Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #21
Haggis

Vents

I was on the roof checking the vents and tapped the top of the covers on all vents with the handle of a screw driver and only got a hollow sound from one of them. Took the covers off and three were stuffed with insultion.

I discussed the vents on the roof with the factory the last time I was there and was told there is only one vent and this services both black and gray tanks. The others with vents covers provide access and are stuffed with insulation until such times as when it will be needed for wiring such things as solar panels, satelite, etc.

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #22
BigBoy2U

Then what is the point is having a bathroom fan? And three pipes that fill with bees nests?

2005 DT, MS 36CK3 #1566, 95 F-350, Full Timer
BigBoy2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #23
RodeWorthy

Re: Vents and bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis/Ontario
I was on the roof checking the vents ...
Me too. All this discussion had me curious. I concur with your results. Of the 4 vents on the roof, only one was plumbed to the tanks. Two are blocked off at the insulation and the one at the front street side allows access to custom solar wiring.

I did take a look at the bathroom fan. Wish I hadn't. Thought I might be able to resolve the fan venting. I made the mistake of disconnecting the fan at the connector and the wired portion of the connector promptly disappeared into the housing. That was fun to remedy. As far as venting the fan to the outside vent it did not seem practical to me. The nearest vent is directly over the HVAC duct and not accesible. The volume of air that could get out the vent would not be large. The fan does move a lot of air and it is going into the "attic". Of more concern to me was the total lack of insulation next to the curved cap of the roof. This no doubt runs the full length of the trailer but I was only able to observe it in the area of the fan. I put the fan back together and moved on.

No bees in the vents but dozens of yellowjackets around my tow vehicle next to the trailer. They love the mirrors and are setting up camp in the door cracks. They had the beginnings of a nest attached in there. Anybody know how to discourage these little tigers? I have been beating on them and they have nailed me twice. The war is on.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:12 AM   #24
BigBoy2U

Think I am going to pull the power to the bathroom fan and seal it off. No reason to not just use the window. Last thing I want is mold.

I did glue fiberglass screen to the top of the other pipes after I cleaned out the bug infested insulation. Not sure I want three open holes into the attic area. I can see the snow building up around the vent, then melting or when you wash the roof water going down into the insulation and getting it wet.

I think it would be best seal the pipe and then to just cap them with an ABS cap.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #25
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeWorthy
I did take a look at the bathroom fan. Wish I hadn't. Thought I might be able to resolve the fan venting.

I just took some insulation from the fan to the vent away. The air should force it's way outside.

Of more concern to me was the total lack of insulation next to the curved cap of the roof.
I took my clearance out and noticed there was no insulation on the curved area of either the front or back. I think it vibrated down.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #26
Motor31

You might want to rethink sealing the roof vents. No matter how good the seal in the ceiling there will still be moisture from normal living action gathering in there. That would be a perfect place for mold to develop. The venting will at least allow some drying action instead of pooling of moisture.

The insulation used in these rigs WILL settle. Since they use loose fiberglass insulation it will settle in the walls and in the attic area. The older and more miles the rigs get the more the insulation will settle. In the case of the walls it will leave gaps in the walls with no insulation. Gravity will assert it's influence over time since the fiber glass is loose and there is nothing but a minimal amount of glue on one surface of it.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #27
BigBoy2U

Well DT sealed them with insulation. The insulation they stuffed into the bottom of each pipe was more than enough to stop air flow. But it does not prevent water going down, bees and other bugs looking for a nice warm place to live.

They were never installed as a means to ventilate the attic area. To correctly do it would require an open area above the insulation and a cross vent at the rear of the trailer. It still does not mean the air will flow. The cross members with insulation will prevent a cross flow.

You have to remember the construction of the unit. Its consists of: Vinyl Ceiling, Sound deedening foam, Luan, R-19, 1/2 plywood, felt, Roof Vinyl. There is NO moisture barrier.

So the introduction of cool air at night against a warm ceiling can create dew. Simply put this roof was designed to NOT be vented. So long as it remains dry it won't ever need to be vented.

Here is a link to everything you wanted to know about flat roof venting and it also states that in many cases venting vs. non-venting had no significant difference when the roof started out dry. Only did if have an effect if the roof was wet.

http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/pubs/cbd/cbd176_e.html
Old 08-15-2008, 05:21 AM   #28
RodeWorthy

There was no insulation stuffed into the ABS pipe in the "vents". There was glue on the bottom of the pipes and they were set on the existing insulation. I opened up a small hole in the insulation below the vent nearest the fan and some air can vent there but not the high volume at low pressure from the fan.

The insulation at the curvature of the roof did not slip down. It was just not there. This area is above the top cross member of the walls. Interesting that you, Bob, found the same condition near the clearance lights. If this condition exists around the entire trailer then there is a significant area with zero insulation.

I have flooded my roof with a garden hose and no indication of any leak around these covers. Even the front one where the dealer removed the ABS pipe. They are effective to keep water out. My rig has not seen signifcant snow and I intend to keep it that way.

Bees are another matter. Screen over the ABS insert should take care of that if the problem is severe.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #29
W5LEW

Send a message via Skype™ to W5LEW
Smell problem

I installed a new toilet a few months back and have a black tank smell now after flushing the toilet. I think I had the smell before I installed the new toilet, so I don't think the problem is the toilet. I installed a Siphon 360 Vent as someone in the group recommended earlier in the thread. (I'm wondering why the combination Black/Gray roof vent didn't have a waste smell up on the roof before I installed the new vent?) However, it has not helped very much (I had high hopes ), so I'm wondering what to do next? Go the solar fan vent route or ?
Thanks for your help.

Lew in Texas
2008 DRV 36TK3
W5LEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #30
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Do you back flush the black tank, using a system like Flush King or use the built in black tank sprayer? In all the years we lived in the trailer as full time travelers we never had what your experiancing as an issue. The new toilet isn't loose to the floor and not sealed correctly? I always used Calgon once the tank was cleaned and used plenty of water always. Made it easy to flush clean.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #31
W5LEW

Stacey, I have a built-in flush system in the black tank. I used it a few times at first and then it started some kind of leak around my garden hose in the water bay, so I stopped using it. Maybe the jets became clogged? I also use RV Digest It every week when I empty the black tank. It does a terrific job with its enzymes of breaking up the waste into liquid, but it recommends that you do not flush the tank each time so necessary bacteria will not be removed. We are stationary - not traveling at this time.
The toilet is not loose and it is tightly sealed to the black tank by a threaded extension. Maybe a thorough cleaning would help like you suggest.

Lew in Texas
2008 DRV 36TK3
Old 08-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #32
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Since you are stationary have you got up on the roof and run the garden hose dow through the air stsck vent to ensure no bird nests have been built? Or even leaves that might have fallen into that stack and blocked air escaping? You can run water down that pipe as it will go directly into the black tank and clear that line should anything be stuck in there. I used to own the Flush King and back flushed the grey and black tank at least every month or sooner depending on how much time I wanted to expend.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 08-31-2017, 09:07 AM   #33
W5LEW

Good idea

Nope, I had read that someone did it. However, that ought to be the next thing I do. Thanks.

Lew in Texas
2008 DRV 36TK3
Old 08-31-2017, 05:36 PM   #34
Stripit

I'm just trying to come up with what might be causing the problem. I found the start of a bird nest in my vent stack once. There was no cap on mine and things can get in there.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 09-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #35
W5LEW

Update on my problem: I hosed down my combo black/gray water roof vent today and now can smell the black tank - success! The best news: I think the Siphon 360 Vent is working now that the black tank vent is fully open. Almost no smell at all - excellent! Thanks to Stacey for the reminder to do it. I remember shining my powerful flashlight down the vent tube and it looked clear from what I could see, but apparently there was some obstruction further down. The powerful, rushing water stream opened it back up.
I now can recommend the Siphon 360 Vent as a possible cure for RV bathroom smell.

Many thanks to all,

Lew in Texas
2008 DRV 36TK3
Old 09-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #36
Stripit

Don't ya just love it when a suggestion actually works and you can say success!!
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 09-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #37
W5LEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripit View Post
Don't ya just love it when a suggestion actually works and you can say success!!
Yep I do. Thanks again, Stacey.