Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
morscuba

Looking For a leak,,,find out your spare tire is gone.

Had Stanley Steamer come in to clean the carpets and discovered that I have had a leak in the "off door" rear of the trailer. The carpet was wet and the molding along the floor was so wet it was crumbling to the touch.
Spent the next day re-sealing around the window and the electric outlet box,,,etc etc...Called DRV and they told me to check the seal between the slide out and the wall.
Got down and there it was about an inch gap in the seal,,,so everytime I've been driving in the rain (or snow) the water has been going right in just like I invited it.. Well while crawling around underneath the trailer.. LoNBehold no spare..I know it didn't fall off because there was no damage to the undercarriage (not a mark) and I'm pretty sure the front end of the SmartCar would have been damaged. And on top of that the cable was rolled up almost to the top. I had to leave the MS several times the last couple of months for a week or so at a time. So my guess is somebody got a brand new 17.7 wheel and tire. I got a quote from DRV for $745.00 delivered to me so will be doing a bit more checking.. I'll also be filing a comp claim..(about time I got some of the premium back).
Check the spare folks..That would have been kinda bad if I had a flat in some of the places I go..
Old 06-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
missourijan

Sorry to hear that you "lost" your spare. We "lost" our electrical cord once when we had our Avion in for service. A pain to replace.
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
BobW

Seams to me it would be had to steel the spare without the correct wrench. It's hard enough to get it off with the correct tool. Was the wheel ever there in the first place? Why would a thief need to take one tire and wheel? This is not a common wheel. Sounds fishy to me.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
sje

spare tire

its not that hard to take the spare. Mine takes a 7/8 socket and ratchet and it comes right down. the correct tool was missing so i just laid under it and found the right size. it was a good thing i tried it ahead of time because about 6 weeks later one of those chines bombs let go. anybody that had chinese tires probably could use more than one spare. sje p.s. i'm not implying that i'm out there taking spares.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
morscuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW
Seams to me it would be had to steel the spare without the correct wrench. It's hard enough to get it off with the correct tool. Was the wheel ever there in the first place? Why would a thief need to take one tire and wheel? This is not a common wheel. Sounds fishy to me.
SEEMS,,,, I should have mentioned the MS was left a couple of times for a week or so while at Dr's. in a different city.
Yes Bob,,, the tire was there. I lowered it to check the tire pressure.
No Bob,,, its not hard to lower the tire (unless your a moron) I have a four way lug wrench that fits just fine I don't need the wrench that DRV supplied.
Why would someone STEAL the spare???,,,, probably had a blow out and didn't want to pay for a new tire. I have seen several wheels like ours on different 5er's or do you think the wheels are made just for DRV????.
So maybe take your fishy and figure it out.
Regards
Old 06-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by morscuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW
SEEMS,,,, I should have mentioned the MS was left a couple of times for a week or so while at Dr's. in a different city.
Yes Bob,,, the tire was there. I lowered it to check the tire pressure.
No Bob,,, its not hard to lower the tire (unless your a moron) I have a four way lug wrench that fits just fine I don't need the wrench that DRV supplied.
Why would someone STEAL the spare???,,,, probably had a blow out and didn't want to pay for a new tire. I have seen several wheels like ours on different 5er's or do you think the wheels are made just for DRV????.
So maybe take your fishy and figure it out.
Regards
On mine the hole DRV cut does not line up with the lug, that's why I mentioned it. Also I didn't mean to pull your chain. Relax.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
RonS

The hole for my spare lug nut also does not line up. But if you mess with a socket and extension I can get the spare down. When I first checked the spare it was a 16 inch tire, but I have the 17.5 called DRV and they had one ready for me when I went in for warranty work. My GUESS is that morscuba never add a spare in the first place.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
morscuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
The hole for my spare lug nut also does not line up. But if you mess with a socket and extension I can get the spare down. When I first checked the spare it was a 16 inch tire, but I have the 17.5 called DRV and they had one ready for me when I went in for warranty work. My GUESS is that morscuba never add a spare in the first place.
Ron,,, As I posted in my answer to Bob,,, The Spare was there it was a brand spankin new 17.5 tire with alum. wheel. I know that because I lowered it three weeks ago to check the pressure. I then raised it tight..
I posted this to warn folks that there are people out there that will steal anything they can get there hands on.. I also didn't want anyone to go on their way down the road have a flat with no spare..I'm GUESSING that 16 inch tire you didn't know you have wouldn't have done you much good..
I didn't post this so folks would assume that I'm an Insurance cheat or an idiot. So I GUESS your Guess is wrong.
Regards
Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

spares

I replaced the 4 on-the-ground 16" with 17.5s--but did not do the spare. I figure I can limp in on the 16 if I need to.
Joe
And it is there, and it is pressured correctly.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
jas24

spare

While everyone is talking about their spare tires, thought I would add
to not take your spare tire down & wind the cable back up without the tire on it......
I did this and the cable would not unwind. Had to buy a new one from DRV. They said the manufacturer on the original equipment one was no longer in business.
The new one is made alot better, but the original should have been also.

06 F-350 Lariat 4x4 V-10 CC SRW LB
06 Mobile Suites 36CK3
jas24 is offline   Reply With Quote