Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2007, 03:22 AM   #1
Hobo

Dometic Refrigerator Recall

It is almost April and Dometic is suppose to have their fix for the recall about ready. Has anyone been notified by DT yet that there has been a very serious recall on our refrigerators?

Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Hobo

From all the looker and no replies I take it DT has done their usual and not notifying their customers of problems they have. I know Just what some one will say, it is a supplier part not DTs. But according to the recall notice the RV manufacturer is suppose to notify the end use.
How many of you out there know that almost every one if not 100% of the units DT has produced is has a refrigerator that is being recalled because of the fire hazard??

Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Old 03-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
rverdlm

Rick, what you say is not true. From what I've read on the recall it's only certain models of some years. Mine for example is not included in the recall. In my experience this type recall (I was invovled in a recall from Norcold) is handled by the RV media. I.E. Trailer Life, Escapees Mag, Hiways, etc. Tracking down owners via DT is very difficult because they sell to dealers who then sell to customers who after 3 years sell to other customers etc. When we buy our units there are warrenty cards for all the items in our trailer that if sent to the product manufacturers will allow them to notify us of future recalls. It would be nice if our trailers could be handled like cars, but they are very different in that the assembler (that's what RV manufacturer are) can't control the various product manufacturers. Even with cars the system is not perfect. Remember the Firestone tire issue. Nobody knew who had what tires. The problem needed to be handled by the media.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:34 AM   #4
Hobo

RVerdlm
you right, The builds were from 1097 to 2003 so it depends on how old the stock was they uses. I know my 04 is part of the recall.
As for the notification well here is what is stated.

Remedy:
THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES THAT HAD THE REFRIGERATORS INSTALLED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND DOMETIC WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF THE AFTERMARKET REFRIGERATORS. DOMETIC HAS NOT YET PROVIDED THE AGENCY WITH A NOTIFICATION AND REMEDY SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 888-446-5157.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Old 04-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
RustyJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverdlm
Tracking down owners via DT is very difficult because they sell to dealers who then sell to customers who after 3 years sell to other customers etc.
DT has my name and address from the paperwork I filled out at delivery. I've received no notification from anyone.

Rusty
2004 DoubleTree Mobile Suites 36RE3 #1291
2002 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins HO/6-speed
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
westx

I have received two (2) notices from Dometic. It might be because I went online to report my unit. The parts will not be available untill April 16, but I have seen the fix.
Fulltimers since Sept. 06
westx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
Gunship Guy

Since the manufacturing of the faulty fridges ended in 03 it's probably safe to say that a majority of MS trailers won't be involved in the recall.
Gunship Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
RodeWorthy

westx,
Can you elaborate on the 'fix' that has been reported to you by Dometic? There is information circulating that the 'patch' is not a fix at all but a cover or plate that will either help prevent leaking flammable material from reaching the boiler tube or contain the fire should it occur. I hope I am not fanning the flames, so to speak, with misinformation. If you have specifics on the recall plan it would be good for all affected to know what they are.

Rodeworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by westx
I have received two (2) notices from Dometic. It might be because I went online to report my unit. The parts will not be available untill April 16, but I have seen the fix.
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
westx

It appears to be several pieces of tin that has to be bent and formed to go around some of the components in the back of the refrigerator. I do not think there is any replacement parts. I will check with the rv tech (Kerrville, Tx) on Monday and see exactly what the fix is.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
westx

The kit conatins 6 pieces of tin that has to be formed to go around the heat exchange and also a high temperature limit switch that attaches to the heat exchange to cut power if temp gets to high. I think all the kit will do is contain the fire if one occurs. JMHO
Old 04-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
RodeWorthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by westx
I think all the kit will do is contain the fire if one occurs. JMHO
Scary isn't it? I think Dometic has a big problem on their hands with almost a million units affected. I do believe I would be replacing the entire refer if I had one. Then again I am extra aware since I have close friends whose trailer burned to the ground with all their belongings. Very traumatic but fortunate they escaped uninjured.

Rodeworthy

RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote