Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #21
Okie

Terry you had me go out and check the door sticker. I thought my 350 was higher than that.
Seeing that picture reminded me, when I was down in south Texas two years ago i saw a couple with a brand new Elite Suite and a brand new GMC 2500 to pull it. I wonder how they are doing now.

Okie

Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #22
rockyman

find theses at www.allseasonsrv.com

rockyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #23
bstark

Delaine and Lindy: Oy, I myself used a custom built 4400 to tow ours with but up here in Canuckistan (Ontario) that choice brings with it all of the commercial connotations with a full Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration (CVOR) being mandatory if the vehicle is over the 4600Kg GVWR and along with the mandatory Commercial A license required for these trailers as they impart more than 4600kg's to the roadway via their axles. It becomes a nightmare just maintaining the yearly application, fees and testing required after age 65. You can at least avoid the CVOR stuff if you have a tow vehicle that lends itself to being registered as a "motorhome" with sleeping (upper bunk) cooking (invertor run microwave) fresh water (small fresh storage tank/sink/pump and grey tank onboard) dedicated 120v outlet with outside connection and perhaps even a biffy with a small black tank etc., all being easily possible for a sleeper equipped class 8 but all but impossible for any MDT other than an expiditer type of truck.

Truth be told, up here, if you want to tow these things within the law and your trucks ratings it's getting more costly and aggravating every year to do so. Many people are becoming aware of this and opting for lighter trailers due to these very restrictive regs that on the face of it are discriminatory in their application while comparable weight motorhomes are given a free pass from all of this but the air certificate if equipped with air brakes!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #24
terry and jo

Bruce,

Just for curiosity, because it will be a long time before Jo and I can tour Canada, do the Canadian laws you are speaking of also apply to a U.S. registered and licensed vehicle and driver?

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
bstark

Terry and Jo: Full reciprocity applies throughout Canada. If you're legal there, you're legal here.

If you're towing the Mariner behind your trailer, you will raise some eyebrows for sure though!