Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Joezilla

Mobile Suites Cherry Wood

We have just ordered a 2016 MS Atlanta 43--we are very excited. I am curious about the cherry wood. First of all, is it really cherry wood? We opted for the lighter wood--honey cherry because I don't like the dark. I saw a 2014 with the lighter wood and the cabinets were BEAUTIFUL! It seems like for 2015 and 2016 the wood is different--the color is very streaky. We looked at 3 today with the lighter wood and it does not even compare to the 2014 I saw earlier in the week. Supposedly they are the same but I'm thinking not. I know wood accepts stain differently but in places some cabinets were almost striped where two pieces of wood were put together. I just can't figure out why the 2014 was so smooth and the color so even while the new ones are not. We have enjoyed the Crossfire Maple wood in our 2012 Select so much--it is beautiful and I almost feel like we are losing ground with this cherry wood. Just wondered if anyone had any insight into this. It is by no means a deal breaker but I sure wish this was not the case. I think the mocha cherry has some of the same problems but the wood seems to accept the darker stain better. (By the way this is Joezilla's wife posting.)

Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
Cummins12V98

Hi Joezilla's wife!

I heard you visited a mutual friend in Elk City OK recently.

We have the lighter Cherry and same here I don't like the DARK wood!

Cherry has a wide variety of colors, lighter to darker. It's wood!

To me it shows the character of the wood. The dark stain destroys that.

The maple you had is a much more even wood for color and it stains up very evenly.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
Willym

We have a 2015 with the Honey Cherry finish, the other colour offered was ay too dark and sombre looking for us. The key word here is "finish". I'm fairly sure that the wood is not Cherry, just stained to give a cherry like cool,. There are too many pale streaks in it, and although Cherry is often streaked with almost white sapwood, I think that the wood maybe Pecan. I've also tried to match some of the wood with some Cherry and that really shows the difference.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willym View Post
We have a 2015 with the Honey Cherry finish, the other colour offered was ay too dark and sombre looking for us. The key word here is "finish". I'm fairly sure that the wood is not Cherry, just stained to give a cherry like cool,. There are too many pale streaks in it, and although Cherry is often streaked with almost white sapwood, I think that the wood maybe Pecan. I've also tried to match some of the wood with some Cherry and that really shows the difference.
I guarantee you it is CHERRY! Carpenter for 38 years, I know my WOOD
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
hitchup

2014 was the last year for Maple. Then they switched to Cherry.

We have the dark Chestnut finish and we happen to like it on the Maple. The 2015's we've seen with Honey and the Cherry does seem to take the stain differently.

The best cabinet stain color we had was the 2006 Elite w/Maple. Our 2009 MS stain was too orange.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
Joezilla

Thanks for the replies. I think I am just spoiled by my current Crossfire Maple. I will adjust and be fine. I really like the overall stain color of the honey cherry and no way could I do the dark. I'm still excited about our new one but it is nice to know others have thought the same thing. I don' want to be too picky but it is a lot of money and I want to be right in my choices.

Wllym, thanks for the word "somber". That describes exactly the dark brown for me.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #7
Joezilla

Cummins12V98, yes I did have a great visit in Elk City last week--quite a whirlwind afternoon! Thanks for the explanation about the wood--I could tell, looking at it, that it wasn't a wood that took stain evenly. Too bad I can't have my maple back. Oh, well, I can't wait to get our new home on wheels!!!!
Old 07-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
MooseSuite

We just love the cherry finish and the craftsmanship in the DRV Elite upgraded interior. Very nice pic here of the Elite slide facia.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #9
Willym

OK, thanks. The Black Cherry that I've used in cabinet making for several years definitely looks different. Perhaps DRV's cabinet supplier uses a coloured stain to even the tones somewhat. I tend to just put clear finishes on my projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I guarantee you it is CHERRY! Carpenter for 38 years, I know my WOOD
Old 07-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #10
HOWITTRO

How do you get by without a bedroom door when you have company?
Bob
HOWITTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
MooseSuite

There is a slider door. You can just see the edge of the valance on the pic. We chose a solid cherry door. keeps the A/C systems very functional.