Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
friz

Daily Power Consumption

Trying to get a handle on how much power my guests are using daily. I am a member of an RV club where the model is basically you stay at my place, I stay at yours, for free. In 2 seasons of hosting I have never asked a guest to pay for the elec or water they use. I am seeing a growing number of hosts tacking on a $10 elec charge per day. Potentially one could collect $300/month. I find that unsettling and contrary to the spirit of the club.
So here is the scenario. North Central Florida, October thru April. I state 15 amp service but it is on a shared 30 amp breaker. AC rarely needed. Maybe in April. So, appliances run look like reefer, microwave, TV, toaster and whatever. Has anyone measured the daily power used in this scenario? Elec costs me $0.12/kilowatt. I find it difficult that one would use 83 kilowatts/day to use up $10 worth of elec. My 2000 sq ft home uses about 41 kilowatts/day.

Thanks, Friz

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #2
Notanlines

Keep in mind that most will be using an electric heater . We are in south Florida and you cant make January and February without a little heat at night on occasion

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #3
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Keep in mind that most will be using an electric heater . We are in south Florida and you cant make January and February without a little heat at night on occasion
Good point but I am looking for a number. I read an article lately on RV Travel about you folks who use electric space heaters at campgrounds. A growing, costly problem from the campground's point of view. I do not use an electrical space heater nor has it been mentioned by any of the 50 or so guests I have had stay here. The furnace works fine, for me, here in Florida.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
pterrydactyl

I know you want a number but wouldn’t it be better to get your own number. An electric meter on Amazon is $92 but it’s your choic as to whether is the way to go. Hope you get it figured out.
Electric Meter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMZRXE8..._wI-BEb0GF0Q1V
pterrydactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #5
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterrydactyl View Post
I know you want a number but wouldn’t it be better to get your own number. An electric meter on Amazon is $92 but it’s your choic as to whether is the way to go. Hope you get it figured out.
Electric Meter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMZRXE8..._wI-BEb0GF0Q1V
Thanks for the advice but the issue is not worth $92 to me. Anyhow, Notanlines resolved the issue by proving me wit 5 days on data from his rig. 38' 5th wheel running one AC 24 hrs/day plus whatever other electrical one uses in a rig that size. Numbers averaged 20 KW/day. That is $2.20/day at what Clay Electric charges me for electricity. Maybe I am cynical but I smell people gaming the system.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:21 AM   #6
steve_darlene

About 3 years ago the campground I have a seasonal site on put in meters at each site. They still pay the total bill, but each site pays for their own electricity. He posts the rate from the supplier, he doesn't make any money on this arrangement. The total bill for the campground dropped by 1/3. and he didn't raise the seasonal rate for 3 years.
steve_darlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_darlene View Post
About 3 years ago the campground I have a seasonal site on put in meters at each site. They still pay the total bill, but each site pays for their own electricity. He posts the rate from the supplier, he doesn't make any money on this arrangement. The total bill for the campground dropped by 1/3. and he didn't raise the seasonal rate for 3 years.
That is a reasonable approach but none the less that campground has passed on an operating expense to the consumer. A comparable reduction in rates would have been equitable but they also "want ice water in hell". With rigs getting more and more power hungry and people content to take advantage of the "free elec" benefit I would be guess we see more and more of this in future.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
dmorse68

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Trying to get a handle on how much power my guests are using daily. I am a member of an RV club where the model is basically you stay at my place, I stay at yours, for free. In 2 seasons of hosting I have never asked a guest to pay for the elec or water they use. I am seeing a growing number of hosts tacking on a $10 elec charge per day. Potentially one could collect $300/month. I find that unsettling and contrary to the spirit of the club.
So here is the scenario. North Central Florida, October thru April. I state 15 amp service but it is on a shared 30 amp breaker. AC rarely needed. Maybe in April. So, appliances run look like reefer, microwave, TV, toaster and whatever. Has anyone measured the daily power used in this scenario? Elec costs me $0.12/kilowatt. I find it difficult that one would use 83 kilowatts/day to use up $10 worth of elec. My 2000 sq ft home uses about 41 kilowatts/day.

Thanks, Friz
I've been full-timing in Palm Desert, CA for a month now, It's been over 100 F every day since I've been here, with some days in the 110 - 114 F range. With my two, 15,000 BTU A/C units running nearly constantly all day, and other appliances like the elec H2O heater, TV, LED lights, being used, my daily consumption has been anywhere from 47 - 60 kWh in a 24 hr period. Hope this helps.

-David

dmorse68 is offline   Reply With Quote