Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 01:22 AM   #1
CALinSC

Iron Mountain, MI

Crossing the Michigan Upper Peninsular on US-2 in the late spring/early summer time is an experience you will well remember. The campgrounds are family oriented with friendly, helpful staff members. The countryside is lush in fresh growth and wild animals are everywhere.

On this trip from east to west we were just meandering from campground to campground only calling ahead each traveling day to ask for a place to stay. Some travel days were a little longer than others but we always ended-up finding a place to park for a day or two before moving on again, and that’s how we found the Summer Breeze CG.

Our site was a FHU on a large grassy site. The section we parked in was a haphazard arrangement but easy to use once we found it. We were there on midweek days so it was quiet and restful. We were making so many stops during our travel days we were only averaging about 200 miles a day. By the time we got to Salt Lake City and turned south it was almost late fall and we even ran into some sleet in Rawlings, WY.

12 MI - Iron Mountian - Summer Breeze CG - 1 (001).jpg 12a MI - Iron Mountian - Summer Breeze CG - 1 (1).JPG

12b MI - Iron Mountian - Summer Breeze CG - 1 (5).JPG 12c MI - Iron Mountian - Summer Breeze CG - 1 (3).JPG
Old 01-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
GeoTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALinSC View Post
Crossing the Michigan Upper Peninsular on US-2 in the late spring/early summer time is an experience you will well remember. The campgrounds are family oriented with friendly, helpful staff members. The countryside is lush in fresh growth and wild animals are everywhere.

On this trip from east to west we were just meandering from campground to campground only calling ahead each traveling day to ask for a place to stay. Some travel days were a little longer than others but we always ended-up finding a place to park for a day or two before moving on again, and that’s how we found the Summer Breeze CG.

Our site was a FHU on a large grassy site. The section we parked in was a haphazard arrangement but easy to use once we found it. We were there on midweek days so it was quiet and restful. We were making so many stops during our travel days we were only averaging about 200 miles a day. By the time we got to Salt Lake City and turned south it was almost late fall and we even ran into some sleet in Rawlings, WY.

Attachment 1531 Attachment 1532

Attachment 1533 Attachment 1534
Good morning Cal, and thanks for continuing the posts of your life on the road! Being from Michigan, & having travelled/camped since my youngest days (68 is knocking on my door) in Michigan, we still take at least 3-4 weeks a year to camp our own state! I just checked out the Summers Breeze RV park & will give it a try this summer! Hope all is well with you folks, & pray this craziness will end soon!
GeoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
CALinSC

Berwick, ME

Being born and raised in rural Maine I take a much different tack when visiting there with a RV.

Being close to costal main as a youngster I got quite familiar with all of the costal tourist attractions from Kittery to Old Orchard Beach. So I never hunt for RV parking places near the coast. Mainers love to weekend camp. They pack-up, load the kids and head for their favorite family CG. Those are the places I like to park when up there in the spring and summer.

Beaver Dam CG is a typical Maine CG. It is family owned and operated and someone in the family usually lives there. Over the years it has evolved into a modern CG with FHUs available. And it’s about a stone’s throw to the North Berwick town line, my home town. The CG is about 10 miles from US-1 (the costal tourist highway) where there are many attractions to keep the tourist busy. Sanford ME is about 12 miles north and it has all the normal shopping stores and grocery stores. There are two bowling alleys there - candle pins – that most tourists enjoy.

Because we prefer a FHU site with 50 AMPs we park up on the knoll where those larger sites are located. The waterfront sites are W&E only.

The following link is active.

https://beaverdamcampground.com/

13 Beaver Dam Campground Berwick, ME (2).jpg 13a Beaver Dam Campground Berwick, ME.JPG

13b Beaver Dam Campground Berwick, ME (4).jpg
Old 02-09-2021, 03:55 PM   #4
CALinSC

South Hero, VT

After exploring up state NY we crossed the bridge into VT at Rouses Point NY. We then linked-up with US-2 going south, to travel down a chain of islands at the upper end of Lake Champlain. After having lunch at North Hero we decided to splurge and see if we could get a parking site at the Apple Island RV Resort. It’s a wonderful resort complex with just about everything you might want to do. Boating, Fishing and Golfing are all available at the resort.

We got a nice grassy FHU site overlooking a seasonal section of the resort. It was very close to the wonderfully manicured 9 hole golf course.

There are antique shops at just about all of the US-2 crossroads on the island. The University of VT is at Burlington. The down town “Battery Park” at Burlington overlooks the Lake and has numerous places to get a lunch and enjoy it on the clean park tables.

The link is active.
https://appleislandresort.com/

14a Apple Island RV Resort - South Hero, VT - 5.jpg 14b Apple Island RV Resort - South Hero, VT - 4.jpg

14c Apple Island RV Resort - South Hero, VT - 1.jpg 14d Apple Island RV Resort - South Hero, VT - 2.jpg

14e Apple Island RV Resort - South Hero, VT - c.jpg
Old 02-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
CALinSC

Fredericksburg, VA – KOA

We got snubbed pretty badly at this KOA. We were headed south for some of the winter months and had left I-81 at Winchester, VA to take US-17 down to I-95 and ultimately connect to I-85. We were going to spend a couple of weeks at Greenville, SC. This was not a normal route for us but we wanted to explore US-17 – a nice drive on a well maintained US highway.

When we got to Fredericksburg we opted to drive down a 7 mile county road to the KOA. We did not call as it was a Wednesday and almost all KOAs have sites during week days. Right away the manager didn’t want to give us a site because they had a large caravan arriving on Friday. We never did figure-out why they didn’t want us there. But, we had an advantage, our KOA card was golden and once they found that out they put us in a back-in spot down in the “south forty”, even though they had nice long pull-thrus close to the CG store.

The CG is old and the sites were quite antiquated but had FHUs with CATV. While exploring a smallish lake to see if I could do some evening fishing I found there was a large family of beaver there. The management was having a hard time getting the fish and game people to move them.

This KOA is an exception from the norm in that it’s not close to any major highway. However, the CG store was well stocked and some of the CG areas were modern with a nice sized swimming pool.

This link is active but a little deceiving.

https://koa.com/campgrounds/frederic...washington-dc/

15 KOA - Fredericksburg, VA (1).jpg 15a KOA - Fredericksburg, VA (4).JPG

15b KOA - Fredericksburg, VA (2).jpg 15c KOA - Fredericksburg, VA (3).JPG
Old 02-23-2021, 11:57 PM   #6
CALinSC

Jacksonville, FL

Because we are a retired military family we have the advantage of using military RV Parks and CGs.

This is not about a military RV Park, the user base here is for veterans. To qualify you need proof of at least 6 months active duty with honorable service. A DD214 will almost always qualify a veteran to join any American Legion post. You can get a membership card (about $20) at any active post. It will allow you the use of all other posts nationwide.

The American Legion Post 137 at Jacksonville, FL has a large membership base. The main post building is quite large. There is an Olympic size pool with an active tiki bar – in season. The post has an active rod & gun club, bass fishing club and motorcycle club. The property is quite large and there is a gated, paved double boat launching area with floating docks. That’s where there are 8 large RV parking sites. Six are FHU and the other two are at the boat launching area and have W&E only. We lived in Jacksonville for 23 years and all of our grand children and their children live there, so we always visit when on the east coast.

The main club has a large meeting area, pool tables, dart machines, shuffle boards, live entertainment on Friday & Saturday nights. There are steak dinners on Friday evenings and a walk-in brunch on Sundays.

Reservations are accepted. We like site #6 because of its great view of the boat launch and the Cedar River.

Here are a few pictures.

16 AL Post 137 - JAX, FL.jpg 16b Post 137 - JAX, FL (1).jpg

16d American Leigon Post 137 (3).jpg 16e ALP-137 (2).jpg

16f ALP-137 (3).jpg
Old 03-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #7
CALinSC

Walterboro, SC

Are you a frequent I-95 Traveler? The New Green Acres RV Park at Walterboro, SC, exit #53 may interest you. Their sites are mostly long pull-thru sites with 50 AMP FHU and CATV. The park is very easy to enter and depart. On both sides of the exit road there are large big rig friendly service stations. It’s a very easy overnighter or short term retreat park with a traveler’s atmosphere.

The link below is active.

http://www.newgreenacres.com/

17 New Green Acres - Walterboro, SC (2).jpg 17a New Green Acres - Walterboro, SC (4).jpg

17b New Green Acres - Walterboro, SC (1).jpg 17c New Green Acres - Walterboro, SC (3).jpg