had problems with tires, you’d go to the tire dealer, not the vehicle dealer; at least that is what my warranty manual states.

I don’t know what kind of work folks on this forum do, but I always wonder if in the discharge of their responsibilities were they perfect every time? Or did they expect their “customers” to give them a break because they are only human? Humans make mistakes; have personal problems to deal with which may distract them and sometimes just get up on the wrong side of the bed. But aren’t we all lucky that we have a bed?
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #19
bstark

Right On! And one with nice looking wheels at that!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #20
rverdlm

Just let me add an AMEN!

2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote