Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Dodgerfan310

Greetings from Torrance, California

Hello everybody. Glad to be here. Finally made to the move from TT to FW.

Dodgerfan310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Welcome to the forum, lots of good information here.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
RV-Fourms

Smile Hello from Glenford, NY

Hi All. I am finely going to make the move and get a Fifth Wheeler.
I can not Wait to hit the road. As the old Motto says !! TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIVES ( Well that should be our lives)
The other Part of the out Is my girl friend who will be the my copilot and navigator > She is returning to the States after 26 years in the US Army of which the last ten has been in the Sandbox in Iraq. So I am thinking that the first place should visit is Denali National Park in Alaska. That way she can cool down from the heat of Iraq . Plus she has never scene snow before as she comes the deep south.
RV-Fourms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Another welcome to you, and thanks to her for serving.
Denali will be great for cooling/settling down, just be sure to have reservations if going before Labor Day.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
RV-Fourms

Hello Wingnuts60
I will tell the love of my life that you thanked her service.
Alaska is a big part Of our plans. we are planning to start with a two year test run full timing it. . And if that works out who cam tell where we go from there.
Right now some of the places we well I are planning to hit are Mount Rushmore Where Mary will get married , the Black hills , and while South Dakota traveling along I-70 hit the Corn Palace , Wall Drug , Dead Wood Rapid City, well that is a start. If you have any ideas I would glad to hear about them. Thanks gain for your reply
Old 05-24-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

10 years in Iraq--a fate worse than death? WoW!
All the places you mention are well worth visiting--always plan to stay longer then you think you will need to stay--some of these take time to look over.
Have been to AK twice, hope to go again before too old to travel.
Might keep in mind to do some of your visiting outside of the summer months--crowds are gettin atrocious--RVs are selling like hotcakes and they all want a place to stay.
Best of luck and congratulations.
Joe
Old 05-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
RV-Fourms

Mary told me that they don't call it the sand box for nothing. and the heat just terrible. But on the good side her time in Iraq is paying for the rig . She wants New Horizons RV 39' Majestic: M39FB4S That is the one with the bath and a half. And I have got her to be happy with that one . She wanted the biggest they make, But I told her the longest tow vehicle and trailer by law is 65 foot. she asked me does any company have one with a swimming pool ? She is a full bird colonel and nothing is impossible to them. Mary started out as a Private she will retire as a Colonel. Plus the Army sent her to Medical School where she got her PHD as well.
it will be to know the the person sitting in the copilot's seat is a doctor.
We have a deal She gets to pick the house on wheels and I get to pick the tow Vehicle and i a going the a Volvo 780 HDT .
Mary wanted a motor home but I was not for that All I could see was with that wind screen and a head on and the front cap being Fiberglass The driver is toast.
In the aviation industry there is a motto. That pilot in the first one to the scene of the accident, In I feel that the same is true with Motor Homes. But I did give in a bit . Mary wants a new Volvo 780, She did not want a tow Vehicle with 300,000 on the clock. So I gave in to her. since she is paying. Isn't it big of me. I hope you do not mind me yanking like this You are the first Person that I have spoken to that has made the Alaska trip. And Feel you know some thing about it.and not trying to sell me something.
Thank for chatting with me. Bob
Old 05-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

Well, goodness, sounds like you two are really going to have a livable/trailable combo. NH is top of the line in anyone's book.
PHD/Colonel--doubly impressive.
Be sure and check out the HDT sections on many of the RV forum websites. And there is an annual meet of HDT rigs in Hutchinson, KS, that might be good to check out.

The Alaska round-trip is a fantastic adventure, and 4 months the first time was not enough. The Milepost map/info is first item to get, and subscribe to NorthtoAlaska.com for lots of good stuff. All of the Canadian Provinces/towns have tourist info to be asked for, and lots in AK also. Start gathering it all up...
She deserves a long, relaxing trip with no military worries.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
RV-Fourms

Joe I think the world of her. And I would put my life on the line for her. I put my life on the line for People I do not even know. I have been a volunteer fire fighter for over twenty year so I put my life on the line every time the fire pager go off. If I can do that for the folks I do not know , I sure as heck do that for the woman I love.
In the Fire Service we have two slogan . the first is FIRE MEN STILL MAKE HOUSE CALLS and The second one PUT THE WET STUFF ON THE RED STUFF
Old 05-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #10
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Enjoyed reading your post. Your going to have a BLAST not only with the love of your life, but the new rigs. Take your time, your not going to be on vacation and only have a week or two to see things. The very first year of our full time travels we drove about 15,000 miles, then we slowed up and averaged less than 8,000 per year. Had a lot more fun going slow and really enjoying the lifestyle we chose.
Keep us in the loop of all your travels.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 05-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #11
RV-Fourms

Thank you stripit for your reply to my post.
You look like You are just the person I want to Talk with.
We are looking it getting a Hew Horizons Fifth wheel trailer floor plan 39' Majestic: M39FB4S And tow it with a Volvo 780 ( HDT) . And we have talked with Gregg at RV Haulers out of Calgary Alberta Canada. And we are thinking about having a smart car on the 780 for local getting around. From where we are set up as base camp.
Now my question? The federal total tow and Fifth Wheel is 65 feet. And I also know that each state has there own total length rules. And when speaking to Gregg at RVHaulers about the length. He said the legal length number is what should be followed. And then Gregg said the big BUT there are a great Number of folks the disregard the Rule's and drive Riggs That are larger then the rules allow . And it is up to the owner.
In other words you pay's your money and you take your chances. And looking at your Rig info you could be in the same boat. Have you ever had a problem for being over length ? And if you have not, is it a real problem for folks that fall into the area?
Any think You can send my way that will keep us out of trouble will be greatly appreciated. Can I sent you a overview of your ideas and plans . I will take any help you can send our way . that will keep us out of trouble I will thank you for ever.
Thanks again for the reply Bob
Old 05-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #12
Stripit

Sent you a private message

1991 Avanti Conv