Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Rodbuster

Brand new Member

My wife and I are from New Smyrna Beach ( about 8 miles south of Daytona Beach) Florida. We moved here about 11 years ago from southern New Hampshire.
Intentions were to buy a class A motorhome when the wife retires (about 4 months from now). Because if the economy and the real estate market for the past few years we face the reality of adjusting our goals. I'm not saying stepping down, I'm saying "adjusting". I don't want to offend anybody with my very first post.
We started to look at 5th wheels and were very impressed. I found this forum and thought that this would be a great place to obtain information and hopefully make new friends.
We have not given up on the motorhome but we are now seriously looking at 5th wheelers.

We went to a RV show a couple of weeks ago and looked at some products. The wife and I really liked the 40' 11" San Antonio by Landmark, but just like when we started looking at motorhomes, we don't know if the landmark is a good product or is it just like many units out there that are made to "look good" and then 1 year later you find out you have all kinds of problems.
Another big concern that I have is the vehicle that I need to tow a 15000 pound unit (about 12000 to 16000#). So far I have received all kinds of conflicting information on the size of the vehicle, type of engine, dually, etc. etc.
At the RV show we were asked.... how are you going to use the RV.
Our answer was, It will be just the 2 of us with a couple as guest every now and then. During the winter months we plan several one, two and three week trips in the south and the summer months we would like to tour the northwest for 2 or 3 months. We would love to go to Alaska with our RV and possibly the Canadian Rockies.
This will be our first RV but feel very sure that we will enjoy it.
We plan on spending "about" $100,000. to $125,000. (this would include the tow vehicle)

I welcome and thank you for any information that you can provide.

Rodbuster
Rodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote