Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #1
haulin'Dquads

Hard turns drag my back wheels

Hey there, I could use some help...
I bought a brand new 2015 31' River Forest Stealth 5th wheel toy hauler. I pull it with a Ram cummins 2500 diesel 4door long bed. They told me it was supposed to have a 88 degree turning radius. It definitely turns great but on sharp turns - even when I turn at local cross streets - the back two of the four tires have a severe tilt to them. At very sharp turns I feel that i could snap my rims. Am I being an overly concerned newby or is this something I should have checked out? Thanx for any advice or input.

haulin'Dquads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
bacardiron

If it helps I too was unnerved by the way the back set of tires and rims behaved when turning at slow speeds. We have a 32' drv and it does the same thing, I think it is the nature of the beast. To date the tires have not popped off the rims, I just got used to it.

bacardiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Slow Six

The tires have to slide when turning because they do not steer. Things really get out of shape when turning and travelling slow such as backing into a site. I try to avoid sharp turns for this reason but it cannot always be avoided. Just don't look!.The scrubbing action is way worse on tri-axle set ups. I have had trailers for about 40 years or more and nothing has ever broke from turning other than some tire wear. Keep tires at proper inflation and check springs and hangers etc. on a regular basis as RV suspensions are not over built. Happy travels.
Slow Six is offline   Reply With Quote