Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
Begger

Looking at newer models

39DBRS3 really caught our eye looking at trailers this weekend. Love that front bath. Any feedback on this particular model? Rumor has it that although DRV is known for heavy trailers, this model is particularly heavy,especially pin weight.

Also really liked the Landmark 365 Phoenix with the aft storage tray. (Wish DRV offered that floor plan.)

All feedback on these models would be appreciated.

2007 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3520
"Waitin' for someday..."
Begger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
Cummins12V98

Any two axle DRV will have a heavy pin. My 07.5 had 25% at 4,500# and current 16 39TKSB3 has 25% at 5,750#.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
Suite Sweets

Begger, You have a DRV and have experienced the quality. You may not be happy stepping down, just to accomplish a floor plan. Weight doesn't have to be a function of quality of materials, but I believe it is frequently.
Suite Sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
MTK46

A new 42' Landmark 5th wheel that weights as much as my used DRV 36'. Maybe because DRV is a wide body & Landmark isn't. Even my 03 Teton was a wide body. Something to think about. Guess I agree with Suite Sweets.
2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5556
2017 F-350 CC 6.7 diesel dually, Banks Derringer tuner with super gauge
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begger View Post
39DBRS3 really caught our eye looking at trailers this weekend. Love that front bath. Any feedback on this particular model? Rumor has it that although DRV is known for heavy trailers, this model is particularly heavy,especially pin weight.

Also really liked the Landmark 365 Phoenix with the aft storage tray. (Wish DRV offered that floor plan.)

All feedback on these models would be appreciated.
I have s 2019 DBRS3

What do you want to know ?

This trailer is heavy, out the factory door with my options it was 19,100 pounds. And only 4000 pounds pin wright.

I feel it is about 1000 pounds light on the pin for what I was expecting (I have the big inverter, extra batteries diesel generator and fuel tank that should have bumped the weight up).

I also believe DRV has designed this trailer with the axles moved forward a bit to make for a light pin.

I’m very familiar with Landmarks, completely different trailer from the frame up.

I think DRV has a floor plan similar to the Phoenix, check the rolling retreats Facebook page, they have pictures.
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:41 PM   #6
Cummins12V98

"I have s 2019 DBRS3"

Tripple axle?

Old 03-19-2019, 02:09 AM   #7
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"I have s 2019 DBRS3"

Tripple axle?
39DBRS3 is 2 axle
Houston is similar layout, several feet longer, 3 axle
Old 03-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
39DBRS3 is 2 axle
Houston is similar layout, several feet longer, 3 axle
What are your actual weights now?

Old 03-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #9
porthole

Quote:
What are your actual weights now?
Haven’t weighed it since last year, and since then the biggest change was adding 9 - 200 watt solar panels.

Last weight
Axles 17,400
Pin 4020

Total 21,420
420 over
Old 03-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #10
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Haven’t weighed it since last year, and since then the biggest change was adding 9 - 200 watt solar panels.

Last weight
Axles 17,400
Pin 4020

Total 21,420
420 over
NOT calling you a liar!!! BUT that pin is extremely low at 19% for a two axle DRV.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #11
porthole

Quote:
NOT calling you a liar!!! BUT that pin is extremely low at 19% for a two axle DRV.
You think I don’t know that ?

Actually 18.7%

I was anticipating about 5K, added a bag to my hitch for that.

I use a spreadsheet for the math, no guessing.

The trailer brand new, leaving the dealer with only water and a few trip essentials was only 3600 pounds pin weight.

From the first overnight stay in this rig I thought it was unbalanced.

Axles near the middle, rear jacks too close to the rear axle. Using all the jacks, walking around the trailer feels like the rig is on the suspension.

I had conversations with two different DRV employees suggesting that the trailers are being built to enable less capability trucks to tow.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #12
Cummins12V98

These blocks I made did make our rig more stable.

What is your overall length fiberglass to fiberglass? I am about 40' 10"

Pin to first axle center? I am 24' 2"

Front cap to pin? I am 22"

"You think I don’t know that ?" Did NOT say you didn't just making an observation.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #13
OneReallyOldGuy

Ok guys, here comes my 2¢ worth since I am obsessed with weights. I have a 2019 39DBRS3 with the 1/2 bath. Love it BTW, only small regret is going with the double sinks in the front bath. Single sink would have given us more counter space.
The sticker on the door says it was 17,400 lbs. when it left the factory. We bought it with no furniture so that is plausible. RV’s For Less took it to Lambrite to pick up the furniture and then they installed the cheap heat system among other things. I brought my own king sized sleep number mattress and they set it up for me. Out the door with dry tanks and full propane bottles, 18,380 lbs.
I weighed it a couple of months ago with all our junk in it plus between 10 and 20 gallons of water spread out in the tanks. Fuel and DEF amounts on board the truck weren’t considered either so these numbers aren’t perfect.

4,080 lbs. pin weight
16,600 lbs. axle weight
20,680 lbs. trailer weight

I have mentioned in another post that I put stabilizer jacks at the rear of the coach to take the wiggle out, and with the amount of real estate behind that rear axle I have to be very mindful of the “swing” when turning. I’ve also grounded out the trailer hitch on the rear of the unit once. It saved the rear cap without a doubt.
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #14
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyOldGuy View Post
Ok guys, here comes my 2¢ worth since I am obsessed with weights. I have a 2019 39DBRS3 with the 1/2 bath. Love it BTW, only small regret is going with the double sinks in the front bath. Single sink would have given us more counter space.
The sticker on the door says it was 17,400 lbs. when it left the factory. We bought it with no furniture so that is plausible. RV’s For Less took it to Lambrite to pick up the furniture and then they installed the cheap heat system among other things. I brought my own king sized sleep number mattress and they set it up for me. Out the door with dry tanks and full propane bottles, 18,380 lbs.
I weighed it a couple of months ago with all our junk in it plus between 10 and 20 gallons of water spread out in the tanks. Fuel and DEF amounts on board the truck weren’t considered either so these numbers aren’t perfect.

4,080 lbs. pin weight
16,600 lbs. axle weight

I have mentioned in another post that I put stabilizer jacks at the rear of the coach to take the wiggle out, and with the amount of real estate behind that rear axle I have to be very mindful of the “swing” when turning. I’ve also grounded out the trailer hitch on the rear of the unit once. It saved the rear cap without a doubt.

Same 39DBRS3.
Ours was 19,140 from the factory. Extras that add weight are diesel generator, washer and dryer, 3000 magnum inverter 3 AC’s, MOR/ryde sliding tray, fiberglass roof and others.

The trailer hitch adds 6-8” less “attack angle” clearance, depending on where you measure.

Without the hitch you would probably never come close to the cap.

I have bottomed out on the end turning onto an uphill street near my house.
I have bottomed out the receiver chain hook plates in my driveway. I have since welded on bogey wheels. These take up almost 3” of the clearance, but at least backing square into my driveway I can roll up.
The trick is always try and meet the interference square.

What stabilizer jacks did you add? I have the electric rear jacks from our previous toy hauler I’m thinking of adding to minimize the bounce. My Cyclone trailer had a wider frame then the DRV, so I have to weld on some mounting plates.

I am beginning to think this trailer needs the front axle moved to behind the rear axle, re-do the J-wrap and trim. Heartland had a Big Horn model that had similar pin weight and stability problems. They (at the urging of the NHTSA) recalled 132 units and moved the axles.
2020 F-450
Old 03-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #15
porthole

Quote:
These blocks I made did make our rig more stable.

What is your overall length fiberglass to fiberglass? I am about 40' 10"

Pin to first axle center? I am 24' 2"

Front cap to pin? I am 22"
I have similar blocks for the front 12x12x10’s and use dimensional 3x12x22’s for the rear jacks.

Shouldn’t have to use anything. Only time in 9 seasons with my toy hauler I used any blocks was on soft ground. And the only time I used the rear electric stab jacks was when the dogs used the garage as their rough house room.

The jacks used on these 22K+ pound trailers are then same leveling jacks used on 14-15K 5th wheels. Perhaps using the same front rams in the rear would make them more stabile.

My overall length is the same.
It seems that most of the trailers only use a few different frames.

Are your other numbers using a plumb line or direct?
2020 F-450
Old 03-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #16
OneReallyOldGuy

Quote:
Same 39DBRS3.
Ours was 19,140 from the factory. Extras that add weight are diesel generator, washer and dryer, 3000 magnum inverter 3 AC’s, MOR/ryde sliding tray, fiberglass roof and others.

The trailer hitch adds 6-8” less “attack angle” clearance, depending on where you measure.

Without the hitch you would probably never come close to the cap.

I have bottomed out on the end turning onto an uphill street near my house.
I have bottomed out the receiver chain hook plates in my driveway. I have since welded on bogey wheels. These take up almost 3” of the clearance, but at least backing square into my driveway I can roll up.
The trick is always try and meet the interference square.

What stabilizer jacks did you add? I have the electric rear jacks from our previous toy hauler I’m thinking of adding to minimize the bounce. My Cyclone trailer had a wider frame then the DRV, so I have to weld on some mounting plates.

I am beginning to think this trailer needs the front axle moved to behind the rear axle, re-do the J-wrap and trim. Heartland had a Big Horn model that had similar pin weight and stability problems. They (at the urging of the NHTSA) recalled 132 units and moved the axles.
My almost 4’ long “signature” is forever embedded into his driveway. I tried to exit in a different direction than I entered. I’ll never try that again.
I bought a pair of jacks from Walmart.com for 40 bucks. Well worth it. Sorry about the sideways pic. I can’t get it to upload correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7BB55227-0A32-4344-9359-E0D0D1069385.jpg (187.0 KB, 14 views)
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #17
MTK46

Quote:

4,080 lbs. pin weight
16,600 lbs. axle weight

DRV must have made a change in the respect of where the axles are mounted now. My 2011 36RSSB3 with GVWR of 18k has 4010 pin weight 13,250 on the axles. Weighted it before I just installed two solar panels & two more batteries. That was with 100 gallons of water & both propane tanks full.
2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5556
2017 F-350 CC 6.7 diesel dually, Banks Derringer tuner with super gauge
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #18
porthole

Quote:
My almost 4’ long “signature” is forever embedded into his driveway. I tried to exit in a different direction than I entered. I’ll never try that again.
I bought a pair of jacks from Walmart.com for 40 bucks. Well worth it. Sorry about the sideways pic. I can’t get it to upload correctly.
My rollers leave marks in my concrete driveway, crushing all the high spots.

There is a camper at the park I’m in using those jacks, for the same reason

I have a pair of them at home, I’ll have to give it a try.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #19
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
DRV must have made a change in the respect of where the axles are mounted now
I’m hoping to compare a bunch of 39DBR’s of varying ages at 3 different rallies in the next 3 months.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #20
Begger

Quote:
I’m hoping to compare a bunch of 39DBR’s of varying ages at 3 different rallies in the next 3 months.
I’m very much looking forward to a report on what you find. Please let us know.

2007 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3520
"Waitin' for someday..."
Begger is offline   Reply With Quote