Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2022, 11:32 PM   #1
NBelle

Dutchmen Yukon 400RL vs grand design SOLITUDE 345GK-R

Hi everyone!
I’m finally taking the leap to get into full time RV living. I’ve done a lot of searching an have pretty much narrowed my choices down to th Yukon and the Solitude. I know there isn’t much information out there on the Yukon and their quality. I wa ordering if anyon has any advice on either model or company? I know Dutchmen is owned by keystone but there’s not much out there. Any advice, reviews or information oils be greatly appreciated!

NBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:52 AM   #2
DutchmenSport

Now that I am retired, I'm spending more time reading different RV - Camping forums. It seems, especially since Covid, EVERY make and model and brand of camper and RV is facing some really shoddy manufacturing builds.

If you are looking for quality, I think with what's going on today with every RV manufacturer, all you can do is point the gun in the barrel, shoot, and hope you hit a fish! Because more than likely, you'll miss. Actually, you will. There's no fish in the barrel.

Pick the floor plan that fits your need, then go inspect, hands-on, every fiber in the camper. And then there is still no guarantee it will be solid at time of purchase. More times than not, things fall apart and break when the camper is in actual use. You'll never see those issues during a PDI.

On every forum I've participated in, I have always given the sage advise, if you are planning on full timing, purchase your camper at least a year before your target date and then use it a lot during that first year.

Not only will you be making personalized modification over that first year, it doesn't matter what brand it is, you're going to have warranty issues to flush out, and you'll have things happen that need to be flushed out you'll fix yourself. It takes a year to flush it all out. You don't want these types of things happening to you when you are on the road and the camper is your only home. Test it thoroughly for the first year of ownership in all 4 seasons of the year and learn it's dependability, strengths, and weaknesses. Then when you hit the road full time, you are truly prepared and the camper is now sound and solid.

Sorry, I cannot give you any advise on either brand. Just assume both brands are absolute trash, and make the RV prove itself to you it's not.

Tags
dutchmen, grand design, review, solitude, yukon