Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
nate

New, looking for 5th wheel

Hey all, newbie from New Mexico.

So, we are looking for our first RV, likely a 5th wheel. This will be our first RV of any kind. We are on our way to being debt free so something with a loan attached is moving in the wrong direction. I am also concerned that we won't use it as much as we think, I really don't want a note on something deprecating in my side yard (we have a side RV parking spot with gate). Max length I can fit is 28'.

I am looking at an older 5th wheel (early/middle 2000s) to fit in my $10K budget. Tips on buying older used 5th wheels/RV? We have two pre-teen kids so a bunkhouse is desirable. Any thoughts on brands to avoid, what to look for, etc?

I am currently looking at a 2004 Keystone RV SPRINDALE 249BHL for 11K (which seems high).

Many thanks,
nate

FYI, I drive a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD with the 6L gas. It has tow package (i.e. aux oil and trans cooler), bedrails for 5thwheel hitch, and controller already.

nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.
Not sure I can help with much more than to say--check for NuWa HitchHiker or Excel models that fit your size. These were well built, but heavy.
Be sure and check your towing capacities on your truck, and I seem to remember that early GM pickups generally had transmission problems when worked hard and hot.
Good luck in your search. You won't find the perfect one on the first go-round--look hard for stains in the ceiling/soft spots in floors and walls. Water damage is probably the #1 problem in older RVs.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:11 AM   #3
nate

Great, thanks for the details. The manual says just over 10K towing, I plan on keeping it well under that.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:55 AM   #4
Notanlines

Nate, you're heading the exact way most newbies go with the BS tow capacity listed. That isn't the most important, even close to most important. He was directing you to look into the 'cargo capacity' of your truck. There will be cargo, hitches, four or more passengers, suitcases, tools, etc, etc, etc in your 20 year old truck. Then you will add the pin weight of the RV. Generally use 20% of the gross weight of the RV. Do NOT believe the RV salesman, and sure as hell don't believe the statistics published by the truck manufacturer.
Fill your truck with wife, kids, and a few things you think you might bring on a typical trip. Drive to your friendly CAT scale and weigh the front (steer) and rear (drive) axles. Any large truck stop has the scales for about $11.00. Look on the sticker on the driver door pillar for the GVW of YOUR particular truck and subtract what your truck weighs. What's left is the weight you have t play with. Nope, don't hand us any happy BS about air bags and extra springs and big tires and blah, blah, bah. That won't fly.
Then get back to us and we'll go from there. Kudo's to you for wanting to be debt-free. A noble thought for sure! And, by the way, the RV you're looking at has similar models that just sold for 6K and 8K.
Jim
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Nate, you're heading the exact way most newbies go with the BS tow capacity listed. That isn't the most important, even close to most important. He was directing you to look into the 'cargo capacity' of your truck. There will be cargo, hitches, four or more passengers, suitcases, tools, etc, etc, etc in your 20 year old truck. Then you will add the pin weight of the RV. Generally use 20% of the gross weight of the RV. Do NOT believe the RV salesman, and sure as hell don't believe the statistics published by the truck manufacturer.
Fill your truck with wife, kids, and a few things you think you might bring on a typical trip. Drive to your friendly CAT scale and weigh the front (steer) and rear (drive) axles. Any large truck stop has the scales for about $11.00. Look on the sticker on the driver door pillar for the GVW of YOUR particular truck and subtract what your truck weighs. What's left is the weight you have t play with. Nope, don't hand us any happy BS about air bags and extra springs and big tires and blah, blah, bah. That won't fly.
Then get back to us and we'll go from there. Kudo's to you for wanting to be debt-free. A noble thought for sure! And, by the way, the RV you're looking at has similar models that just sold for 6K and 8K.
Jim
Hey, she is an old girl but still has lots of pep in her step! The truck, that is

I know that there has been a lot of towing inflation, it's pretty ridiculous with the current models. My truck has 10200# towing and 3598# payload capacity per the manual. The 5th wheels are are looking at are about 5.5K-6.5K GVWR and 880LB to 1K tongue weight. With 500# of people, 15# of dog, and lots of stuff that still leaves me at only using ~50% carrying and 55%-65% of towing capacity. I think that's a reasonable margin for safety and an older truck. Who knows, if we like this RVing thing then a newer truck (I had a 2007 Megacab that I sold when diesel was $4 a gallon) is a distinct possibility. I sure do miss that truck.

Thanks for the caution, I appreciate it.

nate
Old 05-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
Notanlines

I believe you'll be okay, but still give the CAT scale a crank and see what you get.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:11 PM   #7
Primo Rudy's Roadhouse

A few years ago I was looking for similar trailer with similar truck. Found a weekend warrior toy hauler. 29 feet long gross at of 10.8K. Ot was too much for my gas motor and upgraded to diesel and could not be happier. Still debt free. Look close for water and rodent damage. You notice I did not say anything about truck brands.
Primo Rudy's Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
Primo Rudy's Roadhouse

A few years ago I was looking for similar trailer with similar truck. Found a weekend warrior toy hauler. 29 feet long gross at of 10.8K. Ot was too much for my gas motor and upgraded to diesel and could not be happier. Still debt free. Look close for water and rodent damage. You notice I did not say anything about truck brands. Not the time or place
Primo Rudy's Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #9
03Roadking

To tag on to what NOTANLINES said keep in mind the numbers on the 5th wheel data plate is dry. It doesn't account for water, propane or any other "stuff" you put in it. That plus manufacturers tow ratings or done with cargo trailers that aren't like the barn door you will be pulling, wind resistance adds a lot that can't be calculated in tow capacity. Older 5th wheels don't have the aerodynamic front caps you find today. Just a little more food for thought. Safety first and foremost. Best of luck.
03Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #10
MTK46

Welcome & good luck. Finding a nice 5th wheel under 10k GVWR for $10K will be a challenge. Like Joe said water damage is the first thing to look for.
Also get one with a slide as it will be more usable than a no slide RV.

2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5556
2017 F-350 CC 6.7 diesel dually, Banks Derringer tuner with super gauge
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying used, newbie