Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 06:34 AM   #21
ElectricBill66

Reply to A/C amperage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse68 View Post
Hi guys,

Just noticed my Dometic Penguin 2 unit in the living/kitchen area (zone 1) is drawing too many amp when the compressor kicks on. The fan motor starts up first, and draws 1.5 - 2 amps, then the compressor kicks on. When the compressor starts up, it draws about 24 amps initially for a half a second to a second, then settles back down to 14 amps the rest of the time it runs. Thoughts? Things to check?

David
The amperage that you have measured appears to be normal. The initial start-up current is normal. The amperage for a 13,000 or a 15,000 BTU air conditioner on max cool is normally 16.1 amps. Slightly less on low cool but not by very much since all that is happening is the blower fan is at a reduced speed. Compressor still pulls same amount of current wether its on hi or low cool. If anything, your A/C is pulling less amperage. I don't know the specifics about your model but a low freon charge could cause a lower than normal current situation.
If its cooling fine, I'd say theres no problem with it. The air conditioner is on a dedicated 20 amp breaker for the reason it can draw up to 16.1 amps.
Hope this helps.

ElectricBill66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #22
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse68 View Post
Hi guys,

Just noticed my Dometic Penguin 2 unit in the living/kitchen area (zone 1) is drawing too many amp when the compressor kicks on. The fan motor starts up first, and draws 1.5 - 2 amps, then the compressor kicks on. When the compressor starts up, it draws about 24 amps initially for a half a second to a second, then settles back down to 14 amps the rest of the time it runs. Thoughts? Things to check?

David
Google "locked-rotor amperage"

2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #23
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyOldGuy View Post
Ok guys, since we’re on the subject I have a problem with one of my units. It’s complicated so pour another cup and bear with me while I lay it out. My 2019 39DBRS3 has two dometic A/C’s. (No heat pumps). Wish I had gotten three but that’s another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyOldGuy View Post
Oh, and I have never, nor will I ever climb my old fat a** up on my roof so visually checking it is out of the question.
I didn't see if you mentioned whether this problem is on 50 or 30 amp service.

Have you been in any areas where the debris from trees will clog a coil?
I've never been, so don't know what trees they are, but I've seen pictures of AC coils that look like they are covered in raw cotton.

We also have a 2019 39DBRS3, with the 3 AC's, and I'm glad we do.

If we are on 30 amp the load management system will dump the 2nd AC compressor if anything comes on while running. If the extra load ends soon enough the compressor delay (2.5 minutes I think) will bring up the hour glass symbol.
This is with 2 AC's running. If I try and run 3 the load management will dump the first 2 anyway.

If you can do the add on, the third AC is a real benefit in the heat.

On 'good' 50 amp service in 95+ temps we can keep the inside around 72.
On 30 amp though we are lucky to keep it around 80 with only 2 AC's and one kicking out as loads vary.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #24
OneReallyOldGuy

Hey Duane, I’m on 50 amp with 125v on both legs, no faults. Hope I can find someone who really knows their stuff. Is it the A/C which blows cold when it runs, or the thermostat, or the load management system?
The electrical system on this thing is going whaco. Along with the A/C problem the LED lights are failing left and right, the sea level gauges on the black and gray tanks work sometimes and sometimes they show “OPN” (open circuit), and this morning the microwave quit. Display turned off and it’s dead. Got power to the plug.
I’m pretty sure this coach was wired starting on a Friday and finished on a Monday.
Ok, rant over.
Thanks,
Phil

OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote