Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Whirlwind

Ford f450- RV Hitch

I have a 2008 F450 with a Reese 20K Rv Hitch

My local Ford dealership recently reinstalled my RV hitch from my F350 to my F450. I have a couple questions for thought??

Using the 4"-5" factory star bolts that holds the factory bed to the frame, they went through the hitch rails and reattached. On the opposite side of the same rail, they used a carrage bolt and drilled through only the bed and attached with a large washer and nut. So in other words, there is only one bolt on each side of the rail that actually goes into and through the truck frame.

There are not other holes in the frame work of a F450 to attach brackets or other bolts into the rails. This dealership told me that Ford Motor Co. would void the factory warranty if holes were drilled into its frame work. So actually, there are 8 bolts holding my hitch down (4 going through the trucks main frame and 4 bolted only to the bed of the truck.)

Is this common for mounting a RV Hitch rail system into a Ford truck or would what would you do different? Any thoughts or comments -

The hitch seems to be tight and secure-

Whirlwind,
Lubbock,Texas

2 Honda 4x4 ATV's
Whirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

450 hitch

My first thought would be to contact Reese and see what they say about it. My personal feelings would be that if the rails worked before with 4 bolts in the frame, then it may be ok. Perhaps the rails should have been replaced with ones to fit the wider 450 frame? I can tell you the B&W frame hitch for the 450 is different from the 350.

And as far as weakening the frame rail, I don't believe you would have a problem with another 2 holes thru the leg part of the channel--maybe a large hole thru the main part would weaken it, but not a 1/2" hole where there are already some existing. If those 2 holes cause a frame problem, we shouldn't be using that frame to tow these loads.

Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
billr

I used to have a Reese 20K Classic in a Chevy and it was mounted with 4 brackets under the bed that bolted through the frame. The other 4 bolts were through the bed itself, not frame. That is the standard install I believe for this hitch.

I would do what was suggested and check the Reese web site or call them to verify the install. Also check that the bolts they used are Grade 8 bolts and lock nuts.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
bstark

They are just plain lie'n to you. All "C" channel framing is NOT to be drilled with ANY additional holes through the top or bottom part of the "C" BUT the side web is approved for hole drilling to attach brackets and such for the mounting of service bodies and hitches. Your hitch plates should not be mounted to a non-structural part of the truck such as the bed itself. They scrimped on effort and lied to you in the process.

Had your truck been ordered as a cab-chassis it would have come with literature describing these rules in detail. Look under any other large truck pulling a heavy trailer and you will readily see the brackets attached to the sides of the frame and extending upwards for the bolts coming through the bed to attach to and in most cases both bolts at the end of each rail will be grade five or eight and attach to those brackets. They took a short cut hoping you wouldn't notice.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Also, there should be two holes for each bracket drilled into the frame.
A lot of installers will skimp and not drill the extra holes that Reese says are required. Because the ford frames are tough to drill.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
golf_bears

I just got done checking the torque on the hitch installation on my 2008 F450. I have a Hensley TrailerSaver hitch mounted with standard “In the Bed Rails”, very similar to your rails if not identical. The rails are attached with the use of four angle brackets beneath the bed. The four carriage bolts on the rails attach to the top of the angle brackets. Each angle bracket is held to the frame with two bolts which go through the frame.

If I were you I would go back to the hitch installer and have them do it correctly. Have them show you the Ford literature that says your warranty will be voided if the hitch installation penetrates the chassis beams.

Keep us posted, this is a great thread for anyone questioning the proper way to install hitches.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
billr

Just to clarify, on my previous Reese install in tow different pickups, the brackets are indeed mounted to the SIDE of the frame with two bolts each. Just like Bruce, Huck and Golfbears mentioned. NO drilling ever though the top or bottom frame webs. Big no no in the truck world.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
Old 02-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Whirlwind

f450 and hitch

Guys, on my F450 there are no extra holes top to bottom on the main frame nor are there any extra holes on the sides of the c channel main frame. If there were extra holes from the factory, I would have a place to bolt and mount some side brackets to secure this hitch??
Wondering if the Factory forgot to drill some in it when the truck was being built?
I'll talk to a Reese Hitch Rep. and report back

Thanks for the replys,
Whirlwind
2 Honda 4x4 ATV's
Whirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
billr

Re: f450 and hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlwind
Guys, on my F450 there are no extra holes top to bottom on the main frame nor are there any extra holes on the sides of the c channel main frame. If there were extra holes from the factory, I would have a place to bolt and mount some side brackets to secure this hitch??
Wondering if the Factory forgot to drill some in it when the truck was being built?
I'll talk to a Reese Hitch Rep. and report back

Thanks for the replys,
Whirlwind
They need to be drilled.
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
Old 02-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
bstark

Would I be in error speculating that Reese would have a set of brackets designed for installation on the 450 frames? They may have a set designed with approval by Ford for drilling of the side of the frame rails. Perhaps even longer brackets like the ones used on previous models of PullRite hitches that were longer and used mounting holes for front and rear spring shackle mounts.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
wingnut60
Site Team

450 hitches

I believe the original mistake was to let the Ford dealer do the install--unless they farmed it out to an experienced hitch installer. My B&W hitch fit the 450 exactly--but it doesn't need any vertical bolts.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
cptxguys

I have at Reese signature searies 24K hitch on my 2010 F-450. It may be different than the 20K hitch you have, but it provides a reference point.

The mounting brackets are under the bed and attached throught the side of the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bolts_258.jpg (217.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg brackets_563.jpg (211.3 KB, 48 views)

2007 Doubltree Elite Suite 36RS3 #3756
cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote